• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Quick question regarding slopes (algebraically)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
One of the problems in my book asks me to use the given information to make an equation using the y=mx+b formula. I've been told that the line is horizontal, and that it passes through the origin (0,0). Considering horizontal lines have a slope of 0, and the y intercept is 0, my equation would be y=0x+0, or y=0. Am I correct, or did I screw up somewhere?

C

Colours

Yeah, but it's the standard formula.
y=mx+b Then just plug in your numbers.
Example:
3=2x+6

M is the midpoint slope.

Do distributive property.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
I would think that it would be directly y=0, but it seems something would be missing there... O wait, yeah, that seems right

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Yeah, but it's the standard formula.
y=mx+b Then just plug in your numbers.
Example:
3=2x+6

M is the midpoint slope.

Do distributive property.

Yeah. in this equation

y=3
m=2
b=6

C

Colours

If you still have problems with Algebra, I'll be here, for more
assistant.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
With me, it has to do with the fact that I moved around in public schools quite a bit in the year I was introduced to Algebra, so I never got a strong foundation.
Every teacher tought me something different, and I had swimming methods and a watery-base around Algebra since the beginning x___x

I have a tutor now but meh I still suck, lol.

Awards
I find Algebra to be the funnest part of math. I don't know why, but I find it so intellectually satisfying to figure out a system by figuring out what one variable is, than using that to solve the second solution. Maybe it has to do with the whole "YAY USE YOUR BRAINS KID TO DO THIS FUN SUBSTITUTION YAY CREATIVITY." thing.

very differentiable
Awards
Count me in to help you if you've got more questions, finally something i can really help with.

Princess of KH

ugh...algebra. i'm in algebra 2 right now, & i'm not doing so hot. why can't it be easier?! i'm only 15 & i can't do algebra 2 w/out asking 10 questions about the homework assignment i get each night!
i just thought i'd let you know that someone else out there is prety much horrible at all math. i feel your pain.

Joy

Bronze Member
Math is fun.

Being able to graph and understand (2x^3-7)/(3x^2+6) is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
If it was a hobby, I would be able to challenge myself and get some sort of satisfaction from understanding new material. But, in an actual class, I'm always so worried about everything, that when I finally do get that break, I just consider that it's about to get a lot harder. The pressure ruins any potential fun I could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back