• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Positive Bigotry

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Whenever we use the word 'bigot' we think of someone generally douchey and stuck in their ways - a person who holds attitudes that will not be willingly changed under any real circumstances. I don't know the right word for the half-opposite of a bigot, but it's something I want to discuss: Holding beliefs or fundamentals that relate to 'good' or 'useful' behaviour that someone wouldn't be able to let go of or be convinced of otherwise.

Basic principles and the like, because ultimately a lot of perspectives of life, goodness, the world and so forth rely on certain assumptions that many people hold to very strongly. Some assumptions that can't even be truly 'proven' unless you want to get into some metaphilosophy/physics. So, as a start, I'd like to as KHI: What unshakeable beliefs do you hold that would make you a 'positive bigot'?

Mine:

• Unprovoked, non-reactionary initiation of force and/or violence is always wrong.
  • It is wrong to discriminate against people based on statuses they cannot choose to have (age, sex, gender identity, sexuality, race, etc).
  • People must be allowed to hold whatever beliefs they wish, even if they might be the most hateful things in the world to think. Keep in mind that it's possible for people to act differently to what they feel is right or justified.
  • A person's right to a belief is something to be respected. That said, the belief itself does not need to be respected - it should be judged on its own merits.

Those are just some fundamentals. From what I can gather, people tend to have LOADS of implicit or unshakeable beliefs they didn't know they held.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I dunno. I think bigotry isn't really about sticking to a belief no matter what, it's about sticking to a belief with underlying prejudice, hatred and intolerance no matter what. So those things in your list, which involve minimising prejudice, hatred and intolerance, wouldn't really have anything to do with bigotry... unless you would hate people who didn't agree with your list no matter what, I suppose!

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
As I said, bigotry was used just because I didn't know of a more suitable word to tie its opposite to~

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hmmm... how about... intolerance?

It's not inherently good or bad, really. And intolerance of intolerance is certainly a thing, I've seen people get called hypocrites in that regard. I've seen, for example, anti-gay people calling out pro-gay people for intolerance, as in, not tolerating intolerance.

Wonderglow

the way you're measuring morality is called deontology, or "duty ethics"

i don't think there's any way to describe it other than having stagnant beliefs

Wire

There is only one positive bigotry as far as I'm concerned, and that's a bigotry toward intolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back