• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Plagiarism

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagayaki

Awards
Plagiarism is an all too common, parasitic process. It strips the original author or artist off of their blood, sweat, and tears. Some would say it's a compliment to the original, but the line between 'inspiration' and blatant copy is pretty thin.

I found a pretty decent article on plagiarism in the anime/manga world. Some of the instances I think are way off, and it might be ok to reference off of a photo to make your work more popular. But others are blatantly obvious.

A Tradition in Plagiarism | ComiPress

There are pretty famous cases of plagiarism on purpose. One case of accidental plagiarism was from when Helen Keller was 11 years old. She wrote a book called "The Frost King". It turns out there were many similarities to a book that was read to her when she was still learning how to communicate, called "The Frost Fairies". If you've ever read or watched something a long time ago, and it sticks in the back of your mind and you forget about it, and you decide to write your own story and it all comes out... Yeah, I've had experiences like that.

Have you ever plagiarized, if on purpose or accidentally?

Has anyone ever been plagiarized? I'm just posting this, because...I think one of my manga ideas has been plagiarized...and turned into garbage.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I think that we've all done a little bit of it (albeit accidental) to an extent, adopting ideas or stories we heard as children before we could really remember hearing the story much like Helen Keller.

Though that kind of plagiarizing usually isn't profound or anything since it's usually just an idea or two seeping in.

As for full blown and intentional plagiarizing, no I've never done it. Hell I wasn't even that good enough in school to write decent ideas in english class. haha

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I think that we've all done a little bit of it (albeit accidental) to an extent, adopting ideas or stories we heard as children before we could really remember hearing the story much like Helen Keller.

Though that kind of plagiarizing usually isn't profound or anything since it's usually just an idea or two seeping in.

As for full blown and intentional plagiarizing, no I've never done it. Hell I wasn't even that good enough in school to write decent ideas in english class. haha

Yeah, I think that's all happened to us before as in Helen Keller's position.

The other day I was worrying if I was copying somebody else's fanart. It turns out I wasn't. I gave credit to the artist and where I got the picture from. Citations help you avoid situations like this. And, as a college student, plagiarism can be pretty fatal to my college career.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
When writing junk, people borrow ideas from other areas to add their own twist to it. There's a fine line between outright stealing something and claiming it as your own and using the concept of an existing idea to enhance your own stuff.
This part of a cracked article (yeah, seriously) actually brings up a really good point about being unoriginal, though it's not the same exact topic as plagiarizing.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
In these cases, I think you should look into the difference between getting inspired by something and blatantly copying it. In universities, they take these things veeeeery seriously, and you might be accused of cheating if you're not careful enough to cite each and every idea in your projects.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
In these cases, I think you should look into the difference between getting inspired by something and blatantly copying it. In universities, they take these things veeeeery seriously, and you might be accused of cheating if you're not careful enough to cite each and every idea in your projects.

That's very true. I make sure that I cite my sources. I worry a lot about citing them wrong. College is very difficult when it comes to copying somebody else's work.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
In the 5th grade, we had what was known as the "Decade Project". We were given a specific decade from the US's history and told to write about the significant events that may have happened in that decade. I still remember, YEARS LATER, that I had the 1810's mainly because nothing significant really happened during that time period.

Long story short, one of the events I wrote about was The Battle of the Alamo(that's how shitty my decade was. I had to write about an event that took place in the 1830's). I handed it in but when I got it back, to my surprise, my teacher hadn't graded it. She had written a note on it that said she wanted to speak to me in private. Turns out she thought I plagiarized the entire paper because, as she said, there was no way a 5 grader could write such a well written paper. I showed her the book I used and after some comparison, she realized I hadn't plagiarized at all.

I've felt good about my writing abilities ever since then lol.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I don't think I've ever plagiarized or have been. I don't even look at other peoples Poke-humans because I'm so worried I'd be influenced by their work.

Just thinking of plagiarism reminds me of this.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I don't think I've ever plagiarized or have been. I don't even look at other peoples Poke-humans because I'm so worried I'd be influenced by their work.

Just thinking of plagiarism reminds me of this.

Whoa, that was interesting topic. I can see why somebody would think that Bleach is being ripped off. A lot of the scans are pretty similar.

Kagayaki

Awards
Ok, let's say you've been working on something for a while, like a comic/manga, animation, book, or some other fictional media. And while you're still thinking of ideas, before you are about to publish it, someone else puts out something that has themes and elements, and a storyline VERY similar to yours. Worst of all, they become famous for it. So, what do you do in that situation? Do you scrap the idea and start from scratch so you don't become accused of plagiarizing? Or do you just do it anyway and hopefully it still might be original? Or do you steal their ideas back for revenge?

I found something that made me realize how often this happens: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=KaxGX3q11-Y44xl5K98u9g&bvm=bv.72938740,d.aWw

So, what do you do when you're the poor, hapless soul with their idea or invention stolen, without credit? Do you just fade in the dark because you weren't fast enough?

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Haha, I just remembered something!

I knew what plagiarism was even in first grade. Even so, we had a report to do on an animal, and I got the letter "I."
So...I half copied a book on animals I had in the section on iguanas XD

I was 5, ok? DON'T JUDGE ME TOO MUCH! I even said I didn't copy it ENTIRELY :3

KaiserAssassin

Ok, let's say you've been working on something for a while, like a comic/manga, animation, book, or some other fictional media. And while you're still thinking of ideas, before you are about to publish it, someone else puts out something that has themes and elements, and a storyline VERY similar to yours. Worst of all, they become famous for it. So, what do you do in that situation? Do you scrap the idea and start from scratch so you don't become accused of plagiarizing? Or do you just do it anyway and hopefully it still might be original? Or do you steal their ideas back for revenge?

