• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Question about ethernet cables

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
It's become pretty apparent to me that the internet connection I get from my PS4 is unreliable and inconsistent at best, and nonexistent at worst. The problem is, the PS4 is on one side of the house, and the router is on the other side, plus on a lower floor and in a friggin garage to boot. Neither can be moved any closer to eachother because the router is built into the wall or... something. Bah, who cares why, the point is, the signal is terrible and pretty much useless.

Now I know ethernet cables are used as an alternative to wireless internet, but from what I can tell, it requires the ethernet cable to be directly connected to the router itself. Seeing as the two are already located so far away (which is causing the issue to start with), that's obviously not an option.

So. Here's the question: is it possible to connect the ethernet cable into something other than the router itself, and have it connect to the internet? If so, what can it be connected to?

(sorry if this question has a very obvious answer. I'll freely admit that I'm pretty tech-stupid.)

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
You can buy something called a repeater. It basically strengthens the wifi signal whereever you place it. Many of them also can be connected to the console with a cable. I'm not entirely sure about what kind of repeater goes with which router, but usually they can give you the right one in an electronics shop if you tell them what you need it for and what kind of router you have.

Spem

Awards
So. Here's the question: is it possible to connect the ethernet cable into something other than the router itself, and have it connect to the internet? If so, what can it be connected to?
As Chuman said, you can use the ethernet cable to connect the router with the PS4. This is probably going to resolve your problem.

But yeah, you can connect the ethernet cable in other things than the router, but this way you probably would not be able to acess the internet on the PS4.

D

Deleted member 36435

okay first let me clear up how the fuck an internet connection actually works

you have a modem which connects to your cable line and receives internet
this is where your magical internet comes from
your router is plugged into this to make your internet ~wireless~
many cables companies will make this all-in-one, however, it can be used as a modem only if you set it up, and you're also free to plug in your own wireless router into it, which is often a much better option than the default
so depending on how it's set up, you have about a billion options to get internet into your playstation.
and it's likely not built into the wall, and if it is, you could easily set up a better router to cover the distance

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
You can buy something called a repeater. It basically strengthens the wifi signal whereever you place it. Many of them also can be connected to the console with a cable. I'm not entirely sure about what kind of repeater goes with which router, but usually they can give you the right one in an electronics shop if you tell them what you need it for and what kind of router you have.

I've heard about this solution before, though my dad shot the option down last time we were considering it. Asking around and getting some info could probably help with convining him though. Thanks.

Huh, haven't heard of these before, but I'll check out the options. Thanks again.
Nope, you need to connect the system to the router directly. So, I have the idiot's solution! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fosmon-1...50019&wl11=online&wl12=41534038&wl13=&veh=sem

100 ft Ethernet cable for $15.
I think I'm gonna need a heck of a lot more than 100 ft to get it through 2 rooms, a hallway, down the stairs, through a kitchen, and around a car, unfortunately. :I
okay first let me clear up how the diddly an internet connection actually works

you have a modem which connects to your cable line and receives internet
this is where your magical internet comes from
your router is plugged into this to make your internet ~wireless~
many cables companies will make this all-in-one, however, it can be used as a modem only if you set it up, and you're also free to plug in your own wireless router into it, which is often a much better option than the default
so depending on how it's set up, you have about a billion options to get internet into your playstation.
and it's likely not built into the wall, and if it is, you could easily set up a better router to cover the distance
Yeah the modem's built into the actual freaking wall, in a garage of all things. We've already gone through several different routers, but the combination of distance and too many walls seems to pretty much cripple the signal.

D

Deleted member 36435

If possible send a picture of the modem set up, you could cable the router into the house from the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back