• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

NEXT GAME: | ReMake: Union X | or | Next Entry Game (DDD2, Yozora game) | ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

YOU PREFER THE NEXT GAME TO BE: | ReMake: Union X | or | Next Entry Game (DDD2, Yozora game) | ?

• Re:UX (the remake from origin mobile game but with KH3 gameplay). Then, SE can make the next Spinoff

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Next Entry Game, continuing the story as it ended MoM. Just make UX:Back Cover in a collection...

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Next Entry Game, continuing the story as it ended MoM. Make Re:Union X after that.

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

cakito123

Awards
Hey everyone!
I've been curious:
How many of us actually want a UX remake?
Do you care for the game at all or would you rather move on to the next entry? Do you care only for the story and would bother playing through it again even with a remake?

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I've wanted Re:χ since before there was a Uχ

We still don't know what that fourth team the mentioned has been doing this whole time, I want to believe they've been preparing a Uχ(DR?) remake to be announced shortly after DR's offline version goes live.
coded's remake started almost immediately after the final episode was released, and Nomura's not gonna let the foundational story of the next saga waste away as a theater mode on your phone.

Plus, a remake allows him to Final Mix it up and tweak the story a bit. Make things a little clearer, add new scenes, etc.
Not to mention, many fans won't bother with UXDR even when it's completely free due to the mobile platform, the gameplay (or lack thereof), the graphics... A remake serves to once again consolidate the franchise and the fanbase and fully prepare us to move forward into the new story.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Move on with the Quadratum game. I'm not really interested in a remake of UX at the moment. Maybe after that game comes out I'll be more open to it

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Why not both? We did see two empty slots instead of one during the second phase announcement of Kingdom Hearts.

cakito123

Awards
Why not both? We did see two empty slots instead of one during the second phase announcement of Kingdom Hearts.
We all would choose both if we could, but I doubt Square Enix will release 2 different games at the same time. One shall come first. Which one would you want more, right now?

Last edited:

WaltK

Awards
Do you care for the game at all or would you rather move on to the next entry?
My lack of caring for the game is exactly why it needs a remake.

The format of the original game and how it insisted on drip feeding you the plot to the point where it was impossible to keep up with what was happening is why I was ultimately turned off the game and never had any desire to try it again. And that’s a crying shame because I do care about the plot. I care because it’s going to be pretty damn important going forward with the series, it’s a plot I need to get invested in in order for many of the plot points that are coming to make as much sense as possible, and it’s not my fault that the current iteration of the game does such a piss poor job of conveying that plot to me.

This is why remaking this game should be a top priority. So that these plot points can finally be delivered in a way that will make them stick in my mind.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm not expecting a mobile entry anytime soon, what with the mobile entries in the FF7R universe upping the quality of Square mobile games. I presume the next step in the KH mobile team is to sit down and see what type of KH game they can make that can be of better quality than what they've done already.

cakito123

Awards
I'm finding really curious and surprising how most votes went to Make a Back Cover of Ux...
I mean, really? I know I'm probably alone in that one but I always prefer when KH go the playable route for telling stories. That's how I loved the franchise in the first place, as a game... I really don't think any KH story works really well without playable segments.

Adding to that, Back Cover was AWFULLY paced. Instead of making a big movie out of the story they prefered to make a collection of mostly boring cutscenes with awful transition between them. Really. As a watchable experience in the first place, Back Cover should have been a lot better - it doesn't sound like a movie or a story well told when you stop to watch by.

Can't say I understand this choice. Why wouldn't you want a Ux Game Remake down the line? Wtf?

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Hey everyone!
I've been curious:
Do you care for the game at all or would you rather move on to the next entry? Do you care only for the story and would bother playing through it again even with a remake?
I want the Snake Jafar bossfight in a non-mobile game, that good enough?

