• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Queen Xion's Keyblade - IN KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
We all know that Xion's keyblade was "a sham" in Days. Is it safe to assume that it was also "a sham" in KH3 while working for the Organization? It seems to work fine when they all point their keyblades to the portal in the sky, so was there some point in time where the keyblade went from being fake to being an actual keyblade?

okhi12

Awards
As far as I know it was never a sham, actually. I guess Riku said that out of despite/jealousy, or because he knew there was something strange about Xion the moment he looked inside her hood and suspected about her true nature. He was aware of replicas being a thing, after all.

I don't remember which ultimania or interview but Nomura said both Roxas and Sora wielded Sora's keyblade at the same time. It can be applied to Xion as well, if the keyblade can exist in several places at the same time it means it's not fake. Xion only copied the ability to wield it, not the weapon itself. It's not like the org. XIII created a fake keyblade for her. If her keyblade was fake and not the same Roxas wielded she wouldn't have lost it at one point in the game. It is implied that happened because Roxas and Xion shared Sora's power, Roxas was stronger at that time and that weakened Xion to the point of being unable to wield. After going to missions together they balanced their power and Xion recovered the keyblade, and later in the game Xion was stronger, weakening Roxas. Sora's power was constantly fluctuating between them.

I think we can assume that when she returned, recovered her heart and became her own person she got a keyblade of her own, just like Roxas got two.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
As far as I know it was never a sham, actually. I guess Riku said that out of despite/jealousy, or because he knew there was something strange about Xion the moment he looked inside her hood and suspected about her true nature. He was aware of replicas being a thing, after all.

I don't remember which ultimania or interview but Nomura said both Roxas and Sora wielded Sora's keyblade at the same time. It can be applied to Xion as well, if the keyblade can exist in several places at the same time it means it's not fake. Xion only copied the ability to wield it, not the weapon itself. It's not like the org. XIII created a fake keyblade for her. If her keyblade was fake and not the same Roxas wielded she wouldn't have lost it at one point in the game. It is implied that happened because Roxas and Xion shared Sora's power, Roxas was stronger at that time and that weakened Xion to the point of being unable to wield. After going to missions together they balanced their power and Xion recovered the keyblade, and later in the game Xion was stronger, weakening Roxas. Sora's power was constantly fluctuating between them.

I think we can assume that when she returned, recovered her heart and became her own person she got a keyblade of her own, just like Roxas got two.
Xion's keyblade is actually a sham or a fake. At least, the one that was featured in Days.

Roxas and Sora both wielded Sora's keyblade at the same time, but the keyblade that Xion was using in Days was NOT Sora's own. Since that keyblade was Riku's own originally, he could tell if it was the real one or not. This is also proven when Riku is fighting Roxas at Memory's Skyscraper. Riku is expecting Roxas to pull out a fake one like Xion's and is caught off guard when he uses the real one, which prompts him to question Roxas as to why he has the keyblade - which leads him to realize (or confirm) that Roxas is Sora's nobody. The strength levels between Roxas/Xion during Days was just Xion absorbing too many of Sora's memories.

But your point about Roxas being able to use Sora's own simultaneously, perhaps Xion's own WAS fake in KH3 while with the Organization. When she got back her memories (and heart), the fake was no longer used and she just used Sora's keyblade simultaneously. I would assume Roxas was also doing this with Sora and Ven's keyblades. OR Roxas and Xion just got real keyblades when they became real people.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I think the issue is why did they introduce the idea when the fakes do the same thing as the real one? What’s more ironic is that we’ve seen authentic Keyblades break.

Then in Kingdom Hearts 3/Remind we see Xion using her sham to hold back Kingdom Hearts alongside the others. The distinction is meaningless when it comes to their abilities. Personally it makes sense with the world building, after all Keyblades are man made. Replicas are just another variant of that weapon.

okhi12

Awards
Xion's keyblade is actually a sham or a fake. At least, the one that was featured in Days.

Roxas and Sora both wielded Sora's keyblade at the same time, but the keyblade that Xion was using in Days was NOT Sora's own. Since that keyblade was Riku's own originally, he could tell if it was the real one or not. This is also proven when Riku is fighting Roxas at Memory's Skyscraper. Riku is expecting Roxas to pull out a fake one like Xion's and is caught off guard when he uses the real one, which prompts him to question Roxas as to why he has the keyblade - which leads him to realize (or confirm) that Roxas is Sora's nobody.
You're right. Apparently there is an interview in which Nomura talks about the Riku vs Roxas fight and he says Riku expected Roxas' keyblade to be an imitation like Xion's. I haven't found the source or the full interview, only some quotes, but I'm pretty sure it is authentic.

