• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nitpicks and the little things

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeHeatnix

Nitpick:
I don't like how when Riku gets Way to the Dawn, it comes completely out of nowhere. He's never wielded a Keyblade before in his life because he was denied it, now he finally has one and nobody says anything. It makes it feel like a last-minute addition. In fact, I believe it was, and that it was probably originally a weapon Sora obtained while Riku kept his normal Soul Eater.

Little thing:
Clearing the 100 Acre Wood in KH1. That little jingle when the book closes and the cover now looks like a classic Pooh book never ceases to make me go "Aww".

Last edited:

LedxirnSimon

Nitpick:
I don't like how when Riku gets Way to the Dawn, it comes completely out of nowhere. He's never wielded a Keyblade before in his life because he was denied it, now he finally has one and nobody says anything. It makes it feel like a last-minute addition. In fact, I believe it was, and that it was probably originally a weapon Sora obtained while Riku kept his normal Soul Eater.

Little thing:
Clearing the 100 Acre Wood in KH1. That little jingle when the book closes and the cover now looks like a classic Pooh book never ceases to make me go "Aww".

Is there anything stated about Riku's keyblade in the novels?

a little bit unrelated to this section if there is anything such as KH 3D HD exist, so here's my little thing:

In the gride, RIKU BLASTED THEN MADE A HEART-SHAPED HOLE ON THE WALL.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nitpick:
I don't like how when Riku gets Way to the Dawn, it comes completely out of nowhere. He's never wielded a Keyblade before in his life because he was denied it, now he finally has one and nobody says anything.

Actually he did wield it for a good 20-60 minutes before Sora earned it for good in KH1 or have you forgotten about that? Also even before then, the Keyblade was Riku's...Sora was literally just borrowing it. That was why Riku could hold it when Sora & Riku first meet up in Traverse Town but it was also Riku's clouded heart that made it impossible for him to keep it at that point in time.

In fact, it was Riku's abilities as a wielder that allowed the darkness into Destiny Islands in the first place. Anyways...

Much isn't said about how Riku got Way to the Dawn and Nomura pretty much intentionally left it vague because he likes leaving things open for fans to analyze.

VI. Could you please give an explanation for the new keyblade "Way to the Dawn" that Riku obtained and the keyblade Kairi has as well as what the conditions for using a keyblade are?

There isn't necessarily one keyblade for the dark side and one for the light side, just as many as there exist people with qualified hearts. Concerning the conditions to wield one, at this stage, "Those with strong hearts" is the only obvious one. However, less obvious conditions still exist and there are still plans for an opportunity to reveal those. Riku's "Way to the Dawn" and Kairi's keyblade are naturally the same type of keyblade as Sora's. However there is no particular explanation for the Soul Eater's transfer and occurrence, as well as Riku's handing it to Kairi. When there isn't a normal process of acquisition, I think its ok to think there is some deeper meaning there.

Secret Report Interview Part Two - Even More KH Series Answers! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

So it should just be assumed that Riku proved himself to Way to the Dawn at some point between his visit to Land of Dragons and the events of TWTNW.

(I like to believe that being around Sora and helping him in the latter half of his journey sparked something within Riku's heart...like a renewed hope after being lost in the darkness for so long; Sora became the light that is guiding him to the dawn.)

It makes it feel like a last-minute addition. In fact, I believe it was, and that it was probably originally a weapon Sora obtained while Riku kept his normal Soul Eater.

Lol no. It's always been Riku's.

---We found out that Riku's Keyblade's name is "Way to the Dawn" when examining his item slots after he joined your party. Is that Keyblade a transfigured version of Soul Eater?
Nomura: I designed it with that image. Since Riku has always been using Soul Eater, he still calls it that even after it changed form. Keyblades aren't something that you can obtain suddenly out of nowhere so in Riku's case, his Soul Eater was used as an intermediary for that Keyblade.

Kingdom Hearts II Scenario Mysteries - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Is there anything stated about Riku's keyblade in the novels?

Maybe. You'll have to ask Goldpanner that.

a little bit unrelated to this section if there is anything such as KH 3D HD exist, so here's my little thing:

In the gride, RIKU BLASTED THEN MADE A HEART-SHAPED HOLE ON THE WALL.