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm finding really curious and surprising how most votes went to Make a Back Cover of Ux...
I mean, really? I know I'm probably alone in that one but I always prefer when KH go the playable route for telling stories. That's how I loved the franchise in the first place, as a game... I really don't think any KH game works really well without playable segments.

Adding to that, Back Cover was AWFULLY paced. Instead of making a big movie out of the story they prefered to make a collection of mostly boring cutscenes with awful transition between them. Really. As a watchable experience in the first place, Back Cover should have been a lot better - it doesn't sound like a movie or a story well told when you stop to watch by.

Can't say I understand this choice. Why wouldn't you want a Ux Game Remake down the line? Wtf?

Speaking for myself here, I’m itching for a new story. I’m totally fatigued by the 7-year drip feed and can’t say the Ux plot or characters have captivated me so much that I would be dying to play a full-fledged RPG title in that setting (not that it doesn’t have interesting story content). Let’s just move on for crying out loud. Yes, I’d kill to see the Ux story properly told (gimme those cutscenes), but playing as our main cast of characters in the present day timeline of unfolding events will always be head and shoulders more appealing to me than the prospect of retreading a bunch of Disney Book of Prophecy projections/data worlds as... Player? Ephemer? I just can’t see it being an appealing 30-40 hour action adventure RPG without a significant overhaul of concept.

In an ideal world, sure, why not, give us both! But a full-fledged remake would be a massive undertaking and undoubtedly slow down progress on the rest of the story. No thanks.

Also, IMO, Back Cover partially suffered because it told an incomplete story without an ending. I think filling it out with a Ux follow-up could help redeem it.

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
In an ideal world, sure, why not, give us both! But a full-fledged remake would be a massive undertaking and undoubtedly slow down progress on the rest of the story. No thanks.
But KH has multiple development teams working on it, now.
So, it's really not a situation like "we took a few KHIII employees to put together 1.5, and remaking Days would require taking more from the KHIII team" anymore.
In addition, UX is in a place where fully remaking it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as much of it already exists. All of the assets made for Back Cover can be reused. Music is already made. Maps, characters, enemies, and equipment are already designed. The story is already written. It would probably run in UE4 and use KHIII's basic gameplay engines.
It's really not as big of an ask as people make it out to be.

I think everyone wants to continue into new story. And I get being burnt out on this game.
But if we're thinking in the long term, is it really good to just turn it into a movie?
I mean, the app is already being converted into a Theater Mode. Why bother remaking it at all if it's just another Theater Mode?

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm more interested in moving on to the next game, just forward in the story and keep going. But if at any point they do come out with a proper remake of Unchained/Union that isn't a mobile slog, I'd be in for it.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yea, points well taken, I mean I could be convinced on the game concept, though I’m not sure I’m persuaded development of a full remake title would be as small a task as you’re suggesting. Even with much of the character/setting design and story beats available, the scale and style of the mobile game is of an entirely different type and magnitude; it’s not a simple copy and paste translation, there are an enormous array of gameplay, systems, level design, narrative design, side content etc details that would have to be developed if not from square 1 then from square 2. Unless the suggestion here is that the scale of this theoretical game would be something more akin to the handheld titles we’ve received in the past, but I’ve yet to see any evidence that that middle-ground model will apply and hold up in the current age of UE4 and console prioritization for the KH series. Or they could keep it brief and concise, in the spirit of 0.2, cutting out all the Disney filler content? Certainly a possibility and could be cool indeed. I’m not altogether averse to receiving something playable.

In any case, I’m obviously inferring a lot and this is mostly guesswork. If they announced a Ux remake, I’d be as excited as the next guy, but my personal preference is: whatever time and resources they’d consider investing in a full remake title, I’d prefer they instead invest in another future story.

Last edited:

NoWay

Awards
I was wondering how a Ux remake would even work. The main story does take place in only one room where the new Union Leaders interact with each other. The playable character isn’t interacting in any way with them. So how would a remake work? The gameplay in the Disney worlds would be like COM only filler just to see cutscenes with characters the playable character does not even interact with.

