• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Post your 2011 GOTY

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I'm of the same opinion as Asir, as far as the Game of the Year is concerned:

Dark-Souls1-600x375.jpg

I was able to completely immerse myself in the world of Dark Souls, to a degree that few to no other games have allowed me to. The environments, combat, enemies, lore, characters, and voice acting were all superb.

Dark Souls presents itself in a way that is very contrary to the usual gaming fare: Despite your grand destiny, you are treated no differently than anyone else. The world doesn't unfold before you like a red carpet; instead, you must pry the world open, and earn the knowledge that leads to a better ending. There is a story, though--believe me.

Yeah, this is my choice as well for the same reasons.

I haven't played Skyrim, but I know what the core game design is like. Based on that alone, even if I had played it, I don't think I would've chosen it as my personal contender for GOTY.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I thought Assassin's Creed Revelations was lackluster?

1. That's an opinion, not fact.

2. I enjoyed my time with it, and the question asked by OP is specific to the one answering.

3. The general consensus doesn't have to be yours.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
1. That's an opinion, not fact.

2. I enjoyed my time with it, and the question asked by OP is specific to the one answering.

3. The general consensus doesn't have to be yours.

I agree with this. I never said that I knew or anything, I just said that I thought it wasn't as good. Which game do you think is the best in the Assassin's Creed series?

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Deus Ex:HR.

On a side note,I can't believe how Bethesda won developers of the year award by Spike.That is if they meant which dev went ahead with releasing a broken game,not paying much attention to the fan's complaints,and not bothering fixing the main issues then yes,Bethesda tops them all.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
^ lol very true.

If I'd pick game of the year....hmmmm this is a hard one. Is it right to choose a game you haven't played yet? I haven't played the other half of the nominated games sooo....

Skyward Sword.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
SKYRIM, though I should mention that Dark Souls was the second best game I've ever played next to KH (and BBS) before Skrim came out

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Though nobody has said it yet, mine would either be:

Batman: Arkham City

or

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 / Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Deus Ex:HR.

On a side note,I can't believe how Bethesda won developers of the year award by Spike.That is if they meant which dev went ahead with releasing a broken game,not paying much attention to the fan's complaints,and not bothering fixing the main issues then yes,Bethesda tops them all.
Yeah, giving them best developer and best game is kind of overkill,and like spitting in the faces of, say, Arkham City which both gamers and reviewers agree is a 10/10 game.
Though nobody has said it yet, mine would either be:

Batman: Arkham City

or

Read the first page, I said Arkham City.

Awards
Skyward Sword.

Yup, it was the underdog because it was on Wii which is not a system that you usually associate with hardcore gaming.
Everybody and their mum has a Wii. To associate it being the underdog because it's the most owned system is pretty silly. Yeah, it doesn't have competition in the realm of graphics, but you seriously seem to underestimate both the Zelda and the Nintendo fanbase. Zelda games are always big.

Shadow Key

I guess I'm gonna be the minority and go with Uncharted 3. It was a wonderful story and the graphics were stunning.

I don't know what it is about Skyrim, but the game turns me off for some reason. I guess I just didn't enjoy it as much as others do. *shrugs*

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
All in all, this was probably mine. I know it's sort of an odd choice, but this game gave me endless entertainment with friends if you ignore how repetitive it can get without people to do it with. There's just constant news about tournaments as well with people finding new technology that works. Definitely takes the cake for me with how much playtime I got in.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
portal 2/skyward sword/skyrim

do not make me choose. it is too difficult to say a game from genre a is collectively better than a game from genre b.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
Everybody and their mum has a Wii. To associate it being the underdog because it's the most owned system is pretty silly. Yeah, it doesn't have competition in the realm of graphics, but you seriously seem to underestimate both the Zelda and the Nintendo fanbase. Zelda games are always big.

It's a rarity to see a Wii game be in the running for GotY so that's what makes it the underdog in my view. It has nothing to do with who owns a Wii or graphics. Sure many people own a Wii but how many of the system's games would you consider GotY material that all these people are playing? Skyward Sword proved that the weakest system internally can still put out games that compete with the more powerful systems while showing off the best of what it can do. I don't underestimate Nintendo or Zelda, but the Wii has been underestimated.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
It's a rarity to see a Wii game be in the running for GotY so that's what makes it the underdog in my view. It has nothing to do with who owns a Wii or graphics.

um

super mario galaxy 2 in 2010
super smash bros brawl in 2008
super mario galaxy in 2007
twilight princess in 2006

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
portal 2/skyward sword/skyrim

do not make me choose. it is too difficult to say a game from genre a is collectively better than a game from genre b.

i was under the impression you hadn't played it

if that's the case how could you vouch for it lol

SuccubusAki

I still say it's Skyrim. It was just aboslutely incredible. The immense amount of quests to do, the large and beautiful world... almost everything about it is amazing. I would have liked to see Skyward Sword win too though, it looks like such an amazing game. Than again, getting inducted into the Video Game Hall of Fame is amazing as well. I think the Zelda series deserves that more than Game of the Year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back