Love will open the pathway to freedom~

Well, that's one thing Ansem the wise knew Xehanort didn't ...

haha right

LedxirnSimon

Love will open the pathway to freedom~

heart_shape_by_jojo56830-d5l0aeu.jpg

BlazeHeatnix

Much isn't said about how Riku got Way to the Dawn and Nomura pretty much intentionally left it vague because he likes leaving things open for fans to analyze.

Or he's just saying that because he legitimately doesn't know. Which, if you think realistically, is not that far-fetched.

Lol no. It's always been Riku's.

I'm saying it may have been that way during development of the game originally, and changed later. Not story-wise. It's just odd how nobody questions that Riku has a keyblade now.

Here's a little thing about KH2 Final Mix, the new music in Christmas Town uses cues from "What's This?" for the field, and "Making Christmas" for the battle theme, if you listen closely.

Last edited:

Ven_Roxas

Awards
The lack of updated menus in BBS and Terra's voice. those are my biggest nitpicks.

I do like the graphics update on it thought :p

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
The lack of updated menus in BBS

This. It's kinda jarring going from Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix with it's awesome updated menu and then suddenly having the ones from Birth by Sleep look archaic in comparison. The game itself still looks nice for the most part, but that is one aspect that could have been improved upon.

At least the menu sounds were fixed...

WaveK89

-Sometimes the music feels forced. The music itself is absolutely fantastic, but there are times where the music cuts-in and cuts-out. Perhaps it would be better with smoother transitions. Related Little Thing: When Sora and Mickey lock the door the music transitions to Kairi's theme as she appears.

-By the way, how did Kairi get there anyway? By locking the door, Kairi is magically transported to where Destiny Islands returns which just happens to be near the door Sora locked?

-Agreed on pointing something about before it happens. When Captain Jack says, "Don't remember inviting you." Then we see Luxord popping in afterwards.

-That they fixed the EXP Walker cheat in 2.5 Remix for BBS. I'll admit to abusing that cheat on the PSP.

-Something that sort of creeps me out is when we can see the faces of black hooded people. How do they turn the black on and off? Some sort of magical black veil hidden in those robes?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
-How there was no mention of what Donald&Goofy did when they went with Riku. Nothing at all. I'm not expecting 15 minutes of cutscene or anything but the game showed nothing. They left Sora and after some time all they did was stand in that hallway waiting for Sora. And then when they returned to Sora, Sora never questions them about what they did or D&G didn't tell Sora about their time with Riku. Just got swept under the rug which wa a shame.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
-Sometimes the music feels forced. The music itself is absolutely fantastic, but there are times where the music cuts-in and cuts-out. Perhaps it would be better with smoother transitions. Related Little Thing: When Sora and Mickey lock the door the music transitions to Kairi's theme as she appears.

-By the way, how did Kairi get there anyway? By locking the door, Kairi is magically transported to where Destiny Islands returns which just happens to be near the door Sora locked?

I think I understand this but that doesn't make it any less absurd: the implication is that Kairi was returned to Destiny Islands, and because The End of the World happened to be made of pieces of destroyed worlds, she showed up there before the world moved back into place. And it just so happened that it reformed there. And she just happened to be transported to that chunk. And that chunk was made of sand instead of the rock you're standing on. And... arguably wasn't made of rock and was actually part of the ethereal void, because she seems to be standing past the end of the platform.

...Friendship did it.

-Something that sort of creeps me out is when we can see the faces of black hooded people. How do they turn the black on and off? Some sort of magical black veil hidden in those robes?

Something that freaked me out today is that in some shots of unhooded Mickey, you can see what should be his shirt, but is instead this black void that isn't properly connected to his head. He lacks a proper neck; his bobble-head is just sort of floating on top of this... gap.

One nitpick about cloaked Mickey: his duckface is stuck in a permanent glare (or at least a "battle face"), even if he should be happy. One of the weirdest examples is when he comes in to Ansem's study. They adjusted his mouth... but his eyes are still glaring at the floor.

-How there was no mention of what Donald&Goofy did when they went with Riku. Nothing at all. I'm not expecting 15 minutes of cutscene or anything but the game showed nothing. They left Sora and after some time all they did was stand in that hallway waiting for Sora. And then when they returned to Sora, Sora never questions them about what they did or D&G didn't tell Sora about their time with Riku. Just got swept under the rug which wa a shame.

I always laugh at this but never have a good enough joke.

"He just plopped down in the middle of the hall, saying nothing."

