• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Source: Nintendo Power magazine to cease publication (updated) | Ars Technica

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Gamers of a certain age likely remember the days when their main fix of information about new and upcoming video games came in the form of the monthly Nintendo Power magazine that was delivered directly to their mailbox. That experience is set to become yet another relic of a past era, as Ars Technica has learned that Future Publishing is planning to stop publishing the magazine.

Nintendo Power is one of the longest-running game magazines in the country, having been published continuously since the summer of 1988, when it started as a bi-monthly outgrowth of the previous Nintendo Fun Club newsletter. Nintendo produced and distributed the magazine (with articles that were often just thinly veiled marketing copy) from 1989 through late 2007, when it started contracting the brand out for a more independent angle from tech-and-game-focused Future Publishing.

But our source says that Nintendo, which was always "difficult to work with," was uninterested in renewing that contract or in taking part in a number of digital initiatives that Future saw as necessary for the long-term health of the brand. He added that Nintendo doesn't seem interested in taking over direct control of the magazine again (Nintendo and Future representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment for this story).

Nintendo Power editors and staffers were told of the magazine's impending shuttering last week, the source said, and are currently being transitioned to work on other Future properties, including GamesRadar and MacLife magazine. The move should not affect Future's other gaming magazines, which include official periodicals for the PlayStation and Xbox brands, as well as Best Buy's @Gamer.

It's unclear exactly how many more issues of Nintendo Power are planned after the recently published August issue (its 281st), or how current subscribers will be compensated. Nintendo Power enjoys a total monthly readership of 475,000, according to Future press materials.

Nintendo Power's shuttering comes during a time of continuing struggles for the US magazine industry, which saw overall circulation numbers decline 10 percent in the first half of 2012. Gamers have increasingly come to rely on online sources for more timely and less space-limited gaming coverage, leading the venerable GamePro magazine to stop publishing late last year after 23 years in print.

There is at least one bright spot in the world of printed game magazines. Game Informer rose to become the third most popular magazine in the country this year, with nearly 6 million subscribers that were mostly gained through its point-of-sale relationship with mega-retailer GameStop.

UPDATE: Nintendo Power senior editor Chris Hoffman seemed to confirm our source's information on Twitter, saying that he was "sad to see it go" and that the editorial team would "try to make the last issues memorable." Nintendo Power writer Phil Theobald, meanwhile, promised on Twitter that they had "something pretty sweet planned for the final issue." [Further update: It seems the tweets in question have been deleted after publication.]

Nintendo Power is the first video game magazine ever, so this is kinda sad. :c

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Game Informer has become more popular than Nintendo Power, so I see another reason why it would go down.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Nintendo Power is the first video game magazine ever, so this is kinda sad. :c

Actually...
ElectronicGamesWinter81.jpg

This was the first video game magazine ever. Founded in 1981 by Arnie Katz and the late Bill Kunkel, who went on to helm Tips & Tricks before its transition to bimonthly codebook (which led to its demise).

That said, another magazine I had wanted to write for is dying. First, Tips & Tricks and now this. I am saddened at this news.

Gram

Banned
Awards
ah thats kinda sad one more piece of my childhood has died T~T

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Where will I get all my information now, about new upcoming games, interviews, and pictures!? ;u; well it was good while it lasted.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
From GoNintendo:
Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012. For Nintendo Power subscription inquiries, please visit nintendopower.com/customerservice. Check out Nintendo at nintendo.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/nintendo or on Twitter @nintendoamerica. - Nintendo statement

Nintendo has also confirmed that the magazine is not moving to a new publisher, which is definitely the death knell for the long-time magazine.

Also worth noting, some of the staff have said that they're going to try doing something special for the last issue, but tweets making that statement have since been removed.

soraalam1

This is kind of far fetched but maybe someday they will revive it as a digital mag. Super unlikely though, RIP Nintendo Power.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Game Informer has become more popular than Nintendo Power, so I see another reason why it would go down.

The sad truth is that print publications will likely cease fairly soon altogether. There isn't a single thing in a magazine you can't get online immediately. Besides editorial, opinion, and review. Which I guess is what games are especially known for, but then again, it's easier to manage a website with only writers and one designer than a bunch of writers and a bunch of designers.

tl;dr Magazines are pointless nowadays.

Ranko

I remember the feeling of coming home from another boring day at school and seeing a new issue of Nintendo Power in the mail, it was great. I haven't had a subscription since after junior high but it's still sad to see it die. For nostalgic reasons I'll be sure to buy the final issue and I really hope Nester is in it.

Oran

Awards
Everyone is acting like Nintendo Power has already closed down o_O Their still going to have a few more issues till December...

But yes this is rather sad news...

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I'm honestly kinda surprised they even still kept publishing these. I didn't know they did.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
Back in the day, you didn't find out about new games until you read Nintendo Power. Nowadays, you already know about it by the time the next issue comes out. Like I mentioned in my previous post on this thread, I loved Nintendo Power, but honestly, there's really no point for it to keep going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back