• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nexomon Extinction (Spiritual Successor to Pokemon) coming August 25th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

There's not a video gamer alive that hasn't at least heard of the pokemon franchise, and who couldn't? It's one of the largest franchises on the planet. Recently the games have gone a bit downhill, both in quality and in competitive battling (30 minutes is not enough time for a 6 V 6, I know this, and so do you). In wake of this, a spiritual successor of sorts is rising from Ios and coming to Switch, steam, PS4 and more!
1595651797348.png
blurry image that I found on steam, I did not take this image.
To deviate from the pre-established formula, there are some changes.
-Instead of 3 starters, you have a choice of 7,
-You "tame" monsters instead of catching them in triangles
-To settle the missing father trend, your character is an orphan.
Honestly I don't know how to feel about this, It's great that they're harkening back to Gen 4 graphics on stronger hardware, but will this be a mighty number 9 or Shantae situation.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Pokemon alternatives have always existed. We've had Digimon and Monster Rancher (which was revived recently). There's also the ROM hacking community, which has existed for a long time. It was through the ROM hacking community that I played an obviously unofficial remake of Pokemon Gold Version: ShinyGold, lol. I loved it to death. It was during the period that Gen4 was first announced and unveiled, and since Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, the desire of a Johto remake was always present.

Obviously, after playing ShinyGold, I played SoulSilver.

---

But I digress. The point is that there will always exist Pokemon alternatives (Yokai Watch comes to mind, now that I think about it). So every single entry has the potential to either be good or be a bit of a mess like how Mighty No.9 was.

Soldier

Awards
Pokemon alternatives have always existed. We've had Digimon and Monster Rancher (which was revived recently). There's also the ROM hacking community, which has existed for a long time. It was through the ROM hacking community that I played an obviously unofficial remake of Pokemon Gold Version: ShinyGold, lol. I loved it to death. It was during the period that Gen4 was first announced and unveiled, and since Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, the desire of a Johto remake was always present.

Obviously, after playing ShinyGold, I played SoulSilver.

---

But I digress. The point is that there will always exist Pokemon alternatives (Yokai Watch comes to mind, now that I think about it). So every single entry has the potential to either be good or be a bit of a mess like how Mighty No.9 was.
I guess I can see some of that, Invizimals was another one with a similar concept to the ones you mentioned. I guess what separates this one is the relative "closeness" to the source material. How much is retained remains to be seen.

Veevee

Awards
I'm always excited for every Pokémon clone because the main Pokémon series just doesn't do it anymore for me. I can't bring myself to finish Pokémon games nowadays because I never get the feeling that I could succeed at one of their main goals. Catch all Pokémon? Probably impossible if you don't keep up with every Legendary promo code, basically buy the same game twice under different names and invest a looot of time. Be the best trainer? I can beat the Elite 4 without problem, but my team i nowhere near competitively good. Finish the story - what story? I'm not saying the Pokémon games are bad, but they're just not up my alley anymore. Still, every now and then I really want to play something with monster catching (loved the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, found Ni no Kuni okay and didn't really get that much into Yokai Watch) and hope that this one will do good.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I guess I can see some of that, Invizimals was another one with a similar concept to the ones you mentioned. I guess what separates this one is the relative "closeness" to the source material. How much is retained remains to be seen.
Also, GameFreak isn't that big and competent of a developer either. Pokemon I think is owned by the Pokemon Company, Nintendo and GameFreak, and last I checked, the Pokemon Company wasn't very interested in expanding Pokemon beyond the app games.

The Pokemon Company literally took a flavor of the app gaming economy and don't want to return to mainline.

Soldier

Awards
I'm always excited for every Pokémon clone because the main Pokémon series just doesn't do it anymore for me. I can't bring myself to finish Pokémon games nowadays because I never get the feeling that I could succeed at one of their main goals. Catch all Pokémon? Probably impossible if you don't keep up with every Legendary promo code, basically buy the same game twice under different names and invest a looot of time. Be the best trainer? I can beat the Elite 4 without problem, but my team i nowhere near competitively good. Finish the story - what story? I'm not saying the Pokémon games are bad, but they're just not up my alley anymore. Still, every now and then I really want to play something with monster catching (loved the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, found Ni no Kuni okay and didn't really get that much into Yokai Watch) and hope that this one will do good.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. And wow, another person who played Ni No Kuni, how rare! you never find people like that around here.

Veevee

Awards
Glad to know I'm not the only one. And wow, another person who played Ni No Kuni, how rare! you never find people like that around here.