I found something that made me realize how often this happens: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=KaxGX3q11-Y44xl5K98u9g&bvm=bv.72938740,d.aWw

So, what do you do when you're the poor, hapless soul with their idea or invention stolen, without credit? Do you just fade in the dark because you weren't fast enough?

Well it depends. If it's something that clearly has had a lot of work put into it no matter how similar it seems to another work, go ahead and publish it. It's hard to create something that is similar yet different enough in such a short time span (ex. say I released my work A on the 1st of December that is extremely similar to yours work B. Both are very long novels that clearly have had plenty of time poured into both that follow a rather similar plot line. If you release your work say on December 4th, it would be hard to accuse you of having plagarized my entire story that quickly).

Kagayaki

Awards
Well it depends. If it's something that clearly has had a lot of work put into it no matter how similar it seems to another work, go ahead and publish it. It's hard to create something that is similar yet different enough in such a short time span (ex. say I released my work A on the 1st of December that is extremely similar to yours work B. Both are very long novels that clearly have had plenty of time poured into both that follow a rather similar plot line. If you release your work say on December 4th, it would be hard to accuse you of having plagarized my entire story that quickly).
I don't mean to revive the thread again just to put all the attention on me. Well, to be honest, I asked because I passionately worked on a shoujo manga series that was first inspired by Sailor Moon, but it never took off. I worked on it since about 1999, when I was 13-14 years old. Back then, if I launched it when I was that age, it would have turned out much differently than how I want it to be now.

The title is 12 Gems, or until I find a better title. The themes are birthstones and the Zodiac. The main character is a girl who wishes to change her identity--or mostly her outer appearance because she thinks that would make her life so much easier. But with all wishes come prices, and since her desire is to change most of what she was born with, she sacrifices a lot. It was supposed to be like The Nutty Professor, only much better written, and more politically correct. She's a Gemini, born on June 6, 2006, and because I want her to be born on that specific date, the events of the series take place in the year 2020-2024, when she will be 14-17 years old. There are other protagonists as well, however, I don't want them to be cookie cutter stereotypes of their signs, like how in Hetalia, each country is perfectly personified. However, there is a good reason why I gave them their birthdays. Their powers represent what traits they already have, but if they express a meaning of their gems that they need to express, then their individual gem on a magic breastplate will shine brighter. If all 12 gems shine their brightest, then anyone can wear the breastplate to gain immense power.

The sub themes are extremes vs. balance (because the main character thinks in extremes, like in feminism, she is either a damsel or a Leeroy). The "butterfly vs. moth" theme which is why she gets butterfly wings when she transforms, and goes with the "love makes beauty but beauty doesn't make love" theme. And the theme of the "star" and the worth of a person is explored, because her element is air, and stars are her power. There are also people who are considered stars, like the most popular students in school, and even people who have reached celebrity status all on the same team. She can reposition stars, and even send comets to earth, and sometimes conjure up a star while she's still on earth, maybe even black holes. But because she sort of sacrifices her own morals, she could prove to be extremely dangerous. The protagonists are people of different ages (you can activate your astral energy at age 12-31, depending on what month you were born), different races and ethnicities, different religions, different social-economic backgrounds, and different body types.

The villains are 4 people, born in each season, whose powers are elemental. Their mission is to kill anyone who stands out too much in society, and their bodies automatically become mindless drones, with all white skin and hair. Their targets can be people who stand out in a good way, like famous actors, musicians and scientific geniuses. Or, in a bad way, like mentally and physically disabled, poor people, and criminals. And the whole thing goes with the "individuality vs. conformity" theme.

And because the series is mainly focused on the girl who is a Gemini, wich represents communication, all the protagonists and antagonists will be thrust into situations where their communication and individuality is hindered in some way. The theme of gems represent the worth of a person. And I'm focusing on the American birthstone for June, alexandrite (Alexandrite is the Russian birthstone of August), which means something like love or life. And birthstones have many different meanings, and probably won't have the same meanings in 2020 as they did in biblical times. If I did a prequel on a Taurus character, then I will go with the themes of music, nature, and a woman's fertility and nurturing. And if I did a sequel on any other sign, I would change the theme according to that.

Back then I didn't realize or even care that there were so many magical girl series cloning one another, even before the classic Sailor Moon. But because I was so young, I didn't think I had the resources, or even the skill to release my series. And then in 2005, when I was in the middle of college, Avatar was released, which became a threat to my originality because the theme was elemental powers. My series also relies on elemental powers due to the theme. I guess that was ok, because it wasn't about the birthstones or how they relate to the Zodiac. And actually, Captain Planet has elemental powers in it, and it has been released in 1990. I got inspired to create my old series after hearing some music, and getting some encouragement when I went to my second college, in about 2009. I worked on it fervently, with much clearer character parameters and plot lines than before.

But then Homestuck came in around 2010, which took my Zodiac theme, complete with each protagonist to represent each sign, like I wanted, and Steven Universe came in 2013, which took my gemstone warrior theme, and turned it into complete garbage. Now I'm left with nothing. Worst of all, those are popular and mainstream, so I would certainly lose any legal issues. I can't even draw anymore, now that I'm in this deep depression. I don't even buy any more art supplies. I got expelled from art school in 2008, and I can hardly remember any good times there. I'm just like one of those losers who fell in love with their first idea, like they told me not to be. I have other ideas, but they're not as well thought out as 12 Gems. I did so much research on the subjects, bought books, and even took classes just because I loved my series. I get that there are billions of burger chains in America. I get that there are many different ninja stories, but only one Naruto. So, should I still even attempt to do it, am I just another Fleischer Brothers case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back