• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSP2 news. (What? Really? Yes!)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

tangerine

Awards
Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

Several sources have confirmed to Kotaku that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad. When Sony showed the PSP2, it did not provide concrete details regarding how the trackpad will be implemented in games and instead is leaving that to the discretion of game developers.

Sources also confirm to Kotaku that the handheld will have dual analog sticks. Sony's game controllers traditionally have dual analog sticks, but the current PSP model does not. Dual analog sticks would bring the PSP controls more in line with what gamers experience on Sony's home consoles.

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".

A larger PSP should not be that big of an issue for Sony — especially in a mobile environment with large tablets like the iPad. It also shows that Sony realizes it is no longer simply competing with Nintendo, but also Apple.

It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.

In late September, there were also reports that the PSP2 hardware was in the hands of "numerous" developers.

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.

Sony set the PSP2's goals (what Sony wants it to do), but is still tinkering with the portable's innards. The PSP2's tech specs are expected to change, meaning that things like chip size and processor size are variable. What's more, the hardware Sony showed was "temp hardware", so the final design is expected to change.

Sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011. Sony is not yet talking openly about the PSP2.

Source: PSP2 Hits Next Fall With Dual Analog Sticks, Touch Pad and Bigger Screen

Allister Rose

French Lover
oh wow an inch ticker, plus battery issues. hopefully more is revealed. i guess not much on the touch screen on the back, which really made no sense to me.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Lots of potential, please don't screw up Sony...

Honestly, though, I think it'll be a cool piece of machinery regardless of what happens

denizenofevil

If it can play PS2 games, i'll buy on the first day. However, if it's digital media only, I might have a harder time parting with my money especially now that the 3DS will be out soon.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If it can play PS2 games, i'll buy on the first day. However, if it's digital media only, I might have a harder time parting with my money especially now that the 3DS will be out soon.

Yeah, 3DS kills any chance of me buying it early (especially at full price)

But I get awesome discounts so who-knows, I got my PSP for a ridculously low price

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
Compatibility with PS2 games would blow my mind.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
They already tried to overcharge you for the PSP-Go...

this thing has a touch screen on the back, a 1-inch larger front "HD" screen, and likely more powerful than the 3DS. I can see it hitting $400...easily.

But Sony being the bold bitches they are...$500 isn't out of their league either, lol.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i can imagine 300 at max.....still i can imagine more games going on psp2 also, but it might take a while like ps3.
touch screen on the back better be a very small screen......i hate it when they make this useless stuff. though dual analog sticks will definitely be more entertainng and will help allow more controls and fix the camera problem everyone seems to complain

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
I am guessing they have to make a choice between a touch screen on the front, but at a lower resolution. Or have the HD screen and sacrifice the touch screen. It seem they went with both, but I can't see how it would work, especially if you want to sort your inventory out.

Allister Rose

French Lover
does it even matter? i would like to see what osny can do, but most likely jack the price up way too high and then get the price down lil by lil. i'm kind of hoping they add ps2 ports onto psp2

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Boring. Nothing here caught my attention, plus this is bound to be expensive. Ill get the 3ds

IceBlueWings

もっともっと&#
What does 'big mouse trackpad' mean? :|

I kind of don't like the analog stick in the PSP even though I'm used to it, but nevertheless it sounds nice. I just don't think I'll buy it, because it will be very costly and I'm not so sure by that time I'll be playing games a lot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back