• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Post your 2011 GOTY

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

αsiя

space coke
With the VGAs announcing what they thought was the best game of the year, why don't we do it too.

My goty is a game that wasn't even mentioned oncein the VGAs but was in one category:

dark-souls-logo.jpg

Although it was a hard decision between this and Skyrim and I probably would of chosen Skyrim if it wasn't for the shitty PS3 version that I have to play since I don't have enough money to upgrade my PC so I can play the superior version of it. But still, Dark Souls is the most engrossing game I've played this year which says a lot since it virtually has no story to it but instead you experience the story through venturing its environments that are wonderfully crafted and with its challenging but satisfying gameplay, Dark Souls ended up being my GOTY.

Second place goes to Skyrim, third being Shadows of the Damned.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I really didn't play much in the way of video games this year (kinda sad about that), but my favorite game of the year has got to be Bastion. While it might not have the deepest gameplay ever (tough I found it really addicting), and it wasn't particularly long, it was definitely one of the most creative. I love the presentation, the story, and especially the atmosphere. You really get sucked into the world and feel like you're experiencing things along with the characters.

And dat soundtrack. Oh man dat soundtrack.
[VIDEO=YOUTUBE;Iuer0snNOrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuer0snNOrE[/VIDEO]

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Batman: Arkham City. I have yet to play it, but I loved Asylum and the gameplay and trailers are amazing. Second would go to Skyward Sword, and third Bastion.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Skyrim. I've been pulled into it and engrossed by it more than any other game, and enjoyed it immensely even in spite of its quest-killing glitches and shortcomings. The upcoming release of official modding and development tools is a huge plus.

Battlefield 3's campaign was absolutely abysmal, but the multiplayer is huge and fun as hell. Only issue I find with it is that even on normal servers you die too quickly. I can't imagine what playing on Hardcore would be like.

Assassins' Creed: Revelations' plot felt like a trudge through relative monotony. The character whose story most interested me - Altair's - came up the least, and little more was truly discovered about the First Civilisation. The multiplayer is fun but the fact that it allows for no real combat engagement is a serious detractor, and I'm surprised there can't at least be a singular game mode in which people can engage in proper fights.

Overall, Skyrim. Haven't played Dark Souls yet, dammet.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I'm of the same opinion as Asir, as far as the Game of the Year is concerned:

Dark-Souls1-600x375.jpg

I was able to completely immerse myself in the world of Dark Souls, to a degree that few to no other games have allowed me to. The environments, combat, enemies, lore, characters, and voice acting were all superb.

Dark Souls presents itself in a way that is very contrary to the usual gaming fare: Despite your grand destiny, you are treated no differently than anyone else. The world doesn't unfold before you like a red carpet; instead, you must pry the world open, and earn the knowledge that leads to a better ending. There is a story, though--believe me.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
Mine definitely goes to the underdog Skyward Sword. This game is a total love letter to all Zelda fans, and seems to have something from every previous Zelda game before it. Screw all the COD fanboys who hate on its graphics, they are great, and the style is a perfect balance of cartoony emotion, which helps the story along, and realistics, so characters don't have heads bigger than the rest of their bodies (like Wind Waker). As for the story, definitely the most gripping of ANY NINTENDO game at all, constantly twisting and turning, yet keeping pretty perfectly to established Zelda mythos. The controls work perfectly and add a whole new layer to immersing yourself in the game. As for the dungeons, the new style definitely works, as unlike with past Zelda games, it doesn't feel like the dungeons were placed just so the hero could walk through them some day, but actually fell like they serve some purpose. I could write more, but I feel like this post is already long enough.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
The legend of Zelda skyward sword, because its just straight up fun, and THATS all I want in a game.

Skyrim kinda bored me tbh....I don't know why, but it did, my little brother loves it though.

Awards
Mine definitely goes to the underdog Skyward Sword.
It was an underdog....?

In any case, my vote most definitely goes towards Skyrim. There is no game out there that offers as many different options and playstyles without forcing you to do anything to enjoy yourself. The immensely large and engrossing game world on it's own is phenomenal, let alone the satisfaction you get from simply playing the game, whether it you jump straight into the main quest, explore side quests and guilds, or just avoid doing anything at all. There is no game that compares to it. You could spend hundreds of hours enveloped in Skyrim and still find new and surprising things every day. It deserves every award it's been given.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
Skyward Sword.

Yup, it was the underdog because it was on Wii which is not a system that you usually associate with hardcore gaming.

KNightof5orrow

Where is the Muffin Button?
Website
www.myspace.com
Skyward Sword.

Yup, it was the underdog because it was on Wii which is not a system that you usually associate with hardcore gaming.

No matter if Skyward Sword was released on Gamecube, I would bet it would've had a good shot at GOTY. I haven't played it yet, but Zelda will always be one of my favorite series. It would've been my second choice for GOTY.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I played a lot of games this year; Just about every major release and loads of smaller releases, downloadable games, and indie releases as well.

Out of all of them, I think I would have to say Portal 2 is still my personal GOTY choice.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Skyward Sword. I just like it because it's different than what I'm used to in Zelda games. Been having really fun playing through it so far.

icmasticc

I would choose Uncharted 3. I've played and owned Skyrim and played Arkham City. Didn't play Skyward Sword cause I don't own a Wii but I've been a Zelda fan since the Gameboy iterations. Uncharted 3 blew my mind, even if it some people feel the leap wasn't same as Uncharted 1 to 2. It's just my opinion though. I don't feel like going into detail to be flamed to hell because gamers are too harsh and simple-minded nowadays lol.

Dross263

the-witcher-2-release-date-is-may-17-2010.jpg

This game is a masterpiece, the entire setting is different from every other RPG I have played, the atmosphere is dark and disturbing, elves and dwarves don't live in giant trees or mines, they live in ghettos and are discriminated by humans, you get to see sex, racism, prostitution, drug addiction, and political affairs like corrupt nobles, wars for territory and manipulation of citizens. Soldiers are not like in other games, most of them are brutes and rapists, addicted to drugs and gambling.

Geralt is not like other RPG protagonists either, he is cynic, cold and calculating, he will do anything for a few orens, and even in the most unjust situation he won't help if he's not payed. The ammount of choice you have in this game is phenomenal, there are 16 different endings, and unlike other RPGs like Dragon Age or Mass Effect your choices aren't either black or white, but different shades of grey. I don't know, I just fell in love with this game's dark-fantasy atmosphere and mature themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back