"Went to have a shower in the fountain, very awkward."

"Wandered off to his secret bedroom from CoM and spent 30 minutes bricking up the entrance so Sora could never find it."

Last edited:

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I liked how in KHII Xaldin says something to the extent of "Good, it's not in my nature to hold back". He says this in one of the cutscenes in which the Org. is talking Where Nothing Gathers. He then goes on to get his shit rocked by Belle in Beast's Castle lol. She jerks him with a quick elbow to that pumped up chest of his, and he's like whaaaa too much. I'll just chalk it up to Belle being a PoL.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Why does "A Blustery Rescue" have a timer? If anyone actually knows, please tell me because I'm baffled. The game auto-scrolls, so it doesn't seem possible to lose by time-out. There doesn't seem to be a way to "lose" time, so it seems you'll always have a 1:20 on the clock by the time Piglet appears. If they worried some young players would take a minute-twenty just to catch Piglet, why not given them infinite time instead?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
SDG saw Barbosa get murder at Isle de Muerta and they don't even bat an eye or comment on it. SDG probably haven't seen death very much yet they seemed unfazed by it for some reason.

Anagram

Banned
SDG saw Barbosa get murder at Isle de Muerta and they don't even bat an eye or comment on it. SDG probably haven't seen death very much yet they seemed unfazed by it for some reason.

They basically killed Shan Yu in Mulans world earlier. Didn't bat an eye then either.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
The first time Sora bats an eye at someone dying is Vexen, when he practically freaks out. I haven't been able to decide if he's negatively affected by seeing a begging man cut down, or if it's just the treachery that bothers him. From that point on, he only reacts once, to my knowledge: when he feels the need to dramatically seal Marluxia's room with the Keyblade in one last bit of spite. Even that's wobbly. I think CoM also presents his ruthless killing of Larxene as a sign he's falling under Namine's influence. But after that, he never cares again? (I've also long suspected that we were supposed to think Axel was dead when you beat him in CoM, and were supposed to be surprised he was still alive. Sora doesn't react to his "death," either).

Still, even CoM may have been milking it a little. Sora had seen Clayton die prior to that, and while they may have been partially monstrous in appearance instead of human at the time, Ursula, Maleficent and Ansem as well. (Oogie Boogie doesn't count.) And since Ursula is no more monstrous than Ariel, she should be right up there with Clayton in my mind - the only thing weird about her at the time was the fact that she was a giantess. So KH2 is just revealing what was already a problem in KH1 by having more humanoid bosses, including the realistically rendered Barbossa.

The best way I can explain it is that Sora gets all righteous when someone's trying to take over the world or hurt people, but Vexen was just begging, and that set off a chain reaction that had him react differently to the remaining Organization members. It's possible that if he hadn't lost his memory, his relationship with death might have continued to change, but that's impossible to say.

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
The first time Sora bats an eye at someone dying is Vexen, when he practically freaks out. I haven't been able to decide if he's negatively affected by seeing a begging man cut down, or if it's just the treachery that cut him. From that point he only reacts once, to my knowledge: when he feels the need to dramatically seal Marluxia's room with the Keyblade. Even that's wobbly. I think CoM also presents his ruthless killing of Larxene as a sign he's falling under Namine's influence. But after that, he never cares again? (I've also long suspected that we were supposed to think Axel was dead when you beat him in CoM, and were supposed to be surprised he was still alive. Sora doesn't react to his "death," either).

Still, even CoM may have been milking it a little. Sora had seen Clayton die prior to that, and while they may have been partially monstrous in appearance instead of human at the time, Ursula, Maleficent and Ansem as well. (Oogie Boogie doesn't count.) And since Ursula is no more monstrous than Ariel, she should be right up there with Clayton in my mind - the only thing weird about her at the time was the fact that she was a giantess.

The best way I can explain it is that Sora gets all righteous when someone's trying to take over the world or hurt people, but Vexen was just begging, and that set off a chain reaction that had him react differently to the remaining Organization members.

I think with the case of Clayton, you can make the argument it was the darkness that took him so he didn't really "die" rather he got lost to the darkness/sent to the realm of darkness or at least it's a bit ambiguous. Unlike Jack Sparrow who straight up murder Barbosa with a gun shot in front of SDG and they didn't even sugarcoat it. At least with some other deaths there was this cloud that maybe they just got sent to the dark realm and didn't officially die, but it seems Sora just doesn't give a sh** about death.