Or we could play as the new Union Leaders. But same question: how do you justify leaving the Foreteller’s room as they don’t leave it the whole game?

cakito123

Awards
Speaking for myself here, I’m itching for a new story. I’m totally fatigued by the 7-year drip feed and can’t say the Ux plot or characters have captivated me so much that I would be dying to play a full-fledged RPG title in that setting (not that it doesn’t have interesting story content). Let’s just move on for crying out loud. Yes, I’d kill to see the Ux story properly told (gimme those cutscenes), but playing as our main cast of characters in the present day timeline of unfolding events will always be head and shoulders more appealing to me than the prospect of retreading a bunch of Disney Book of Prophecy projections/data worlds as... Player? Ephemer? I just can’t see it being an appealing 30-40 hour action adventure RPG without a significant overhaul of concept.

Also, IMO, Back Cover partially suffered because it told an incomplete story without an ending. I think filling it out with a Ux follow-up could help redeem it.

Imho I don't think we need to rush to tell good stories. Every new step forward is valid, even if it is a remake like Chain of Memories was. KH has always gone really slow progressing the story and I don't think that's bad - bbs was made to prequel the present time characters and the story was really good - Days was also made to show unshowed parts about Org XIII and Roxas's life, and that didn't really progress the story forward in any way - it only expanded our known horizons. Why would UX be so different? Don't you think maybe you are so anxious to new content that you forgot that KH has always been about coming back to the past to expand the 'lore'?

So, it's really not a situation like "we took a few KHIII employees to put together 1.5, and remaking Days would require taking more from the KHIII team" anymore.
In addition, UX is in a place where fully remaking it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as much of it already exists. All of the assets made for Back Cover can be reused. Music is already made. Maps, characters, enemies, and equipment are already designed. The story is already written. It would probably run in UE4 and use KHIII's basic gameplay engines.
It's really not as big of an ask as people make it out to be.

I think everyone wants to continue into new story. And I get being burnt out on this game.
But if we're thinking in the long term, is it really good to just turn it into a movie?
I mean, the app is already being converted into a Theater Mode. Why bother remaking it at all if it's just another Theater Mode?

exactly my thoughs! I Don't think KH stories work really well out of games. The mangas are a really cool adaptation but even there the way the story progresses are reaaaally game-y (as it is supposed to be).

As for the amount of work a Remake of UX would have... I agree it wouldn't be so hard to make like KH3 was, but I don't think it'd be that easy too. There's a lot of disney worlds in the game still

I was wondering how a Ux remake would even work. The main story does take place in only one room where the new Union Leaders interact with each other. The playable character isn’t interacting in any way with them. So how would a remake work? The gameplay in the Disney worlds would be like COM only filler just to see cutscenes with characters the playable character does not even interact with.

Or we could play as the new Union Leaders. But same question: how do you justify leaving the Foreteller’s room as they don’t leave it the whole game?

I can imagine 2 hypothetical scenarios for a Remake UX:

One where we play as our own character just like the mobile game - cutscenes from the Foretellers would occur the same as in the mobile version but on Unreal Engine, the dialogues would be the same and everything would be just a straight up translation to the mobile version - but with KH3 combat and gameplay. They could add some Side quests to Daybreak Town to make the world more alive, and possibly a PvP online minigame/tournament!

The other scenario I imagine would be ditching UX's character player and tiny readjusting the story to play as the Foretellers - I can see how Player seems reaaally dettached from the main plot, and I don't think it would make much difference putting Ephemer/Ventus/Skuld play out the main role in the disney worlds. I even think it would be more interesting due to the mute personality our player do have in the original game. It isn't interesting to be muted around such lively worlds and characters...

Which one would you prefer if that was the case? Do you have any better ideas for how the Remake would change something?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
A potential UX remake would require rewrites regardless of whether they axe the Player or not.

