• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Pinocchio live action remake: "And the Cricket will be CGI"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
So.... this is a thing

Well, it's only a matter of time until all of them are covered. Honestly since we were already given the majesty of the Dumbo remake (which COULD be a world in KH and I would wholeheartedly support, it lacks the controversial roustabouts and crows after all) I'm not exactly enthused about this. But for what it's worth it looks.... competent enough. The blue fairy is now played by an African American woman, which is good, and Stromboli looks absolutely filthy, which is certainly not helping move away from his controversial background. It's also pretty telling that we don't actually SEE a living Pinocchio in the entire trailer, which is worrisome. What do you guys think?
(Also, if you get the reference in the title, I'll like your comment).

Sonofjafar

Awards
I’m gonna be real: the blue fairy being black was a really dumb change. In fact, most of these race recasts are. Just give them original roles that don’ feel like you’re apologizing for the bullshit of the past

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I’m gonna be real: the blue fairy being black was a really dumb change. In fact, most of these race recasts are. Just give them original roles that don’ feel like you’re apologizing for the bullshit of the past
She's the "blue fairy", I don't think her race in this situation really matters? Also, Cynthia Erivo can sing phenomenally well, so if they give her more songs then it makes sense to cast her.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

On one hand, I definitely agree that people of color should be given the room to shine and that means not continually doing white-centric stories by white people, however, a fairy tale is a fairy tale and Cynthia has the most beautiful ethereal voice, she's perfect for what they're looking for and to pretend that she was cast just because she's black is discrediting her abilities and that's a level of bullshit I'll start shutting down.

Sonofjafar

Awards
On one hand, I definitely agree that people of color should be given the room to shine and that means not continually doing white-centric stories by white people, however, a fairy tale is a fairy tale and Cynthia has the most beautiful ethereal voice, she's perfect for what they're looking for and to pretend that she was cast just because she's black is discrediting her abilities and that's a level of bullshit I'll start shutting down.
I never even said anything about her level of talent. you just went straight ot that conclusion to make me look bad. i simply want people to realize that this whole movie was based on cynicism and greed. every decision not made to do good but to get more people to be ok with it.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I never even said anything about her level of talent. you just went straight ot that conclusion to make me look bad. i simply want people to realize that this whole movie was based on cynicism and greed. every decision not made to do good but to get more people to be ok with it.

It was a warning to everyone. We had this stupid argument before, check the Little Mermaid Live Action thread. I'm putting my foot down. "the blue fairy being black was a really dumb change. In fact, most of these race recasts are." is a dumb thing to say, and you can't blame me for it making you look bad, you said it.

Sonofjafar

Awards
It was a warning to everyone. We had this stupid argument before, check the Little Mermaid Live Action thread. I'm putting my foot down. "the blue fairy being black was a really dumb change. In fact, most of these race recasts are." is a dumb thing to say, and you can't blame me for it making you look bad, you said it.
You really don’t want people to have an honest opinion on these things that sunny yours do you? I mean you're so quick to call my view dumb

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Definitely in the uncanny valley with Jiminy, but it is on the better side of that line for me. I think he still has his current voice from recent Disney projects(from what little I hear at least) so that’s neat

As for any story changes the movie may have, I’m curious to see how they’ll do. My biggest problem with most of these remakes is they were based on more recent movies. But for movies like Walt Disney’s Pinocchio that are over 50 years old at this stage, I’m more forgiving. Whether or not these changes will be good ones is another story, but all we can do is wait.

Sonofjafar

Awards
Definitely in the uncanny valley with Jiminy, but it is on the better side of that line for me. I think he still has his current voice from recent Disney projects(from what little I hear at least) so that’s neat

As for any story changes the movie may have, I’m curious to see how they’ll do. My biggest problem with most of these remakes is they were based on more recent movies. But for movies like Walt Disney’s Pinocchio that are over 50 years old at this stage, I’m more forgiving. Whether or not these changes will be good ones is another story, but all we can do is wait.
So you’re willing to let some of the greatest animated films of all time get turned into cheap live action cash grabs as long as they are older than the 90’s. Not mad, just want to make sure I know what the thought process is here. Also, from what I gathered, Joespeh Gordon Levvit is gonna be Jiminy Cricket

Soldier

Awards
Jiminy looks terrifying in this. Who thought taking the classic design and combining it with a realistic looking cricket was a good idea?
Well, if they do make him a realistic cricket that'll provide a lot of comedic relief for a lot of the disturbing story beats, like having pinoke have to talk into his legs for him to hear (which fun fact, actual crickets have their hearing organs located on their front legs, just below the knees).