Oh, really? I thought Ni no Kuni was quite a popular game, especially with the PS4 port. I fairly liked it, but the AI was so, so bad, lol in the first one and I never really got attached to the spirit thingies in the second one. Really hope they get the familiars back for the announced third one, but with better AI this time.

And for the topic: Nexomon releases one day before my birthday, so I asked my brother to get it for me! So excited. I hope that there is some kind of crocodile Nexomon. :')

Edit: If you ever want to talk about Ni no Kuni, feel free to write me a message.

Soldier

Awards
Oh, really? I thought Ni no Kuni was quite a popular game, especially with the PS4 port. I fairly liked it, but the AI was so, so bad, lol in the first one and I never really got attached to the spirit thingies in the second one. Really hope they get the familiars back for the announced third one, but with better AI this time.

And for the topic: Nexomon releases one day before my birthday, so I asked my brother to get it for me! So excited. I hope that there is some kind of crocodile Nexomon. :')

Edit: If you ever want to talk about Ni no Kuni, feel free to write me a message.
I always thought of Ni No Kuni as one of those "uncommon" games that people played. Yes, it is popular, but not to the extent of other japanese games. A good example of this is to look at the wiki of the game if it has one. Of course, ones like Zelda and Pokemon have very detailed articles with hidden secrets, trivia and fan theories. While others like Ni No Kuni are very limited in what they display/ how they are navigated. Sure, there are articles on Oliver and co, But they don't go in depth with the character's backstory or things besides that. It's a good game for certain, but some problems like AI and familiar capture mechanics hold it back from being great. (and I will take you up on that offer one of these days, mark my words).
Would it be that much of a spoiler to say that there's a lot of Nexomon in this game and that they cover a wide variety of fauna of differing types (Reptiles, birds, mammalian species).You might get lucky!

Soldier

Awards
Well, I've actually played through the game for a bit, and I have to say, it's actually pretty solid.
Sure, the artstyle screams IOS freenium game (which Nexomon was, initially by the way) but some of the creatures are actually well designed and make sense for their environments. This is also one of the few monster catching games where you can legitimately catch EVERY starter, all 7 of them are out in the wild for you to get of your own accord. Granted, they are hard to come across but it's not like they're all 1% encounters (I'm looking at you Pokemon Emerald, 1% encounter rate for a seedot, that's not okay). The humor is great, poking fun at classic RPG tropes like breaking into houses and stealing stuff. Honestly, In my eyes its a homage done right for the most part. Check it out if you're able to.

Veevee

Awards
I've also played Nexomon for a bit now and it's really nice. I think the dialogue is ... overdone, I love games poking fun at JPRG tropes, but this game has more of these meta-level jokes than actual dialogue which gets tiresome after a while when you get going and your companion blurts out "oh, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?" again and I just think "yeah, okay, I got it, it's a game and a JRPG on top, this is how games work, jeez". Despite that, I love the Nexomon designs, some are funny, some are cute as hell and I genuinely enjoy how many Nexomon are there per grass patch. I can hardly decide who to train, they're all so lovely.
Also, I already found a shiny one! Some Goldfish ... thingy.

Soldier

Awards
I've also played Nexomon for a bit now and it's really nice. I think the dialogue is ... overdone, I love games poking fun at JPRG tropes, but this game has more of these meta-level jokes than actual dialogue which gets tiresome after a while when you get going and your companion blurts out "oh, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?" again and I just think "yeah, okay, I got it, it's a game and a JRPG on top, this is how games work, jeez". Despite that, I love the Nexomon designs, some are funny, some are cute as hell and I genuinely enjoy how many Nexomon are there per grass patch. I can hardly decide who to train, they're all so lovely.
Also, I already found a shiny one! Some Goldfish ... thingy.
Yeah.... I'm at the point in the game where it's kind of wearing thin. Great that they didn't completely mimic Pokemon's style but it could be toned down a bit. Ah, you found a cosmic (what this game calls a shiny Nexomon)? good for you!. Unlike Pokemon, Nexomon has a greater chance of you finding one, and the closer you get to the end game, you're more likely to encounter them. According to punisher1379 on gamefaqs these are the rates.
  • Early Game - 1/4000
  • Mid Game - 1/3500
  • Late Game - 1/3000
  • Every unique Nexomon that is SEEN: Subtract one from the encounter rate (-1 each, for up to -381).
  • Every unique Nexomon that is OWNED: Subtract two from the encounter rate (-2 each, for up to -762).
  • Late Game + All Nexomon Owned - 1/1857
So with this in mind, it's very likely that you'll go through the entire game and have a chance of at least find ONE cosmic nexomon. Much more forgiving than Pokemon's insane methods (I need to encounter 500 cufants to have a better chance of getting a shiny? what?)

Back