• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSP2 details leak from newspaper, more info coming January 27th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Well Sony is having its first true PlayStation event since 2005 on January 27th, so we'll know more about the PSP2 then, but a Japanese newspaper (Nikkei) has leaked some neat new info in the meantime.

PSP2 to Have 3G Support, Arrives This Year (andriasang.com, 01.24.2011)

-It will provide 3G service (along with standard WLAN) for downloading movies/software and online gaming. This means that you will be able to connect to the internet anywhere there is a 3G connection from the carrier it supports (DoCoMo is the carrier in Japan. If they bring this feature to the US and make it free through Verizon or something, that would really be amazing, because you could connect anywhere). We're not sure if this feature will cost money, however, or if there will be a wi-fi only model available.

-It will have a touch-screen OLED (the highest quality screen available with the deepest contrast ratio).

According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Regarding the system's internals, the paper reports that Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Pricing on the next generation PSP is currently TBA, according to the paper. The paper does not mention possible subscription fees associated with the 3G service, or the possibility of a Wi-Fi only model.

The paper also makes brief mention of the device that many are calling "Playstation Phone," a smart phone that includes game features. This will have button-based controls, the paper reports, making games control easier. The device will use Google's Android operating system and will allow users to access non-game software like video and scheduling software.

Sony is expected to take the veil off the new PSP system at a press conference on the 27th. The PlayStation cell phone device is expected to be unveiled next month.

This information combined with the trackpad underneath the device detailed some months ago makes me officially more interested in this than the 3DS. However, it will probably cost $299 or more.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Shit. $300 for a handheld? Fuck the HD. Already have HD on my PS3.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
That's a number I completely made up, as the price is still TBA. (though I think it might even lean towards $349)

But this handheld is probably way more powerful than the 3DS, so did you expect it to cost the same as it? The 3DS is $250. :(

And no one mentioned HD...

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
But this handheld is probably way more powerful than the 3DS, so did you expect it to cost the same as it? The 3DS is $250.(
No, I actually didn't. I knew this handheld was gonna cost waaaay more than the 3DS.

And no one mentioned HD...

I've just read that it might be HD.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Hmm, I'm not so sure on this yet. I'll wait til more info and an eventual game lineup

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
What I get from this: PSP2 = iPhone/PS3 Hybrid

Hm. Well, I'll be 16 in a couple months, and planning to get a job... when I do, I'll start saving up.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It's going to have a touch screen? Fluff.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
PSP2 = Actual tech but will be spendy as hell I wager. Probably going to be slow but steady on the games front like the original PSP. Due to my speculation on the price I will probably wait longer on this one.

3DS = Overpriced gimmicky crap that I can't even freaking see properly. Only games are shovelware and a port of a game I have no interest in replaying. KH3D isn't gonna cut it alone. I don't want to buy this, but I will if I have a good enough reason to get it with games I want.

But I will probably end up getting both when they get games I actually want to play. I don't think I've ever bought a console/handheld unless I've had half a dozen games I know that I'll be playing extensively.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I pray there's no KH coming to this, or atleast not soon, I really don't have the money for this but if there come a KH I'll have to buy it eventually

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
If BBSv2 ends up on yet another console, I'm gonna just watch the walkthrough on youtube like I did with re: coded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back