• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB

Stay gold. Bang.
I always thought Vuh-NEE-tus sounded better from the start.

Awards
I don't get it.
Am I one of the few that expected it to be pronounced that way?

What's wrong with that pronunciation? What did most people anticipate the pronunciation to be?

aNtKeY3

I don't get it.
Am I one of the few that expected it to be pronounced that way?

What's wrong with that pronunciation? What did most people anticipate the pronunciation to be?
No I thought it was pronounced that way too because that is the way I have been pronouncing it. I don't see the problem?

Wheels

I looked up the latin pronunciation of Vanitas, so yeah, I wasn't expecting anything different to what we got XD

As for the X-Blade, they might explain the meaning of the X(as the original greek letter) further. Maybe add it to a Xehanort Report, or have him explain it. I honestly like 'Chi-Blade' better than 'Ex-Blade'. But I'm probably completely wrong, they'll change it to Ex-Blade and whole symbolic meaning of the name will be destroyed >:|

mysteriousenchan

The X-Blade. X is the first letter of the Greek spelling of Christ, and the Keychain resembles the symbol of the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven - which are also represented by the Kingdom Key (silver-shafted key) and Kingdom Key-D (gold-shafted key) that open Kingdom Hearts.

Radar

Bronze Member
I would be fine with them calling it either ex-blade or chi-blade. Most people would think it would just get translated to "ex"blade but the whole chi word has more meaning, right?

Awards
I've been pronouncing poor Vanitas's name wrong for the past 2 years, good Lord. I've always pronounced it Van-e (short e, like in the word "net")-tas.
I've been doing the exact same thing. pronunciation and all. Van eat us doesnt sound right to me. Van-e-tas sounds better IMO

Awards
I know that in English, neither the phonetic short "i" or long "i" is pronounced like "ee," but "Vanitas" is a name constructed in a romance language.
While I don't know Latin, Spanish is similar on many levels and does often pronounce "i" as "ee" (For example: "chica," "mi," "hijo," etc.).

I think "Van-eh-tus" would be a great deal more awkward than "Van-ee-tas."
Just because we're English-speaking doesn't mean we ought to pronounce all names as an English person would.
For instance, I wouldn't pronounce Jorge like "George," but rather "Hor-heh"

Hell, look at Riku! Same case, different language.
We pronounce it "Ree-koo" not "Rai-koo" (lawl pokemon) or "Rih-koo."

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Not to me, but to most people.

Using unsubstantiated general terms like 'most people' is a sign of weakness in a debate.

And it isn't changing the name, just the pronunciation.

It's changing the spelling and the pronunciation... that's changing the name, you know.

The whole point of it's name is that "X" represents the cross between light and darkness.

Okay! So you are going to call it the cross-blade, then? Cause "X" doesn't necessarily mean [ɛks] you know.

It being "Ex" in the NA version would make sense to a much more amount of people who play the game, who are mainly kids (who have a reason to not be smart enough to understand, ie. they're young), and those who grew up with the series.

What it sounds like you're saying is, North Americans aren't smart enough to learn one simple cool fact about greek letters?

Anyway, this is what wiki says on the matter.

Chi (uppercase Χ, lowercase χ; Greek: χῖ) is the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet, pronounced as /ˈkaɪ/ in English. Its value in Ancient Greek was an aspirated velar stop /kʰ/ (in the Western Greek alphabet: /ks/).

Do you know how to read [kaɪ]? That's [k] as in key, and [aɪ] as in pie. So maybe, it's more like Kai-blade. Except that [kaɪ] is actually what you call the letter, it seems. Like how we would call K 'kay', or M 'emm' or W 'double-yew'.

It says it is an aspirated velar stop, which means *digs up phonology textbook* you raise the back of your tongue on the soft back part of your mouth, and then kind of, spit out some cut off air. I think. (I fcuking hate phonology). In any case, it says there on wiki that it's pronounced [ks].... which is like, the sound at the end of 'asks'.

You know, that sounds a hell of a lot like 'X' to me anyway. Ks. Eks. MAYBE IT WILL BE THE 'KS-BLADE.

Edit:

From random greek thingy site

Ancient Greek letter chi was pronounced as [kh] ([k] aspirated, nearly as in English cut) at least until the 2nd century BCE. Its pronunciation started shifting to fricative [x] (i.e., to its Modern Greek pronunciation, which is as in Gernam "Bach") in various places at different times.

Well, it's definitely going to sound more like Key than Cheese or something ;D

Last edited:

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Using unsubstantiated general terms like 'most people' is a sign of weakness in a debate.

Not really.

It's changing the spelling and the pronunciation... that's changing the name, you know.

It still gets the main purpose out, which is what matters.

Okay! So you are going to call it the cross-blade, then?

Why not?

Cause "X" doesn't necessarily mean [ɛks] you know.

It still gets the main purpose out, which is what matters.

What it sounds like you're saying is, North Americans aren't smart enough to learn one simple cool fact about greek letters?

I clearly mentioned that its that age group (7 to 12 year olds) that the series is aimed at is who wont understand it.

Anyway, this is what wiki-

Wiki?
-laughs-
You're hilarious.
I stopped reading.
This argument was done anyways.

tri-blade

Hopefully, when they say the X-blade, they will say something like "Cross-blade." Nomura did say that the letter X represents "cross over to darkness" in the KH universe. It would make sense to call it that in the English version because it was created with equal amounts of light and darkness.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Hopefully, when they say the X-blade, they will say something like "Cross-blade." .
Cross-Blade is even worse than ExBlade.

I clearly mentioned that its that age group (7 to 12 year olds) that the series is aimed at is who wont understand it.
Nomura doesn't aim the series at any specifc age when coming up with the story (which is what the X-Blade falls under) so that is a poor reason.

Awards
ExBlade sounds far too camp.
ChiBlade, on the other hand, is meant to be ironic and already encompasses any meaning that would have come across through pronouncing it as "ExBlade."

The X-Blade is meant to sound like "Keyblade," as said in the Xehanort reports. To change the pronunciation is to, in effect, alter the canon as well. While pronunciation normally isn't that big of a deal, in this case, it is since it's for a specific purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back