• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHUX ► Now that UX has officially ended, how would you like to see the story preserved after the app shutsdown?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Noivern

Awards
Now that the gacha game has officially ended and will eventually be removed from the stores, people are starting to think of how the UX story will be told going further. Some people expect another 3D movie like Back Cover, some want to see the entire foreteller saga remade into a proper game.

Personally I'm hoping they compress Chi into an offline interactive visual novel format of sorts; you create your character using the ingame assets and then just read through all updates without having to bother with the battles.

I think part of the reason there's so much confusion in regards to earlier plot threads like Master Ava, the traitor, Dark Chirithy and so on is because there has never been an actual, proper adaptation of Chi. Of course, this being a Kingdom Hearts entry and Nomura's personal litter box of cluttered ideas helps, but I stil lbelieve Back Cover is NOT a proper adaptation of X/Chi.

It was a movie that takes part of the original Chi storyline while also revealing new info, but it never shows Skuld or the playable character; it merely serves as an introduction and companion piece to the Foretellers saga, but a lot of people (me included) went straight from that to following UX from whatever update was going on at the time through whetever medium they had access to (khinsider forums or youtube).

I believe that if they simply took the existing assets and engine of the game and made it work similar to how the 358/2 Days movie works in the HD compillations would work really well, a simple app that works offline, features a music selection and gallery menu with artwork and concept art, as well as a new opening movie too!

That way it could also be ported to the Switch, Steam and maybe even consoles.

Edit: I forgot to add that I know they already confirmed the offline app with some of the things I mentioned here, but I thought with the recent story bits it might be interesting to talk about this again now that the topic is fresh and we got quite a few new developments. lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Now that the gacha game has officially ended and will eventually be removed from the stores, people are starting to think of how the UX story will be told going further. Some people expect another 3D movie like Back Cover, some want to see the entire foreteller saga remade into a proper game.

Personally I'm hoping they compress Chi into an offline interactive visual novel format of sorts; you create your character using the ingame assets and then just read through all updates without having to bother with the battles.
Pretty certain it is exactly as you have described. It's just a cutscene theater of sorts with a customizable avatar.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They're not removing the app from the store. It'll remain available as an offline version, with the UX side being stripped of all playable elements but retaining player customization (not every avatar part will be available), keyblades, theater mode, Classic Kingdom minigames and records (if you managed to save them).

DR will be moved offline but remain fully playable, not that anyone actually plays this game.

Noivern

Awards
Pretty certain it is exactly as you have described. It's just a cutscene theater of sorts with a customizable avatar.

They're not removing the app from the store. It'll remain available as an offline version, with the UX side being stripped of all playable elements but retaining player customization (not every avatar part will be available), keyblades, theater mode, Classic Kingdom minigames and records (if you managed to save them).

DR will be moved offline but remain fully playable, not that anyone actually plays this game.
Yeah, my bad. I actually forgot most of what I talked about was actually addressed by Square in the official announcement and not just brushed over, so feel free to lock the thread if no one has anything else to add to this. :{

the red monster

Awards
It was fun at the start. but became too grindy. : /
unless you mean auto mode which is also true lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It was fun at the start. but became too grindy. : /
unless you mean auto mode which is also true lol
I'm not even bothered by grinds in games, but I am bothered by the fact that it literally requires you to kill your device's battery to do the grind. Like cool. Let me just nuke my highly expensive smart device for you DR. No biggie.

Chie

Awards
I personally don't see the offline version as preservation because it's still on a telephone, and will inevitably be deprecated just like every single other telephone game.

There should be a Re: game, not a big fancy one, just one that's there for people to play so that UX can actually have a place within the linearly released series of games (which is what happened to coded), as well as make some cool cutscenes, streamline Disney filler stuff out, etc. But will there be at this point? There are no handheld systems to develop a smaller-budget title on in the first place, and big companies like Square Enix are increasingly only interested in approving games with huge budgets and marketing to be made at all. Nomura, as well as basically all other industry game devs, are in an unfortunate position.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I know they want to preserve the game but I don’t really see a point in keeping the app around. Since the player base is getting less and less and soon you won’t be able to play it so what’s the point in customising characters if you can’t play as them I mean I guess you could still do it for cutscenes but personally I don’t see the point in that. Also the mini games still exist in KH3 and there more of them in that game than Union X and there other places to watch the cutscenes besides the game. So why not make a console game and preserve it that way plus there still some people who don’t follow the mobile game because it a mobile game so making it a console game might actually get the people who avoid the mobile game to actually want to watch the plot of the game.

Cumguardian69

Awards
UE4 playable remake that explores Ephemer, Skuld, and Brain. I'm not interested in Player at all, the laurium stuff is needless fluff and the foretellers will be explored in another game.

OR a Re:XBC episodic movie released on YouTube like Brotherhood FFXV

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Damo279 on youtube made an over 7-hour video compiling almost every cutscene from Union X, and even reordered some of the scenes to improve on the pacing. It's easily the #1 best way to experience the story, especially once the game goes offline.
He is missing cutscenes so I wouldn't recommend his version. Someone is probably making a more complete version though.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I 100% believe they need to do a Re:UXDR. By trimming all of the filler & fat and expanding on scenes from UXDR, they could have a really good game. It doesn't even need to be done in KH3's style. Make it a super high quality pre-KH3 art style with the sort of polish present in WoFF. Most of the assets are already there.

I don't expect anything to happen in time for the 20th anniversary unless they planned it well in advance, but I would hope something would come out by the 25th anniversary.

There is just no reason not to do it. Like Chie said, this game will become obsolete at some point either by new phone models or new OS updates. This game will not function on newer phones unless they decide to continue to support it which would be a waste of money for SE.

Re: the game up, start bundling it with the rest of the series, profit.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The only cutscenes he removed are the filler ones that aren't needed.
He's still misrepresenting the game by claiming he's got all of the original X cutscenes when he doesn't. It's something he was criticized for when the video was first uploaded so hopefully he will correct it for the final release. If they don't add those scenes to the offline theater, then he won't have the full story of X, only UX.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I also think some of the filler he cut was still relevant to the development of Player. Also I just think the filler of Agrabah is an important piece of KH history. It's like the Endless Eight from Haruhi Suzumiya. It's awful and trash but it's an important anthropological slice of the franchise that helps us all understand just how much we all truly hate Agrabah.

Awards
I also think some of the filler he cut was still relevant to the development of Player. Also I just think the filler of Agrabah is an important piece of KH history. It's like the Endless Eight from Haruhi Suzumiya. It's awful and trash but it's an important anthropological slice of the franchise that helps us all understand just how much we all truly hate Agrabah.
How long was the Agrabah filler anyway

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’d take a single player turn based RPG with the HD-2D art style of Octopath Traveler. I’d love to see any KH content in that style tbh and I think UX would work well for it. It might be something they could get out quicker than something with KH3’s graphics too.

Back