• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Project Xehanort official title revealed: KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
My conspiracy theory is that they're rebranding UX as Kingdom Hearts X(cross)Road and that these two "games" will be the interwoven "Double Feature" that Nomura was talking about. Afterall, they haven't called DR a game. Not once.

GreyouTT

Awards
My conspiracy theory is that they're rebranding UX as Kingdom Hearts X(cross)Road and that these two "games" will be the interwoven "Double Feature" that Nomura was talking about. Afterall, they haven't called DR a game. Not once.

That would disappoint me as UX's power creep has gotten insane. I'd much rather have a new game with a fresh meta.

Awards
Why they didn't take Kingdom Hearts Another χ[chitty mobile game] is beyond me, it even had the anagram of Xehanort inside.
Prolly cuz even though it's likely being made by the UX team, they don't want it to be connected to UX. Which makes sense, as this game is gonna be set long after UX with its primary focus being Xehanort and not Union Leaders and the like.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
A lot of people, myself included, assumed it would be Kingdom Hearts Another χ but I would imagine that would be bad from a marketing standpoint to name it that. Even as a fan, your knee-jerk assumption is that it is tied to the Chi Saga or is yet another rebranding. I imagine most people's reaction to that name would be "Another χ? No thanks, I didn't even like the first one."

Much better to completely differentiate the two. I like the title, even if it is a bit simple for a KH name.

GreyouTT

Awards
Prolly cuz even though it's likely being made by the UX team, they don't want it to be connected to UX. Which makes sense, as this game is gonna be set long after UX with its primary focus being Xehanort and not Union Leaders and the like.

I don't think it's the UX team, otherwise they'd be handling two games at once. But yeah, it's not gonna be (directly) connected to UX.

Awards
I don't think it's the UX team, otherwise they'd be handling two games at once. But yeah, it's not gonna be (directly) connected to UX.
Yeah.

Anyway the reason I believe it's the UX team making Dark Road is because they were the ones who basically announced it with that twitter post that had the Nomura sketch, which is strengthened by this bit from the 13 Darknesses Q@A.

Q12. Will you tell us about any plans for future KH projects?

We still need some time with regards to main line Kingdom Hearts, but first up the KH UX team will have a surprising announcement tomorrow. Aside from the KH3 and KH UX teams, we actually have two new teams in operation, and from them one title will be coming surprisingly soon.

Edit: Apparently the official translation of Q12 mentions that the game from one of the new teams is the one where ReMind's title screen is some of the groundwork?

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m rather underwhelmed by the name after names like Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep. Didn’t expect anything wild but man...I expected something more wild

Noivern

Awards
Not really unlikely. UX seems pretty easy to manage, they probably have a generic team taking care of regular updates and the gacha side while what we refeer to the UX team (the ones responsible for the story, character design and some assets like the ost and gameplay) were moved to work on this.
For the story side, UX uses simple assets that are easy to develop and the updates come at a slow enough pace that I doubt they need much work to be done after getting the initial script from the writing team.
They also don't really make the updates 1~2 months ahead of release, they probably work on a batch that can suffice for months, maybe even a year in advance. Which frees enough time for staff to move to another property.

If anything I'd be surprised if any other team is responsible for this game.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
This sounds very plausible. Either they rebrand Union Cross into Cross Road(s), or when they finish KHUx's story, the ending will be called Cross Roads. Double points if they bring back the crossroads from KH1's enidng.

Also, Dark Road sounds like a simple enough name for the mobile market general audience.

drew0512

Awards
Here I thought people would appreciate a simple yet effective title after years of complaining and making fun of typical KH names.
How naive of me :p

Path would suit Xehanort better I guess, but I like the callback to Riku that "road" represents.

okhi12

Awards
Could as well have called it KH: Lame Name and it would be just as true. Dark Road sounds like the game is about driving at night in the countryside, lol.
Though Union X is not that great as a name either. Unchained sounded more epic.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm still not over how sucky this name is. Heck, "Road to Dark" would be a more fitting KH name.

I can see this happening.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Here I thought people would appreciate a simple yet effective title after years of complaining and making fun of typical KH names.
How naive of me :p

Path would suit Xehanort better I guess, but I like the callback to Riku that "road" represents.

They trained us to expect weird names. What do you expect? XD

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

The UX team was the one who announced it. This is their project.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Such a simple and non-confusing name. Are we sure this is a Kingdom Hearts game? Anyway I'm cool with a Xehanort game. I said this in another forum and I'll repeat it here, if there is time travel I demand old man Xehanort say 1.21 gigawatts to his younger self. They have to now!

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Off the bat, it's not a good sign that we're already comparing this game to the one that Nomura came up with when he was drunk.

COM, BBS, DDD and Coded are phrases used in programming so there's some thematic consistency there.

I tried to look up DR as programming jargon or abbreviation but I didn't find anything noteworthy.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
Obligatory Old Town Road reference:

Eraqus: Yeah, I'm gonna take my blade down the Light path road
I'm gonna waaar for the Heart of all worlds.
Gonna take my blade down the Light path road
I'm gonna waaar for the Heart of all worlds.

YX: I got the Master in the back (MoM: Ayy!)
Luxu on the track
Clothes are matted black.
And my pupil's in the paaast.
Riding on my Keyblade.
Put you into your grave.
I stay making Heartless
Fuck a Disney, you ain't Bra-a-ave.

Can't nobody stop my Darkness
y' can't stop my Darkness
Can't nobody stop my Darklings
ya can't stop the Darklings.

*Vanitas in the back doing the Millie Rock*

D

Deleted member 252753

COM, BBS, DDD and Coded are phrases used in programming so there's some thematic consistency there.

I tried to look up DR as programming jargon or abbreviation but I didn't find anything noteworthy.
That's interesting. It's not a programming abbreviation exactly but DR can stand for Disaster Recovery, which describes contingency plans for if an IT system is taken down by a cyber attack or something

Back