• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you be buying the Nintendo Switch at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
The Mario Movie Cast reveal was the funniest dang thing I've seen all week. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, for real. That and needing to pay extra for the (crappy) Switch online service in order to be able to play the N64 games were the only real downsides to the Direct, and I'm honestly looking forward to a lot of the games they announced. That Voice of Cards game was a surprise and looked right up my alley tbh.
I definitely want to keep an eye out for Voice of Cards, that looked unique and very interesting. Especially since it's by Yoko Taro, I'm sold it will be quality.

Also, I know I told you earlier, but I'm excited to finally play Banjo and Kazooie with the new N64 online on Switch. I'm all about emulating old/inaccessible games, but I pretty much only emulate on my phone and don't really care to play a 3D platformer with a touchscreen, so this will br a great chance for me to finally play that classic.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
That's probably my vision them. idk, there's something about it that gives off the same architectural vibe in RG. Especially the castle walls

View attachment 14284

It's probably just me then, you may be right.
Super 100% Alexandria from FF9.

AlexandriaMainStreet1.png

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I dunno why is everyone is laughing at the cast; it’s literally filled with top tier actors. I mean, that’s amazing in my opinion. Funniest thing was the Chocobo GP announcement, which is a straight up rip off/clone of Mario Kart..on a Nintendo Direct. Oh the irony

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
People are reacting stronger to this than they did for Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu or Jim Carrey as Robotnik, which honestly felt the more out there casting.

Edit: longer trailer for Disney World:

Last edited:

disney233

Awards
Then that's my fault apologies. I didn't even see it and just feigned ignorance.
I dunno why is everyone is laughing at the cast; it’s literally filled with top tier actors. I mean, that’s amazing in my opinion.
But that's the thing. Like, I admire the voice acting, but...even I got a laugh out of it because....WHY all these top-tier actors? Charles Martinet is LITERALLY RIGHT THERE, I don't get why he can't voice HIS OWN CHARACTER.

What I keep seeing thrown around in defense of Pratt is that Martinet's Mario voice doesn't fit well in movie length. And like...I don't understand this logic. I really don't. It's MARIO? I-Is Pratt not going to do a Mario voice, himself? It's MARIO...I don't understand, and Martinet voiced MARIO since 1995. Like...I feel like that's the only part of the voice cast that just...genuinely gets me confused. As well as the arguments against the literal voice of THE GUY WHO THE MOVIE'S ABOUT.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
But that's the thing. Like, I admire the voice acting, but...even I got a laugh out of it because....WHY all these top-tier actors? Charles Martinet is LITERALLY RIGHT THERE, I don't get why he can't voice HIS OWN CHARACTER.

What I keep seeing thrown around in defense of Pratt is that Martinet's Mario voice doesn't fit well in movie length. And like...I don't understand this logic. I really don't. It's MARIO? I-Is Pratt not going to do a Mario voice, himself? It's MARIO...I don't understand, and Martinet voiced MARIO since 1995. Like...I feel like that's the only part of the voice cast that just...genuinely gets me confused. As well as the arguments against the literal voice of THE GUY WHO THE MOVIE'S ABOUT.
Martinet's voice gets....irritating to listen to at long lengths. He really only works in short bursts.

Now imagine a whole 90 minute movie of that. I imagine a lot of people can only stomach that for so long.

disney233

Awards
Martinet's voice gets....tiring to listen to at long lengths. He really only works in short bursts.

Now imagine a whole 90 minute movie of that.
.....I IMAGINE IT BECAUSE IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT MARIO. THE CHARACTER HE'S VOICED SINCE 1995...A-AND HE'S RIGHT THERE!
Is a goofy Italian accent...not what makes Mario? What would be different? And this begs the question, how would Pratt portray Mario? This logic still just...confuses me.

Edit: I literally watched the whole thing, and I don't see the problem here...IT'S MARIO?

Last edited:

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Also, I know I told you earlier, but I'm excited to finally play Banjo and Kazooie with the new N64 online on Switch. I'm all about emulating old/inaccessible games, but I pretty much only emulate on my phone and don't really care to play a 3D platformer with a touchscreen, so this will br a great chance for me to finally play that classic.
Bro I've been dying to play Banjo-Kazooie again for a while now but seriously did not want to set up my N64 or buy an Xbox for it. This is honestly great, increase price point and all.

I dunno why is everyone is laughing at the cast; it’s literally filled with top tier actors. I mean, that’s amazing in my opinion. Funniest thing was the Chocobo GP announcement, which is a straight up rip off/clone of Mario Kart..on a Nintendo Direct. Oh the irony
People are reacting stronger to this than they did for Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu or Jim Carrey as Robotnik, which honestly felt the more out there casting.
People are laughing because it's the most funniest thing most of them have heard in a while. Like, having just one Hollywood actor voicing one of these characters would be in "whatever' territory, but getting wombo combo'd by so many oddball A-listers in a row was just too much to handle with a straight face. If it was just Pratt playing Mario or Rogan playing DK it'd be funny but forgettable, like Reynolds and Carrey in their roles, but getting hit over the head four times in a row with Hollywood celebrities instead of talented voice actors is too much, man. Especially when Charles Martinet is right there who, btw, has a much wider range than just the "wahoo" voices he uses for the Mario characters.