Now I think Xion still wielded a sham keyblade in KH3 while she was under the organization's control as she was a pawn with no will of her own, but maybe she got a real keyblade once she recovered her heart and became herself again. Kinda like how Riku's Soul Eater was an intermediary for the Way to Dawn keyblade, Xion's fake keyblade could have been an intermediary for a real one. There's not a single proof of this, but it makes sense to me and it will be my headcanon until proven otherwise.

She became her own person, with her own heart and personality. Apparently she does not need to syphon someone else's power anymore. It wouldn't make sense for her keyblade to be a sham anymore if she is as real as a person as Roxas and Naminé are in their replica bodies.
OR Roxas and Xion just got real keyblades when they became real people.
Most likely. According to the Director's Secret Report XIII interview there are as many keyblades as people with qualified hearts. They're not parts of Sora anymore, and they're worthy enough to have their own.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The "sham" comment isn't going to age well. Data Sora also had a "replica" Keyblade and it actually broke but returned to him much to Mickey's surprise as he stated it had no substance beforehand. Before KH3 I assumed Xion's Keyblade only had the ability to slay Heartless and send them to Kingdom Hearts, but couldn't do more then that, after all it's all Xemnas needs her to do.

Her Keyblade should still be made of data/memories or whatever, but is tied to her heart making it as real as she is. I assume Roxas's two Keyblades are also made of data. It would be interesting if they ever address this in a future KH game. Since Keyblade lore is now a thing they might bring up Xion's Keyblade. But regardless it's currently no different from the other Guardians of Light Keyblades right now.

I still laugh that the sham Keyblade never broke but three real ones did, two of them belonging to masters. A win for the sham XD

okhi12

Awards
The "sham" comment isn't going to age well. Data Sora also had a "replica" Keyblade and it actually broke but returned to him much to Mickey's surprise as he stated it had no substance beforehand. Before KH3 I assumed Xion's Keyblade only had the ability to slay Heartless and send them to Kingdom Hearts, but couldn't do more then that, after all it's all Xemnas needs her to do.

Her Keyblade should still be made of data/memories or whatever, but is tied to her heart making it as real as she is. I assume Roxas's two Keyblades are also made of data. It would be interesting if they ever address this in a future KH game. Since Keyblade lore is now a thing they might bring up Xion's Keyblade. But regardless it's currently no different from the other Guardians of Light Keyblades right now.

I still laugh that the sham Keyblade never broke but three real ones did, two of them belonging to masters. A win for the sham XD
The sham puts the others to sham-e.
Someone had to say it.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Hmm, I guess the question would now turn into: WHEN did Xion become "real"? I feel like she crossed the threshold of being a puppet to a real person (heart) when she made the choice for Roxas to kill her. I think making a choice about her existence and actually caring/being aware of existence and choosing to give it up is what made her heart actually grow - kind of like how real Nobodies regrow their hearts, only if that heart is longing for emotion. By the time she became "real" in Days, she wasn't using the keyblade so it didn't matter. Then when she returned in KH3, she wasn't whole as her actual heart was in Sora, hence another sham keyblade. But when she regained her heart in KH3, she got an actual keyblade.

Another question now is whether Queen Xion should get her own keyblade design or keep using Kingdom Key?

okhi12

Awards
Another question now is whether Queen Xion should get her own keyblade design or keep using Kingdom Key?
I'd say that's quite fitting.
Some months ago I was wondering the same thing and trying to imagine how would her keyblade look if she was given her own design.
I thought its keychain should be a seashell because it's the only item I can associate Xion with and default keyblades are often thematically related to the character they belong to. Then I realized the Atlantica keyblades (Crabclaw and Mysterious Abyss) already have seashells as their keychains (and Oathkeeper has Kairi's wayfinder which is made of shells, but that doesn't count). I don't think any of those keyblades fit Xion, but at least they prove that different seashells effectively work as different keychains and she could have one that's unique to her.
Maybe a Twilight Town themed keyblade would be appropiate for her. With how iconic the clock tower at the station is, I'm surprised there isn't a keyblade with some details resembling the tower.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'd say that's quite fitting.
Some months ago I was wondering the same thing and trying to imagine how would her keyblade look if she was given her own design.
I thought its keychain should be a seashell because it's the only item I can associate Xion with and default keyblades are often thematically related to the character they belong to. Then I realized the Atlantica keyblades (Crabclaw and Mysterious Abyss) already have seashells as their keychains (and Oathkeeper has Kairi's wayfinder which is made of shells, but that doesn't count). I don't think any of those keyblades fit Xion, but at least they prove that different seashells effectively work as different keychains and she could have one that's unique to her.
Maybe a Twilight Town themed keyblade would be appropiate for her. With how iconic the clock tower at the station is, I'm surprised there isn't a keyblade with some details resembling the tower.
Maybe like a black and white seashell with the blade itself resembling Twilight Town?