With the Player, at least the framework is already there. Just copy/paste from the existing material and expand to make them more involved. The Disney filler is unfortunately still a problem, but so long as its executed well I suppose it's fine? Even in our discussions, it seems like people are willing to put up with it if only to fight more Disney bosses lol. In this scenario, something like KH3 Tangled but without obvious gaps in the story would be ideal.

If we were to remove the Player, we have to account for how certain aspects of the plot would occur without them, primarily during the events of the original KHX where their involvement is key.
  • How does Ephemer know to go to the Foretellers' Chamber?
  • How/Why does Skuld get involved at all?
  • Who witnesses the fallout between the Foretellers and even the Keyblade War itself if everyone is a Dandelion?
  • Why do the Union leaders bother implementing Ava's rules at all?
  • What are the circumstances of Strelitzia's death?
So on and so forth.

At the end of the day, I think the best option would be to canonize the Player and flesh them out as an actual character rather than a silent avatar. Understandably however they do this is going to come to some resistance (I myself have been vocal about the inevitability of them using this as an excuse to introduce yet another boy when this would be the perfect opportunity to put a new girl at the forefront). But considering how attached UX players are to their avatar, I'm of the opinion this would be the better option instead of rewriting another character to take their place, keeping them on the sidelines and just referring to them vaguely for the entire game, or removing their influence (albeit now greatly diminished) from the story completely.

My 2 pennies.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm cool with a Union X remake from Ven's perspective. It's a kill two birds with one stone scenario.

I'm open to Verum Rex game but I'm skeptical about if I'm gonna like it. Verum Rex worked more as a tongue in cheek joke than a legit story tease.

I don't mind spinoffs with the other cast members but just limiting them to finding Sora is pretty meh.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Imho I don't think we need to rush to tell good stories. Every new step forward is valid, even if it is a remake like Chain of Memories was. KH has always gone really slow progressing the story and I don't think that's bad

I hear you. My particular issue is not so much that Ux is a prequel; it’s more that I feel lukewarm about its story and characters. It’s been ongoing for the better part of a decade and while it’s occasionally stimulating and offers some intrigue, I don’t find it compelling vis-a-vis the beauty and emotional impact which I cherish about the series overall. I cannot say the same about BBS or Days, or gosh, even Coded; those games could probably be told chibi-style and still strike a chord as far as I’m concerned. Nevertheless, I’m sure the issue here is at least in part owed to Ux’s mode of presentation and pace of release diluting many of its redeeming qualities. A full remake could definitely go a long way in making me actually feel deeply invested in a way I’m currently not — I’m very much open to that possibility and would welcome it. But as of now, I simply don’t find the game compelling enough to make me particularly enthusiastic in wanting anything more than some pretty cutscenes.

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
At the end of the day, I think the best option would be to canonize the Player and flesh them out as an actual character rather than a silent avatar. Understandably however they do this is going to come to some resistance (I myself have been vocal about the inevitability of them using this as an excuse to introduce yet another boy when this would be the perfect opportunity to put a new girl at the forefront). But considering how attached UX players are to their avatar, I'm of the opinion this would be the better option instead of rewriting another character to take their place, keeping them on the sidelines and just referring to them vaguely for the entire game, or removing their influence (albeit now greatly diminished) from the story completely.

My 2 pennies.
Player has gotten less silent as the game has progressed, not so much in the Disney worlds but certainly in the main story.
I'm fairly certain that Player's ultimate fate will be in such a way that their identity is irrelevant and they can be safely referred to as "a certain Keyblade wielder" or in Ephemera's case "my friend."

I don't think UX would need much tweaking narratively in a remake. Disney worlds sure feel long the way the game is now, but in a console game they'd be similar to how the worlds already work. If necessary they can truncate the stories for pacing. And as for the main story, it functions like any other narrative with a player-created protagonist.

Back