Martinet's voice gets....irritating to listen to at long lengths. He really only works in short bursts.
That's subjective, but a valid point. I don't have issue with long bursts of the 'wahoo' voice but I can see where you're coming from. I'd honestly love to have Brooklyn Mario back tbh. "Ey Luigi, we gotta finish up this penne ragu pronto and finish up that plumbin' job before the princess gets back!"

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Then that's my fault apologies. I didn't even see it and just feigned ignorance.

I do think it might be an issue of people THINK Martinet can actually keep that voice up constantly, but that almost assuredly isn't the case. He may voice Mario, but the longest sentence Mario has ever spoken in any game is "Thank you so much for-a playing my game!" from the end of 64. Heck most Mario games are just "Wahoo" and grunts.

Imagine for a moment him voicing Mario throughout an entire two hour movie doing that "That's-a lot-a Mario" voice. I honestly do think it would be grating, and that he won't be doing as heavy of an arguably racist Italian accent throughout the whole thing.

I'm almost positive they want a voice that is actually believable in scenes such as the inevitable heart-to-heart with Luigi.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
.....I IMAGINE IT BECAUSE IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT MARIO. THE CHARACTER HE'S VOICED SINCE 1995...A-AND HE'S RIGHT THERE!
Is a goofy Italian accent...not what makes Mario? What would be different? And this begs the question, how would Pratt portray Mario? This logic still just...confuses me.

Edit: I literally watched the whole thing, and I don't see the problem here...IT'S MARIO?

I see a problem. So 1-1, I guess?

Odd to complain about why there's an obsession with elite actors. It's because they're elite actors. Pratt is a better actor than Martinet. Pratt knows how to carry a feature film.

There's a huge difference between bona fide acting and providing canned VA soundbites, anime recitation, impersonation, battle cries. That's something the KH producers seems to have forgotten after KH2. There's a huge difference between acting and standing up on stage and doing a voice while reading from prompts. If there wasn't, half of YouTube would be actors.

No one is going to not see a Mario cartoon simply because Pratt isn't playing him. You'd think they'd want to save a crapton of money by just using the usual VA if he'd do a better job

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Another thing about Martinet is that if he wanted to act as Mario more than just the "Wahoo"s, we'd have had more voice acting from Mario himself in Sunshine and Odyssey. Plenty of opportunities in both those games to have dialogue due to the helper characters talking to him. And heck, they even tried making Bowser speak normally in Sunshine, so precedence already exists with Nintendo wanting to experiment there.

I think Martinet might just prefer being a sound bites actor when it comes to Mario characters, which wouldn't work in a movie adaptation since that would actually have dialogue. And the proof lies in the fact he's still staying as "cameo" appearances instead of pushing Nintendo to keep him. How much do you want to bet he'll be Wario and Waluigi doing a small recognizable "Wahh"?

I might get some hate for this, but just because an actor is a celebrity doesn't mean they aren't good. And casting a big actor makes sense. Not only is Illumination known for having big name actors in their films, but voice acting in animated movies has become more mainstream. And this is Mario, the Mickey Mouse of video games. Of course Nintendo would pay big bucks to go all in on it.

I kinda feel like, people going into a rage over Martinet not voicing Mario in a movie is silly, and the same as Nintendo not casting the Link voice actor to play him in a Zelda movie. Sonic turned out just fine with Jim Carrey as Robotnik and someone who wasn't the original voice of Sonic in that role. And Sonic speaks more than Mario does.

People get too hung up over "defending the actor" and "iconic voice" when the actor himself isn't even complaining about it. For all we know (almost nothing), Martinet got to help pick Pratt along with Myamoto. We haven't even heard Pratt as Mario yet.

disney233

Awards
I don't...get why it's hard for me to just...dismiss Martinet's role as Mario in the movie as everyone else is. Like....I don't understand, these arguments. Is he really that incapable of handling Mario's voice in a full-featured film? I guess it's easy for me to dismiss Sonic in this matter because there's just so many voices for him. But...idk. I still just don't get it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I don't...get why it's hard for me to just...dismiss Martinet's role as Mario in the movie as everyone else is. Like....I don't understand, these arguments. Is he really that incapable of handling Mario's voice in a full-featured film? I guess it's easy for me to dismiss Sonic in this matter because there's just so many voices for him. But...idk. I still just don't get it.
He's not a bad actor, as proven in Skyrim:
(show of hands, how many minds did I just blew with that revelation?)

But the Mario voice just isn't meant for film, it's meant for short lines. I guess he could change the voice up to something else but it may not have clicked with the film makers either. In any event, we don't know what role he does have. If he's gets like 5 minutes of screen time that's still more voice work than he's done for any one game.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I feel like Charles Martinet is gonna be the Mario movie's Stan Lee: he'll do an in person cameo, be it live action or drawn as the movie's art style.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So uh, this has been making the rounds on the inter-webs:
AARulOAACZH2.png

Date could be a lucky guess, there is rhythm & rhyme to when Nintendo picks dates for events.

I feel like Charles Martinet is gonna be the Mario movie's Stan Lee: he'll do an in person cameo, be it live action or drawn as the movie's art style.
Based on Cranky (IE the "original" donkey Kong) being in the film, I'm guessing he'll be Jumpman, who's retconned to being the Mario & Luigi's father.

D

Deleted member 246005

I thought it was a cool pitch for a Mario movie I saw years ago.

Back