• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura lied hard about Roxas being the biggest secret of KH3.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hirokey123

Awards
Like it's just a flat out lie, Roxas was talked about constantly and in practically every in between cutscenes.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah there wasnt any big reveal or otherwise secret regarding Roxas.

That said you laying out the build up towards Xion like that did increase my appreciation for her role in the story

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I noticed this a few days ago yeah. There was nothing spectacular about Roxas compared to the other characters. I was certainly expecting a whole lot more of him. :/

Obiewantsanipod

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Umm, so why can he dual wield? I've been wondering for quite some time now.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I dunno if it can really be just dismissed as "lying" or if it is truly a case about how much content was actually cut.

I remember many things Nomura stated in interviews before KH III released which are not actually really addressed in the game itself as in-depth as one could assume from the wording of said statements like i.e. that every major original character has their own problems and challenges to face and resolve.

We don't really see much of these at all since almost everything is tackled and resolved by Sora and after being involved for two or three scenes at best, the other characters are reduced to bystanders not allowed to do or accomplish anything on their own.

In contrast to the hype made about it that ominous box from Ux also doesn't play much of a role at all except being an excuse to have Pete and Maleficent show up a few times.

If I would go through all the Nomura interviews before KH III I bet I would find even more examples.

I'm inclined to wait until we get the Ultimania interviews before I make an actual judgement about these cases.

kaseykockroach

Awards
The big reveal was that we didn’t have to play 3 hour prologue with Roxas this time. :)

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Like it's just a flat out lie, Roxas was talked about constantly and in practically every in between cutscenes.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Roxas is only a big deal due to popularity, now that he has a body his story is done, he will retain his op ability to dual weild despite it making no sense with xion alive now.

its for the best i just wish they did not introduce a new line for axel who was suppose to be dead back in 2

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Roxas is only a big deal due to popularity, now that he has a body his story is done, he will retain his op ability to dual weild despite it making no sense with xion alive now.

Except that Roxas' dual wielding never had anything directly to do with Xion in the first place?

Roxas could wield one Keyblade due to his direct heart connection with Sora and the second one came from Ventus' heart being inside him.
The second Keyblade (and thus dual-wielding) was activated when Roxas had an emotional breakdown after Xion's "death" and accidentally unsealed Ven's Keyblade.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I don't think it's lying, I just think people misinterpreted what he meant or why. I think what he meant was just that whether or not Roxas can be saved, how he can be saved, in what manner he'll be saved, etc, is basically Sora's main dramatic question throughout the entire game, his driving force and what his narrative centers around, and so talking about it in interviews would have spoiled it and that's why he couldn't.

Of course he later spoiled it himself by having Roxas show up in a trailer, though. Gurl can't help herself.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Hopefully, we get a playable Roxas section for the hypothetical Final Mix. Hayner, Pence and Olette wanted to know about Roxas from Ansem the Wise, and Demyx gave Ienzo a Replica to reform Roxas. Make something out of that...

I'm in agreement that his return was not as emotional as I anticipated, but then again, I think it highlights a larger issue of Nomura being unable to balance out screentime between a large cast of characters at the same time.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm in agreement that his return was not as emotional as I anticipated, but then again, I think it highlights a larger issue of Nomura being unable to balance out screentime between a large cast of characters at the same time.

Balance and overall pacing are certainly key problems KH III suffers from like many of the older KH titles too, but on top of it comes also the constant waste of screentime for Union X-related teasers which go nowhere in KH III itself and do not help the conclusion of the current saga an inch.

They're only there as sequel bait and there is too much of it.
It has been said before but playing the game further I am by now nearly fully convinced that with his thoughts Nomura is already completely in the new saga and wanted to wrap up the Xehanort saga as quick as possible and it shows.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Balance and overall pacing are certainly key problems KH III suffers from like many of the older KH titles too, but on top of it comes also the constant waste of screentime for Union X-related teasers which go nowhere in KH III itself and do not help the conclusion of the current saga an inch.

They're only there as sequel bait and there is too much of it.
It has been said before but playing the game further I am by now nearly fully convinced that with his thoughts Nomura is already completely in the new saga and wanted to wrap up the Xehanort saga as quick as possible and it shows.

Yeah, Nomura struggled with the pacing and screen time when the cast was still small, now that the cast is so large it'll probably be even harder for him to manage. Other than splitting the group up a bit and having different characters feature in different games I can't really imagine how he'd want to handle this number of characters.

Honestly I think I'm fine with most of the sequel baiting, just not with how front and center it was presented. If we just had Mysterious Star, a few scenes of Maleficient looking for the box and the Mysterious girl only mentioned between Axel and Isa, I think that'd be fine.

It kind of feels like KH3 was initially something Nomura was excited for and working towards with all the non-numbered games wanting to do something big and exciting, but then he got the new idea and started working towards that in Union X. After that point KH3 became a chore he had to complete to get to what he really wanted to do.
I get, growing tired of an idea and wanting to move on to the next, but it leave the consumer feeling a bit unsatisfied.

SerDuncan

Yeah, Nomura struggled with the pacing and screen time when the cast was still small, now that the cast is so large it'll probably be even harder for him to manage. Other than splitting the group up a bit and having different characters feature in different games I can't really imagine how he'd want to handle this number of characters.

Honestly I think I'm fine with most of the sequel baiting, just not with how front and center it was presented. If we just had Mysterious Star, a few scenes of Maleficient looking for the box and the Mysterious girl only mentioned between Axel and Isa, I think that'd be fine.

It kind of feels like KH3 was initially something Nomura was excited for and working towards with all the non-numbered games wanting to do something big and exciting, but then he got the new idea and started working towards that in Union X. After that point KH3 became a chore he had to complete to get to what he really wanted to do.
I get, growing tired of an idea and wanting to move on to the next, but it leave the consumer feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Yeah, you kinda summed it up. In BBS, or KH1, or KH2, or Days, the sequel baiting that happened in those games was minor... it was behind the scenes, or if it was in your face it showed up rarely and was interesting. Think Roxas turning into Ventus briefly in Days, or the secret Reports in KH2 hinting at more devious plans by Xehanort. In this game, it felt like the sequel was at the forefront. There are many, many cutscenes that don't end up being relevant to the main plot of KH3, including half of all of Luxord and Demyx's lines, a good third of Marluxia and Larxene's screentime, all of Maleficent and Pete's screentime, and more. It's frustrating, it really is.

Back