• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Potential Release Year for KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

khspartan14

I remember hearing something that Nomura wanted a game every year starting with Days, which has been true. But I'm not sure if that's hearsay or not. So with 2.5 coming out this year, should we expect KH3 to release in 2015? From the fact at E3 he said was unsure of even revealing it at its development stage, is 2015 unrealistic? I mean, there's still no release date for FF XV as of this post, so I'm wondering what other people think.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Nah, 2015 won't happen, they only just started the game (though I suppose they have XV's engine to build on). Assuming KH3 will be out in 2015 means assuming it will be done by mid-year, to make room for marketting and distribution. And that would mean the whole dev cycle was what, a year and a half? A AAA game built in that little time without EA money is going to be dreck, unless the FFXV engine is worldshattering and we just can't live without another game on the same platform (full disclosure: XIII-2 took about the same amount of time built on another game's engine, so maybe I am just being facetious. And grumpy). Though I suppose we could postulate on whether or not KH3 will be dreck?

I've heard some people guess that we might get a DDD port/remake next year but I think the most likely explanation for "skipping" a year will be FFXV, yeah. It's big, it takes time and resources... it's sort of a KH game as it is, so we could just pretend it counts... Imho, we won't see KH until at least 2016, and in the west, just get comfy, unless they announced a global release and I missed it (and if they did, well then let's all get comfy). I'm personally hoping for a 3 year dev cycle. Keep in mind that Birth by Sleep took nearly 5 years, to paraphrase that great bastion of accuracy, Wikipedia (5 years minus approximately 6 months spent developing Re:CoM, apparently). Much of that would have been engine programming, but what we've got to question is 1) How much money is SE willing to spend, 2) How much time are they willing to wait, and 3) How much time the FFXV engine will save (or cost!).

Last edited:

sonickenshin

Awards
I pretty much agree. 2016 might be a safe bet for KHIII, though I won't put it past them to get it out by 2017.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm not incredibly savvy on the tech they're using so I can't really estimate. I know they're building the game on the PC then porting it, but I don't known what the usual development time for games like that is. At this point, 2015 does feel like it's pushing it, but then again, 3D was only in development for what? About two years if I'm not mistaken? It's been such a long time coming there's a certain urgency to get KH3 out, so while it might not be ideal, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it too soon.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm not incredibly savvy on the tech they're using so I can't really estimate. I know they're building the game on the PC then porting it, but I don't known what the usual development time for games like that is. At this point, 2015 does feel like it's pushing it, but then again, 3D was only in development for what? About two years if I'm not mistaken? It's been such a long time coming there's a certain urgency to get KH3 out, so while it might not be ideal, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it too soon.

DDD was built on the same assets that have been used since KH1, and other games. That's what made KH games fast to put out.. The tech was already there. KH3 is all new tech and assets, therefore a longer development process.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I'd really rather they take a break in that one-game-a-year norm and take their time to properly think about the game, especially when it comes to writing quality. Sure, KH has never been known to have the best writing quality, especially when it pertains to their flagship, more popular titles such as KH1 and KH2, but that's hardly an excuse to keep it sub-par. They should not rush things; we waited for many years and I'm sure another year of waiting won't really hurt. Unfortunately, this can't be said about the more casual fans out there who cares only about numbered titles.

I'd be completely fine with 2015 being a vacuum year. If there has to be a game, though, give me Theathrythm: Kingdom Hearts and I'd die a happy man and ascend to Heaven to a choir of angels.

Ruran

Awards
DDD was built on the same assets that have been used since KH1, and other games. That's what made KH games fast to put out.. The tech was already there. KH3 is all new tech and assets, therefore a longer development process.

Some KH games spend some quite some time in development though. I don't know the time frame for all of them, but KH1, 2 and BbS took approximately 4-6 years. Much of the data of the older games have been lost and they usually build the games from the ground up, especially if it's on a completely different system.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
To be fair, they've expressed that working with the PS4 has been easier than the PS3.

There are way too many balls in the air to predict with accuracy, and the factors are changing all the time. The game-a-year mentality should probably be thrown out the window after this year as Nomura's been good to his word, and there seems to be some sort of unspoken understanding between all of us that the rule only pertained to games pre-kh3's development.
(we really ought to come up with names for the generations of KH development)

Aws

Awards
I think KHIII might be released in late-2016.

Nomura promised us a KH game every year, and since the story is so complex, we have the 1.5 and 2.5 HD ReMixes which include all of the games EXCEPT for DDD, so I think we'll be getting an HD Final Mix version of DDD in 2015, which would mean that KHIII is set for 2016 since we're getting a KH game every year.

Not to forget that Nomura did state that FFXV is coming way before KHIII, and with the state of KHIII's development, it would be impossible to get it out before 2016.