Or maybe a redesign of this:
tumblr_oqigxvKgrk1t234ouo1_1280.jpg

Noivern

Awards

And then we got Re:Coded and UX going deep into the whole "Data can be just a form of memories" and "memories are part of someone's heart" so, really, I don't think we can really get any answers that would satisfy us about this because it's pretty clear that whatever concept Nomura was building up back during Days ended up in a completely different direction as the games went by.

358/2 Days is probably the most dated of the older games when we take into consideration how the franchise evolved with time. The whole deal with Xion and Replicas, how Keyblades worked in that game, the whole deal between Roxas and Sora looking like twins to everyone which is never really talked about again outside of that game and KH2, among other things.

Really hoping it gets a proper remake sometime around this gen because that story really deserves to be retold properly with more up-to-date characterization. lol

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
358/2 Days is probably the most dated of the older games when we take into consideration how the franchise evolved with time. The whole deal with Xion and Replicas, how Keyblades worked in that game, the whole deal between Roxas and Sora looking like twins to everyone which is never really talked about again outside of that game and KH2, among other things.

Kingdom Hearts 1 sweating the corner as it gets recontextualized after literally every entry just so it can still fit in the narrative.

Noivern

Awards
Kingdom Hearts 1 sweating the corner as it gets recontextualized after literally every entry just so it can still fit in the narrative.
I don't think KH1 got as bad as Days, honestly. KH1 is an old game so it's natural that as time passes, stuff is recontextualized and expanded upon. 358/2 Days, however, came out roughly 10 years later when KH had already started the process into becoming the convoluted franchise we know today and Nomura and Co. were already expanding the lore like crazy.

The game had a lot of planning put into it and it was meant to contextualize a lot of stuff we did not know enough about along with BBS, but it did not age well. And sadly, I'm not even refeering to the gameplay part.. Hopefully by the time they decide to remake this game we'll already have another entry in the franchise going into detail about Subject X so they could go into a lot of detail about that, as well as expanding the agenda for every other Org member with info we got later.

Like, say, Marluxia and Larxene and how they were recruited, maybe tying things properly with UX. Or, you know, giving more context clues regarding Luxord and Demyx.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Any game that came before BBS can be considered dated in some sense. There are a lot of quotes in the original DS game of Days that no longer fit the current KH status. But it's not that much more dated then KH1, KH2, and CoM. If a miracle happened and Days got a proper remake I can see several quotes being changed to fit in line with today's KH direction.

On the topic of Xion getting a new Keyblade, personally if she did I would want it that her "sham" Keyblade simply evolved into a new one rather then just getting a new one outta nowhere like Riku did. Xion is one of the few characters who actually had a storyline with her Keyblade and to lose it would be like losing a part of her story which would be a disservice to her.

A Twilight Town Keyblade would be awesome, but to be honest I always kind of wanted that to be Roxas's new default weapon to represent him. The two that come to mind for Xion would either be seashells or sea salt ice cream.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Any game that came before BBS can be considered dated in some sense. There are a lot of quotes in the original DS game of Days that no longer fit the current KH status. But it's not that much more dated then KH1, KH2, and CoM. If a miracle happened and Days got a proper remake I can see several quotes being changed to fit in line with today's KH direction.

On the topic of Xion getting a new Keyblade, personally if she did I would want it that her "sham" Keyblade simply evolved into a new one rather then just getting a new one outta nowhere like Riku did. Xion is one of the few characters who actually had a storyline with her Keyblade and to lose it would be like losing a part of her story which would be a disservice to her.

A Twilight Town Keyblade would be awesome, but to be honest I always kind of wanted that to be Roxas's new default weapon to represent him. The two that come to mind for Xion would either be seashells or sea salt ice cream.
Since I think Sora may never use Oblivion/Oathkeeper ever again (it had to be DLC in ReMIND), those amazing designs shouldn't go to waste. I think Roxas using those two as his keyblades would be fine.

How would we ever really get to know if Xion's keyblade was the sham that evolved into a real one? I mean, it would be interesting if her keyblade "became real" like she did. But I just don't know how a conversation explaining that will ever come up in the series.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Love the idea of Xion getting a keyblade with a unique look, maybe a riff on the one she used when Xemnas surged her up with those devices. Honestly a future game where we could use drive to become one of her scary armored forms would be tight.

Seasaltrio

Awards
I may be wrong, but part of what I got from the end of 358/2 days, especially the novel, was that Xion's keyblade as well as her power, created the oblivion keyblade for Roxas when she died. So, maybe she got a newer, stronger keyblade, but her old one was I guess, upgraded in a way, as the Oblivion keyblade.

Seasaltrio

Awards
Love the idea of Xion getting a keyblade with a unique look, maybe a riff on the one she used when Xemnas surged her up with those devices. Honestly a future game where we could use drive to become one of her scary armored forms would be tight.
That would be totally amazing, but also a little too OP.

Back