• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Puella Magi Madoka Magica

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Mahou-Shoujo-Madoka-Magika.jpg

Summary: There exist familiars who have the power to grant one wish to a chosen girl. However, that girl must then become a magical girl and fight against witches, evil creatures born from curses that are responsible for murders and suicides. A schoolgirl named Madoka Kaname and her friend Sayaka Miki are approached by a familiar named Kyubey and magical girl named Mami Tomoe with offers of becoming magical girls. Another magical girl named Homura Akemi tries to prevent Madoka from making such a deal.

To be perfectly honest, the first two episodes of the show kept me gripped through sheer strength of the surreal art style. The rest of the show was nice too, but it was the art that kept me going. However, with this third episode, my level of interest in the show itself has spiked. Though the art tends to suggest it, this most recent episode had a very distinctive "dark" quality to it. After seeing that, I love what SHAFT's trying with the genre (a genre that I usually roll my eyes at), and I actually can't wait for the next episode :O

Wow. I'm making a lot more threads for shows this season than I planned to. Guess there's just a lot of surprises.

Last edited:

Janus Q

I really like this show, it looks sweet but like a rose it has it's thorns and darkness. I really thought this would be just another magical girl anime but it's soooo much more. When you watch episode 3 the show takes a turn you never saw coming. i like the way this show paces itself in terms of character development. Normally the girl becomes a magical girl by episode one but these girls are actually taking their time with the descision to become warriors against the witches of the world. another thing i like about this anime.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
And episode four just solidified this as one of the more awesome series this season.

Oh yeah, and Kyubey is basically the scariest stuffed animal ever.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Saw the new episode.

Ok seriously, how is it that they can make a mahou shoujo series that I like this much? It shouldn't be possible!

Kyubey is such a conniving little devil :3

Janus Q

Kyubey has to have a separate agenda of some kind, it's like he's setting up Madoka's friends to be Magical Girls so she'll either join out of peer pressure or be pressured into saving them, that little stuffed animal has something cooking behind the scenes. And Haruma wants to prevent that since she's so adamant on keeping Madoka from making a contract.

Can anyone else besides me seeing this as a video game? This anime would be freaking sweet as an video game be it a fighting game or an adventure game fighting all the witches as Madoka, Sayaka, or Mami. I would definitely play as Mami, her rifles were sooooo cool.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Okay, that latest episode was FANTASTIC!

I loved the way they explained things and I love Kyubey's character. Just the way he operates is so opposite of everything I expect from everything I expect from the genre that it gives me goosebumps.

Also, the conversation between Madoka and her mother was so seinen that they might as well have had a sign flashing "this show is seinen" above the table.

Janus Q

i think episode 6 was another great plot twist. this is definitely a great twist for the genre to have. i don't think i've ever seen a darker magical girl anime then this show and i love it. i'm really looking forward to Madoka becoming a Magical Girl and seeing what she can do. Also i wonder how they're gonna break the news to Sayaka with what just happened?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Just finished the newest episode.

Ok seriously, more people must watch this. It is just too good go pass up.

Kyubey is awesomely conniving, and Sayaka's character just got 10 times more interesting.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Sorry to double post, but oh man.

Best episode yet.

I love this show. I really love this show. The way it executes and the revelations given are fantastic. I absolutely cannot wait to find out how everything fits together.

It's going to be one massive mindfreak, I'm sure.

Janus Q

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (ok seriously, everyone needs to watch this)

it's a mind freak almost every episode now. each time a new episode comes along we learn something new about the underlying plot of the series and Kyubey's real intentions for Magical Girls and witches. must keep watching.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

This show has totally gone under my radar.

Might pick it up.

I mean Shaft are a favourite studio of mine...so....

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

This show has totally gone under my radar.

Might pick it up.

I mean Shaft are a favourite studio of mine...so....

Trust me, you'll love it. This show is basically a complete destruction of everything that I think of when I think of the Mahou Shoujo genre.

I actually like it more than I like Level E :O

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

I actually like it more than I like Level E :O

woah woah woah. careful there. this show is THAT good?

I'm definitely going to have to give this a watch. Also if you think I'll love it. Me and you tend to have similar tastes so I think I'll download first episode now.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

Yes, yes it is.

Admittedly, Level E has the advantage in the sense that Madoka Magica doesn't start to get good until episode 3, but the excellent (and I do mean excellent) art direction and music should keep you hooked until then.

Awards

Yeah I got hooked for sure by episode 3.

I should recommend this to my cousin, she loved Sailor Moon. And this will flip her pancake.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

Watched the first episode last night. The trademark shaft art direction was what kept me interested. The episode itself was eeehhh ok but as you said it gets better around episode 3 so thats cool.

Not sure if its going to top Level E yet. We'll see.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

Yeah, the first two episodes basically went the standard route when it comes to mahou shoujo. It's the production values that keep it interesting until the show kicks in at episode three.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

I'm double posting. You know why? Because the two episodes that aired were awesome, that's why.

Seriously, I love how this show is put together.

Granted, the entropy explanation is complete nonsense; but hey, I'm willing to let this show redefine a word for the sake of the plot.

Awards

Entropy
–noun
Thermodynamics .
a.
(on a macroscopic scale) a function of thermodynamic variables, as temperature, pressure, or composition, that is a measure of the energy that is not available for work during a thermodynamic process. A closed system evolves toward a state of maximum entropy.
b.
(in statistical mechanics) a measure of the randomness of the microscopic constituents of a thermodynamic system. Symbol: S
(in data transmission and information theory) a measure of the loss of information in a transmitted signal or message.
(in cosmology) a hypothetical tendency for the universe to attain a state of maximum homogeneity in which all matter is at a uniform temperature (heat death).
a doctrine of inevitable social decline and degeneration.

I had to look it up since I forgot what it really was. XD

Yeah, I don't really get it either, but it's not that important.

Back