• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Passion Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTopJob6

Essay time

Ex luge ad passio

Utada Hikaru's new song, Passion, is without a doubt one of the best examples of musical perfection, both in the abstract and in the mundane.

Now, I have little doubt that the song is powerful on a mundane level. All these positive responses are surely a testament to that power. Utada's emotive vocal style and choice of instrumental textures all combine for an eerily haunting sound that hits right at the soul.

But the fact of the matter is, that's only half the story. As a musically-trained individual, I have learned to find good music through harmony, rhythmic placement, and other abstract aspects of music. And listening to Passion, I found nothing short of musical beauty. The chordal and melodic progressions went so nicely together (with liberal use of chord extensions and wide leaps) that I found myself not only harmonizing (tenor) with Hikki, but also playing instrumental solos with/over her (which may be a tad insulting). It's just THAT good. And the backmasking was put at a rather sweet spot that was the icing on the cake. "... uoy naht noitceffa erom deen I"

Now, many of you guys loved Hikari/Simple And Clean, a song that stands great on its mundane aspects, but I didn't like it as much due to the comparatively uninteresting abstract content. Won't have to worry about that with Passion. It just goes to show that Kingdom Hearts - and its target audience - has grown up.

My foray into the abstract aspects of music has, in a way, displaced some of my more mundane performance aspects, as I too often I have concentrated on "what to play/compose" over "how to play it." It's been a constant struggle for me to reconcile the two ends. But Utada Hikaru is able blend the two aspects nigh-seamlessly. And that is what made me develop a fan-crush on Hikki-chan. In fact, I've been inspired to write a tune because of her, to see how I can measure up.

The all-around musical superiority of BOTH versions of Passion gives me much confidence that Shimomura-sama, a master of arrangement herself, will be able to arrange a spectacular orchestration. In fact, I may have a shot at orchestrating it myself...

Postscript - I recognized the Chinese ribbon-dancing the instant I saw the dancers in the vid. Also, I fail to see the point for having that many drummers in every live performance - what we need is a guitarist and keyboardist! Also, if anyone is able to transcribe the chords of the song, I will be eternally grateful.
Google Videos has a mirror.
And Hikaru DOES have an accent - with Japanese, that is. If you ever heard her speak, she does so with a borderline drawl. And I suppose she may be trying to hide a Queens accent in some of her music, most noticeable on "In My Room". But I really don't know what accent she has for English, anyway.

Last edited:

XxWhiteLightxX

First off, thanks for the download, I already saw it on google.com, but wasn't able to download it from there. But anyways, so far, I know there are 3 versions of the song, but only 2 available. The "After the Battle" and the "Single" version (which is the one with the piano backing right?), and the Planit T remix. I can't find that one anywhere, but on one of Hikki's many sites, it says it exists. But what I really want is the English version. The one they played a little cliop of in the KH2PV2 video. With the one line "...my heart's a battleground.." I don't know if anyone else asked for it, in the previous replies because there is 27 pages and I'm not reading them all (do ya blame me?) but I got through like 10 pages and didn't see anything about it. So if someone else mentioned it, sorry.

soraandkairi4eva

sora luver
i agree. koda kumi is such a big slut and her music sucks. when utada sings in enlish, i agree, she does have a better voice. real emotion and 1000 words were the only music that was the best for koda kumi cuz thankx to the help of square-enix. no in the site u had NARUTOEXE, how do u vote? cuz it's in jap. *PASSION IS THE BOMB*

NarutoEXE

Website
www.hikaru-online.net
soraandkairi4eva said:
no in the site u had NARUTOEXE, how do u vote? cuz it's in jap. *PASSION IS THE BOMB*
The site isn't a voting site. Sorry for confusing you. It's just a site that shows which single/album ranked in the charts.

NarutoEXE

Website
www.hikaru-online.net
XxWhiteLightxX said:
the "Single" version (which is the one with the piano backing right?),
Passion ~after the battle~ is the one with the piano backing.

XxWhiteLightxX said:
I can't find that one anywhere, but on one of Hikki's many sites, it says it exists.
The Planit T remix was a fanmade remix by Mikie from U-O.net, just click the link and scroll down to Utada Remix and you'll find it. Remember to credit Mikie if you spread it.

XxWhiteLightxX said:
But what I really want is the English version. The one they played a little cliop of in the KH2PV2 video. With the one line "...my heart's a battleground.."
So far, there is an English version of Passion, just that it hasn't been released yet. When it says, "My heart's a battleground," I think that is for the Passion ~opening version~ and not the Passion English version.

soraandkairi4eva said:
well, then how can it be higher? you're the BOMB for utada hikaru infos and stuff.
By buying the Passion single.

Palomino

I would love to buy the CD, but I live in Serbia... This will sound cruel, but a lot of people haven't even heard of Utada (LET ALONE KH!!!!!). Who knows if we will EVER get her CD's here.

soraandkairi4eva

sora luver
thankx too bad i can't find any store or i can't buy it online. *sigh* so make things are right. so there's *passion* the fist and orginal single, *passion after battle* with the piano, and finally *passion remix* so that's it for now, right?

Whispered.Hope

I went to Kikiwai today but couldn't find her CD v__v; I found BoA's 2005 Concert DVD, though! xD Bought Naruto instead, though XDD

-coughs- Anywhoo, I never really noticed Hikki trying to hide her English accent. Never realized she had one xD You can't really tell when she was singing Passion in all those concerts, when the English line came in. Seemed Japanese-ish enough ^^;

NarutoEXE

Website
www.hikaru-online.net
Her American CD was under Island Def Jam, who was also a loser at promoting; but weren't a loser at promoting Mariah Carey. <.< Those damn bastards.

Last edited:

OneTopJob6

Def Jam's primary target is not the kind of people who would listen to Hikaru. She'd have better luck with Sony or BMG, or some kind of umbrella record company.

Rikkuk

soraandkairi4eva said:
i agree. koda kumi is such a big slut and her music sucks. when utada sings in enlish, i agree, she does have a better voice. real emotion and 1000 words were the only music that was the best for koda kumi cuz thankx to the help of square-enix. no in the site u had NARUTOEXE, how do u vote? cuz it's in jap. *PASSION IS THE BOMB*

They weren't even that good of songs....They should of gotten Hikki to sing them!!!
But i dont agree with Utada Having a better voice in English, she sings way better in her native tongue. But she has no accent at all. Its amazing- i love her singing simple and clean live-shes says Simpule an Cleanu in japanese with a horrid accent and then she starts singing and its amazing :D
haha

Last edited:

NarutoEXE

Website
www.hikaru-online.net
True, she does sing well in Japanese. It's like it just rolls off her tongue. With English, when you talks not sing, she stutters a bit. My reason for why she stutters: She thinks of big words to use on us so we have to pull out a dictionary just to understand what she says. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back