• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Yes it does, again.
The point is to make it sound like "Keyblade" Ex doesn't sound like Key, at all.
If it were pronounced "Ex" yet still used the Greek letter "X" then that would be mispronouncing.

If they changed it to "Ex," they would pretty much be changing it to an entirely different letter (the English X).
well there are two pronunciations to X in greek, western is Chi, eastern is Xi (but it doesn't look like the letter X so this doesn't really count). either way mispronunciation doesn't mean mistranslation. also like i've said before, if it's said in-game, it doesn't really matter what we think if it does or not, in-game it will sound like it.

roxas-sora example.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Question: Does changing it from the Greek "X" to the English "X" change the overall plot and change the whole overall story?
Answer: No.

Question: Does it still keep the symbolism of the cross between Light and Darkness?
Answer: Yes.

*Question: Will less people do confused?
Answer: Yes

Question: Then why is it a horrible idea to change it?
Answer: Give me the answer.

EDIT*

Awards
either way mispronunciation doesn't mean mistranslation.

So are you saying you want it to be mispronounced?

also like i've said before, if it's said in-game, it doesn't really matter what we think if it does or not, in-game it will sound like it.

Except since the Xehanort Reports spell out how "X-Blade" is meant to be pronounced, it wouldn't make any sense for it to be called "ExBlade."

Question: Does changing it from the Greek "X" to the English "X" change the overall plot and change the whole overall story?
Answer: No.

No, you're right, but I don't see your point. Giving Aqua green hair doesn't change the story overall, nor is it necessary. Why change it? Moreover, it does contradict what was explicitly stated in the Xehanort Reports in terms of pronunciation.

Question: Does it still keep the symbolism of the cross between Light and Darkness?
Answer: Yes.

Yes but it in turn loses the irony of sounding like "Keyblade." By having it called the ChiBlade, it does both. It has the symbolism of the cross between light and darkness, and it sounds like Keyblade.

You're essentially arguing for dumbing it down here. If "most people" can't make the connection then that's too bad for them.

See all of the above.

Last edited:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Question: Why would learning something about another language or culture confuse North Americans?

And I think the answer to that might explain why it's a horrible concept.

I guess in NA they changed Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone to Sorcerers Stone so people wouldn't be confused. And that's bloody English in the first place.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I guess in NA they changed Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone to Sorcerers Stone so people wouldn't be confused. And that's bloody English in the first place.
lol they changed it because they wanted little boys to think it was cooler.

but you're right, NA fans are too stupid.
Let's change "Vanitas" to "Emptiness" so they dont get confused on the meaning/symbolism of the name~

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
lol they changed it because they wanted little boys to think it was cooler.

but you're right, NA fans are too stupid.
Let's change "Vanitas" to "Emptiness" so they dont get confused on the meaning/symbolism of the name~

Idk if they are stupid, but luap911 seems to think so.

LOL let's take Emptiness to the exopractor, he threw his back out after his fight with Water

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
You're essentially arguing for dumbing it down here. If "most people" can't make the connection then that's too bad for them.

No, I'm just saying that either way "X" is said, it doesn't make a difference, which you just agreed with.

Idk if they are stupid, but luap911 seems to think so.

LOL let's take Emptiness to the exopractor, he threw his back out after his fight with Water

I just laughed so hard at how stupid you are.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, I'm just saying that either way "X" is said, it doesn't make a difference

Just that? Really?

Question: Will less people do confused?

If it was Ex-Blade then it'd make less confusion.

It being "Ex" in the NA version would make sense to a much more amount of people who play the game, who are mainly kids (who have a reason to not be smart enough to understand, ie. they're young)

To me it makes more sense for it to be pronounced "Ex" though...

It seems to me that you've been saying that pronouncing it properly is too confusing and makes no sense.

Oh hang on, there was this reason, too:
I just prefer "Ex"

So it's 'too confusing' and you 'prefer' it Ex. By any chance.... were you the one confused by the greek letter?

YAY! IT MUST BE BECAUSE WE'RE IN NORTH AMERICA, AMIRITE?

lol irl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back