I'd say the DDD Final-Mix HD version -whatever they call it- will be out as an exclusive for the PS4 (yep PS4, not PS3) since Square Enix has yet to release a game on the PS4, and since FFXV and KHIII are very important to SE, they'd want to get more familiar with the hardware by releasing DDD before either games.

Ruran

Awards
To be fair, they've expressed that working with the PS4 has been easier than the PS3.

There are way too many balls in the air to predict with accuracy, and the factors are changing all the time. The game-a-year mentality should probably be thrown out the window after this year as Nomura's been good to his word, and there seems to be some sort of unspoken understanding between all of us that the rule only pertained to games pre-kh3's development.
(we really ought to come up with names for the generations of KH development)

As I mentioned before, I'm not incredibly tech savvy, but wouldn't KH3 being developed on the PC then ported to the PS4 and XBox be a different process then if it were developed using those systems directly?

Either way, I don't think too many people would care if there were a year or two skip. I was never too fond of the "one game per year" thing myself, but from what I understand, it's a policy Square as a whole is trying to inforce. From what I recall, they it was announced that they wanted to put out at least one FF a year so I can only presume it's a policy they're trying to inforce with their most lucrative games. It may not be totally in Nomura's control.

Oh shit, I forgot I was doing that...I was doing that very thing, coming up wiith names for generations of KH games but somewhere along the lines, I dropped the idea. I think it was mostly because I wasn't sure where to fit 3D and KH3. They're kind of the "odd balls" as of now.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think KHIII might be released in late-2016.

Nomura promised us a KH game every year, and since the story is so complex, we have the 1.5 and 2.5 HD ReMixes which include all of the games EXCEPT for DDD, so I think we'll be getting an HD Final Mix version of DDD in 2015, which would mean that KHIII is set for 2016 since we're getting a KH game every year.

Keep in mind, what he actually said was that he'd like to release one game every year. No promises were actually made.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I'd be completely fine with 2015 being a vacuum year. If there has to be a game, though, give me Theathrythm: Kingdom Hearts and I'd die a happy man and ascend to Heaven to a choir of angels.

I would rather they not release Theatrhythm before KH3 because then I'll die before KH3 comes out and never get to play it :(

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
As I mentioned before, I'm not incredibly tech savvy, but wouldn't KH3 being developed on the PC then ported to the PS4 and XBox be a different process then if it were developed using those systems directly?

One of the reasons developing for the PS4 is "easier than the PS3" is because its architecture is very close to a PC (the same is true of the One, and even the 360 and PS3, but something must have changed if Nomura prefers it. If nothing else, the PS4's will let them build technology and assets that compromise less than they needed to on the PS3). We've been getting closer and closer each generation and the line between console and PC is nearly artificial at this point. But yes, presumably there are still a few differences that make developing directly for the console different than developing on the PC and porting.

I would rather they not release Theatrhythm before KH3 because then I'll die before KH3 comes out and never get to play it :(

Nah, Theatrhythm's development won't scratch KH, I bet you. Yoko Shimomura's the only KH person who needs to be involved, and by that I mean they need symphonic music from KH2. Once they've created the music for 2.5 (and maybe they already have?), they'll also have everything they need for a Theatrhythm and the "Theatrhythm Team" can just crank out another one.

Axel92

Awards
I imagine the next year they will release a Mobile Kingdom Hearts for Android/iOS (they are doing a great job developing Agito Final Fantasy XIII), maybe it could be a porting of Kingdom Hearts X or something similar (not plot relevant).
Then in 2016 they could release a DDD HD ReMIX for PS3/PS4 (Nomura want to put all the KH titles on a console, so DDD HD has to finish on PS3 too).
And then in 2017 the big thing, KH3!

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I think we'll be lucky if it even comes out in 2016. Final Fantasy XV is most likely going to be released in 2014 in Japan and perhaps late 2014-early 2015 for the rest of us. Assuming that the development team wants to put Dream Drop Distance on a console (could easily be either PS3 or PS4 at this point), that will take more time and resources for that remaster that they could be putting to use for Kingdom Hearts III. As a result, I'm personally expecting 2016-18.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think the game could come out sooner than expected just because how hard Disney has been pushing them and for so long. If it didn't come out by the end of 2016, I'd be shocked (and, yes, a little pissed).

zachen

Awards
The earliest I could see the game releasing is 2016. If Nomura is adamant about his whole '1 game per year' deal then I can see it being
2014: KH 2.5
2015: KH 3D HD Remake (Possibly not likely though imo)
2016: KH3

unbound_word

Honestly, haven't you guys noticed? 13 was an important number in the series. 2002-2014 = 12 years. But 2002-2015 = 13 years. And the main villains are once again Organization XIII. Only they're new and improved. Maybe Tetsuya Nomura will make something big of the 13th year for the Kingdom Hearts series. So, I'm hoping KH3 comes out next year the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back