• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacksamurai2

Bronze Member

Radar

Bronze Member
Re: Prononciation

Yeah but I still like my Van-eh-tis. Thats just how I say it.

In my mind though, I dont think it is a really big deal.

Tidus14

they have changend the mouth of Yen sid. in the jump festa trailer. its like a robot. and now. I moves. ;D

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Why do you care about how its pronouced? It like tomatoe, no matter how you pronounce it it still means the same thing.
Probably because some pronunciations sound horrible... like the one used in the game.

Allister Rose

French Lover

well I'm still upset with some of the eastern influence of the names (it was until after kh2 i think). but oh well, hopefully the Xblade isn't pronounced ChiBlade.

maybe it just sounded like ven-ee-tus in that one scene but others sound like vanitas.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

well I'm still upset with some of the eastern influence of the names (it was until after kh2 i think). but oh well, hopefully the Xblade isn't pronounced ChiBlade.
I sure as hell hope it is pronounced that way--that was the whole point of the name.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

So, wait. How were you guys pronouncing Vanitas' name before, if you didn't think it was Va-NEE-tas? That's the proper Latin pronunciation. :I

Shadow Key

So, wait. How were you guys pronouncing Vanitas' name before, if you didn't think it was Va-NEE-tas? That's the proper Latin pronunciation. :I

Yeeeahhhh....

It's the proper pronunciation (btw you spelled pronunciation wrong, ironically, but no biggy man(I mean the thread title)) but I always pronounced it Van-it-as. Y'know, like the way it's spelled. :p

Allister Rose

French Lover

I sure as hell hope it is pronounced that way--that was the whole point of the name.
because somehow chi once dreived from kai which is death?

i think nomura should've thought a little harder than eastern influence. i'm sure nomura could made it so chi can be replaced with ex.

the only reason why i think it could stay is because ventus confused it with keyblade, but it could still work well, just the idea of the confusion between names is litle more vague in the english version than the japanese one.

though things like this kept names such as Xoin (could've been pronounced Zion for a closer English sound) than Shion (due to forget-me-not flower and shio meaning tide, though the latter hasn't been officially confirmed)

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

Yeeeahhhh....

It's the proper pronunciation (btw you spelled pronunciation wrong, ironically, but no biggy man(I mean the thread title)) but I always pronounced it Van-it-as. Y'know, like the way it's spelled. :p

Latin doesn't abide by all of the same rules as the English language. You probably should've seen something like this coming.

Raiinu K.D.

Awards

Thank you for actually paying attention to the Latin pronunciation.

Though if we wanna get technical, classical Latin pronounces "V" like "W." c;

αsiя

space coke

VanKneeTus. Vanitas, doesn't matter, it's how it's pronounced in Latin and how I always expected it to pronounced in the English. I guess it's true that KH fans complain about the most littlest things :/

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

but it could still work well, just the idea of the confusion between names is litle more vague in the english version than the japanese one.
Uh, no it's not. I don't see why Japanese players would be expected to know the Greek Letter X more than the English would.

Latin doesn't abide by all of the same rules as the English language. You probably should've seen something like this coming.
All I know is that I liked how it was pronounced in the Japanese version, and now it sounds worse in the English.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Uh, no it's not. I don't see why Japanese players would be expected to know the Greek Letter X more than the English would
i meant int he story, the X would be pronounced "X" instead of CHi. so the confusion between Xblade and keyblade would still be the same even if Xblade isn't pronounced as chiblade.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

i meant int he story, the X would be pronounced "X" instead of CHi. so the confusion between Xblade and keyblade would still be the same even if Xblade isn't pronounced as chiblade.
And that would thus defeat the entire purpose of the name. Aka, it's idiotic.

Not to mention, Xehanort's Report blatantly say "it's name sounds like Keyblade but it's not." X-Blade does not sound like Keyblade.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

Thank you for actually paying attention to the Latin pronunciation.

Though if we wanna get technical, classical Latin pronounces "V" like "W." c;
This is true! Unfortunately, classical pronunciation is all but mostly irrelevant, these days. jnj

Allister Rose

French Lover

And that would thus defeat the entire purpose of the name. Aka, it's idiotic.

Not to mention, Xehanort's Report blatantly say "it's name sounds like Keyblade but it's not." X-Blade does not sound like Keyblade.
how would it defeat the entire purpose of the name if the idea will still get across?

Xblade does sound similar to Keyblade, just not in the same way as the japanese.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

how would it defeat the entire purpose of the name if the idea will still get across?
Because the idea WON'T get across?

Xblade does sound similar to Keyblade, just not in the same way as the japanese.
It has nothing to do with the Japanese... Chiblade sounds similar to Keyblade in any language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back