I'm not sure if the writers intentionally wrote Sora this way or if it was just an accident, but Sora doesn't seem to have much compassion for the lives of people he considers "evil".

Anagram

Banned
I'm not sure if the writers intentionally wrote Sora this way or if it was just an accident, but Sora doesn't seem to have much compassion for the lives of people he considers "evil".

Well to be fair. Such people are usually trying to kill him first soooo.....

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

And this is exactly what makes me wonder why some fans point out that Sora wouldn't be "able" to finish off Master Xehanort or be "too forgiving" to deliver the final strike against the old coot.
Considering the scope of what Xehanort has done compared to all the other villains so far, I highly doubt that Sora would have any problem to plant his Keyblade right through Xehanort's chest to finally end his crusade of madness.

Sora is not all forgiving and those who hurt his friends or try to prevent him from helping those friends can expect to be put down without much batting an eye on his part.

The best examples for that are in KH 1 when he strikes down Maleficent without any hesitation, in CoM when Vexen, Larxene and Marluxia deliberately anger him (Vexen by how he treats the Riku Replica, Marluxia for what he does with Naminé and Larxene for being just an overall sadistic bitch).
That's also why he wasn't really shocked at Vexen dying itself but because a) it was a comrade of Vexen offing him (Sora expects of allies to be loyal to each other, even if they're his enemies) and b) how gruesome it happend.
Sora would probably have finished off Vexen himself in a more swift and "clean" manner like he offed Luxord in KH 2, although he didn't do it because he had still some demand for a living Vexen:

Re: CoM said:
Sora: None of that matters! Just put Riku back!
Sora was still on the impression that Riku was controlled by Vexen and gave him a chance to survive if he released Riku from his control.
It was only later that he learned that the Riku in question was a Replica.

Larxene doesn't require an explanation I think since even the most peaceful person will eventually crack and punch your face in if you do nothing but pester him/her, which Larxene is undeniably a master in doing.
Marluxia, well, he was the one responsible for all the crap Sora went through in CoM and on top also acted like a condescending, upper class snob all the time using everyone around him as his pawns. If there's anything that has been shown repeatedly over the course of the series which is sure to piss Sora off it is when people just use other people as pawns to further some selfish agenda and then on top also mistreat them.

It just goes further with the same mindset in KH 2, as Sora doesn't give a damn about any of the true Disney villains, neither Shan-Yu, Hades, Barbossa, Jafar, Oogie, Scar, Ursula or Maleficent get any sympathy from him and if he has to he has no qualms to off them.
Heck, he even jokes about how Donald, Goofy and him vanquished Maleficent a year ago in front of Pete.
The Organisation members in KH 2 are no different as they all not only threaten the worlds but also get to piss off Sora personally somehow.
During the battle of Hollow Bastion, Sora, Donald and Goofy were on their way to help Leon and the others in their time of need and Demyx pops in to not only hold them off but also to annoy them. Donald explicitly orders Demyx to move out of the way and he doesn't get the message, pissing Sora off because he wants to help Leon and the others, but can't because this idiot is standing in his way. That combined with the fact that Sora just learned the Organisation has also kidnapped Kairi just made him angry enough to forego any possible "compassion".
Later on Saix almost pulls a Larxene on him with his teasing about Kairi and Sora getting angry the same way just shows that off even more.
Xaldin was messing up the world Beast's Castle and targeted both Belle and the Beast personally, more friends of Sora and as explained above, he hates such behaviour.
Xigbar was trolling the whole time and also attacking first, so no wonder Sora didn't have any pity.
Luxord not only proved how dangerous he was when messing up Port Royal, he also captures Kairi, Riku, Donald and Goofy with his cards, incurring Sora's wrath as well and thus is unceremoniously cut down as well.
After the Saix-battle Sora does seem to be moved shortly, but it is mostly because of how pitiful Saix final words are as he quickly moves on to the next subject, asking Riku why everyone is calling him Roxas.

However, as seen with Maleficent when she (inadvertently) helps him during the course of KH 2 when he does show some care towards her, it also depends greatly on the circumstances how Sora acts with finalty.
His heart is, as Ansem the Wise puts it in DDD, able to see the good before the bad, but that doesn't mean that Sora is unable/has too many scruples to put down someone if he feels that it is necessary to help/save someone more close to him or where he sees more good than bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back