• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Recent Study Shows that Drug Search Dogs Flip Coin in Deciding

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I remember seeing an article last year in the High Times magazine about how, I don't remember which, an accredited university did a study and tested the drug sniffing dog's accuracy. They reported that more than 50% of the time the dogs were wrong. They also found that the dogs were more reliant upon their handler's signals and gestures more than their actual detecting abilities.

So I was watching Russell Brand's new show on FX and he brought it up because I guess they did this study again in Chicago. They found that 56% of the time the dogs got it wrong and that ~70% of those being searched were Hispanic.

Tribune analysis: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops often wrong - Chicago Tribune

New studies show that drug dogs give false alerts more often than not » Alchemy of the Modern Renaissance || Good Vibes Promotions

Study Concludes Drug Dogs Err 50% of the Time in Making Drug Hits | Murray, KY, Attorneys | Gregory, Easley & Ernstberger

So having been searched, harassed, and falsely accused before this upsets me. I find it to be rather problematic and unjust. This is not to say that we should not use our canine companions to aid us in such things, but that this in specific is a slap in the face to our search and seizure rights. Now, in the articles you will see that some of these dogs are highly sensitive and that they can detect even residue, which in some instances may be the reason as to why the dog indicates a hit. However, it is has been made known before that there have been instances where drug dogs and their handlers have not been certified, yet they get called in to do jobs. Numerous experts have made comments on how both the dogs and the handlers need more training and practicing but have failed to do so over the years.

So what does the KHI people think about this? Is this a big deal or a minute one? Should this be allowed to continue? On a bigger scale, what does this say about the professionalism and decency of law enforcement? Any and all thoughts relating to this are welcome.

Last edited:

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I remember in high school we use to have random dog searches. The dog just happened to check out this guy's locker, it had no drugs, but a gun was in there. Kid ended up getting expelled. What luck, huh?

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Well, my sister was unjustly accused of using drugs from one of the dog searches at our school. She would never use drugs and it upset her that they went after her for it. The school didn't even ask her if she did drugs; they just flat out said, "Do you need help with your drug problem?", assuming that she did them.
Other people at my school that I know very personally have been unjustly accused, as well, all because of the drug dogs. IDK if all the drug dogs get it wrong often, but it seems like they do.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I remember my sophomore year, last 2 days of school they did a drug search in the parking lot. 3 seniors got busted, they couldn't graduate. That kind of pissed me off, given you basically just screwed up their future in the last 2 days they had. I mean, yeah, sure, it was illegal, but that's kind of a shitty way to go about it, being their last days and all.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I remember my sophomore year, last 2 days of school they did a drug search in the parking lot. 3 seniors got busted, they couldn't graduate. That kind of pissed me off, given you basically just screwed up their future in the last 2 days they had. I mean, yeah, sure, it was illegal, but that's kind of a shitty way to go about it, being their last days and all.

This. You shouldn't take risks like that period. Especially your senior year. I agree with the drug dogs simply becasue in a smaller school, they actually can get it right. So many druggies, known ones, have been caught because of them.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Yeah. It was pretty much their fault, I still feel it was a wrong time to do it, but that's probably my attachment to the people talking.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Probably, but I definitely see why you think so. It is a really crappy time, but if you are looking to bust some known users that is probably the best time

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I don't see how they could not let them graduate, unless they were expelled for it. They shouldn't have brought anything to the school and everyone knows that, but to not allow them to graduate is kupoed up. Not only are they getting fined and in trouble with the police but that really is kind of ruthless to deny them their diploma being as how they paid for it and earned it. They should have just been arrested and fined since suspension is not an option if there is no more school, but expulsion on the last day is merciless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back