KudoTsurugi

Awards
So you’re willing to let some of the greatest animated films of all time get turned into cheap live action cash grabs as long as they are older than the 90’s. Not mad, just want to make sure I know what the thought process is here. Also, from what I gathered, Joespeh Gordon Levvit is gonna be Jiminy Cricket
In a perfect world, we wouldn’t need these remakes, and personally I’d rather we didn’t have them but we do. This is not the first time Disney have made retellings of their stories(live-action or animated) and it’ll be far from the last. And if it fails, at least the animated film will still be there for people to watch.

Obviously there wasn’t a lot of winners among the remakes, especially those that tried to bank heavily on the nostalgia aspect, but some of them did have potential. Jungle Book was apparently one of the better ones, and while Mulan wasn’t great, you can at least say it tried to do something different from the animated version. And I think that perceived potential is why people are interested in remakes like this. For the older films, there are some elements that may have aged poorly to a modern audience, so I could understand why they’d want to remake them. Doesn’t mean I like it but I can understand it.

Ultimately it’s going to come down to if this new movie has a competent script, a unique take on the story and whether or not it can stand on its own without nostalgia goggles.

And I say this as someone who wished the Animation Age Ghetto in Hollywood was never a thing.

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
Obviously there wasn’t a lot of winners among the remakes, especially those that tried to bank heavily on the nostalgia aspect, but some of them did have potential. Jungle Book was apparently one of the better ones, and while Mulan wasn’t great, you can at least say it tried to do something different from the animated version. And I think that perceived potential is why people are interested in remakes like this. For the older films, there are some elements that may have aged poorly to a modern audience, so I could understand why they’d want to remake them. Doesn’t mean I like it but I can understand it.
Well giving Mulan magic powers when the point of the original was that she didn't NEED magic powers to do what she did to the hun army (unless you count Mushu's fire breath acting as a lighter for the rocket) and removing Mushu entirely definitely didn't help.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I thought Jungle Book was okay. I just thought it was in poor taste to remake a film where Walt Disney died during production. As for Mulan, the cards were stacked against it before the film even released. If I may be frank, it would make more sense to me for these remakes to be limited to the Disney movies that weren’t huge hits and /or currently banking on nostalgia. The main example I have is black cauldron but I’m sure there are others.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
As far as the remakes making dumb changes, this film actually looks like one of the better ones upcoming when compared to, say, Mulan--poor Mulan did not deserve that. Tom Hanks was a perfect cast much like Jolie as Maleficent, Watson as Belle, etc., and most of the animal characters look fine to me. *shrug* Jiminy does look a bit odd, but I mean...it's sort of how the stop-motion cricket in James and the Giant Peach looked.

Now I'm just praying Disney casts JHUD as the lead Muse in Hercules, that would be another perfect cast; if we can get that news confirmed, then I can sort of breathe a sigh of relief and finally start looking forward to that one as much as I am Pinocchio and the Hunchback of Notre Dame remake.

KudoTsurugi said:
Obviously there wasn’t a lot of winners among the remakes
I enjoyed Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and B&tB, and I feel like those films are best case scenarios for any of the remakes. Maleficent and The Lion King were alright. That's about it for me. I think I'll enjoy Pinocchio about as much as TLK at least, going by what we've seen so far.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I will only watch this movie if David Gallagher swoops in, kidnaps Pinocchio and says "I has unfinished business with this puppet" and Prankster's Party must play in the background. If they do that then I'll devote some time to this movie.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I will only watch this movie if David Gallagher swoops in, kidnaps Pinocchio and says "I has unfinished business with this puppet" and Prankster's Party must play in the background. If they do that then I'll devote some time to this movie.
How are you going to know that happens without watching the movie?

Back