• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura's art style.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoShock

Hmmm, really detailed and realistic characters plus cartoons.

It just would not match, it felt weird when I played the Port Royal world on KH2.

Think people, Nomura did a wonderful job with the character design. You don't want everything to look like "Bed Knobs And Broomsticks" or "Marry Poppins" do you? That would look scary.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
It's called a style for a reason. All styles are supposed to be unique and have something that makes you recognize their work. I guess you could say in Nomuras case it is belts and zippers.
No, artistic style is line work and shape. It's how you render your subject. Belts and zippers are design elements.

You don't tell the difference between Jim Lee and Alex Maleev on the basis of who uses belts and zippers more.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I like his characters though I do understand the thing with the belts and zippers
KH2 Sora was laughable

Muse

you look atrocious
No, I would think its a style. Since it is constantly appearing in his artwork. But what would you call it then?

Recurring elements? Design preferences? Fetishes?

It's not a style though. A style would be HOW he draws it, not what clothing he dresses his characters in. Like- my art style is very round and cartoony. That's just how I draw. Most of the characters I draw have very plain clothing. That's a design preference.

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
The clothes for YRP were okay, I don't really care. But for a fifteen/sixteen year old Rikku wearing a really revealing oufit? She's not even over 18 yet! Some guys may only play to stare at Rikku or whoever on FFx/FFx-2. It feaks me out. Yuna and Paine's clothes are okay. The other girls in the FF series are okay to me..

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine

It's not a style though. A style would be HOW he draws it, not what clothing he dresses his characters in. Like- my art style is very round and cartoony. That's just how I draw. Most of the characters I draw have very plain clothing. That's a design preference.

This. She describes it perfectly.

I personally have a style of drawing very thing figures with few details, like so:

images

In fact, if I HAD designed KH, the box art would have looked a bit different. =(

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
I think his best work was done in Final Fantasy X (and maybe VIII), it was very creative and unique. Well, at least for me it was anyways XD

I'm probably going to get destroyed for saying this but, I don't really like the KH art style. Even though it is even more abstract than X's, I just really can't stand the body proportions of the characters. Especially the shoes...

AXEL'S HIPS DUN LIE~

I used to like Nomura's art style, but now I'm starting to get really tired of his belts/zippers/buckles/spiky hair fetish. I used to incorporate those in my art, too, because I was so inspired by him. But now it's like...eh. boring and overdone.

I do agree that Final Fantasy X was the best.

And I'm liking Nomura's FF13 designs so far, for all of the FF13 games. They seem fresh and new after that whole horde of belts/zippers/buckles he gave us in the KH games.

As for The World Ends With You though, I don't mind. It fits the world, and he didn't go overboard on his fetish. I also really like how sharp he makes his lines and angles look for TWEWY; highly stylized indeed. He definitely captured the street art feel in this game.

So true! It must be hell for KH Squall, everytime he goes to the bathroom he has to unbuckle 30 belts.

Squall!? HA. Say that for Lulu. She has about a hundred stuck on that leather dress of hers.

αsiя;5240079 said:
Yea I think Sora and Noctis agree.
1quU7.jpg

yeaaaaah.
tumblr_l4zuudnSaA1qb4embo1_400.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Alright. My mistake, then.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I think his designs are ok. The asymmetrical clothing doesn't bother me, but there are a few designs that are just terrible and should be forgotten. (Kingdom Hearts Cloud and Setzer, ugh.) However I feel he did a great job combining Yoshitaka Amano's designs with his own for Dissidia, giving the characters a clean look while keeping the characters EXTREMELY faithful to Amano's whimsical watercolor feel. I was especially happy with him for incorporating Amano's designs for characters Nomura drew. (This is why Squall has that rag thing on his side and why Sephiroth has the angel wing in his coat, etc. They're from rare production and promotional artworks.) Every costume and alternate costume is from a piece of artwork for the game, which is great for uber-fans like me. :3
I tottally agree on that... Dissidia's style really came out from what I expected from SE, My personal favorite was Terra's alternate costume, I was always a fan of her green hair, but she looked too pale in FF6 in her little thumbnail, but when that came together in dissidia, I just fainted inside... XD

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Nomura's artwork. Parasite Eve
(what i believe to be his prime works)

art-aya.jpg

pe-eve2.jpg

Mugetsu, from the Bouncer

bnc-mugetsu1.jpg

if all you see is belts and zippers as his style, you haven't really payed attention to his artwork.
I wasn't referring anything towards revealing women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back