• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Open vs. Closed Source Software

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

wii.red24

Hey guys it me Wii.red24 i was wanting to know your what you guys think on the whole debate on free software vs proprietary software thats been going on for quite sometime now. I now some of u may be Windows users and some of u guys may be Linux users, I'll just exlpain this real shortly in case you dont already know free software allows a person to copy or edit the source code as the person sees fit as long as the dont try to change it to closed source and closed source basically says that nobody can see the source code except for developers who then have to sign an NDA agreement. My question is how do you feel about Free software and or closed software and do u view free software as a good thing yes or no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Re: Open vs. Closed Software

Renamed the thread to what the varieties of software are properly called.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. With the sheer variety of open source programs and operating systems (such as the Linux distributions) available, it means there's a distribution out there that can suit anyone and - if they have the experience or advice - can be further tailored to their needs. If such software is free, an obvious drawback is that it would need to be funded by donations or ads on their site, and there's not necessarily a guarantee of professional software support.
Additionally, exactly because of that very variability, big compatibility and integration issues can occur. My dad's got an Android-based smartphone, which is open source. Because there's no one type of Android mobile OS, its virtually impossible for him to use it for an hour without experience occasional crashes, random slow-downs, etc. This is because the various programs used on the device aren't all designed so that they can all work perfectly in sync.

Closed-source software pretty much has advantages where there are uncertainties or disadvantages for open-source. Professional software support is nearly always guaranteed, and with - say - operating systems being fairly uniform, it's easier to make sure that programs will work across the board, and that integration issues won't come up.
That's where iDevices can trump Androids or other open-source mobile OS's - because the operating system is uniform for everyone and across all devices, you can be certain every app will pretty much work aside from one-off glitches or whatever.
Similarly, because of the smaller number of operating system variants, the general development of such software has more resources to put towards making sure it comes out the gate with minimal issues. A smaller number of OS's across the board, however, of course means that there's less of a chance of an operating system variant being exceedingly close to what you need.

Both are good depending on your needs and what you can afford or deal with. Most open-source software does a sufficient job of what it's supposed to do, plus many open-source packages tend to be free. More and more these days even close-sourced software is being given more and more options and customisability.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards

In my experience I've always prefered the open software to the closed software.
I don't mind a few crashes as long as I can do stuff like play Pokemon on my Android

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

I'm split down the middle...
I love Open Source (especially android) because it gives you a personalized / custom experience compared to OS's like IOS.
On the application side the sky's the limit when you have apps like Firefox, Gimp, Handbrake, Open Office, Paint.net, Emulators, etc.

But i like the stability of the closed source OS's Like OSX and Windows7 (lol did i just say windows is a stable OS?)
and Application like Photoshop, final Cut Pro, sony Vegas, Microsoft Office, Finale, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back