• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Regarding Kairi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ech0.7

*Contains spoilers*

...though I'm sure to most it's common knowledge by now that Kairi's going to be trained to use a Kebylade properly. Anywho, I was thinking about that recent secret ending and that in turn led me to think about Kairi in general. If she's to take up a Keyblade, then I hope desperately that she becomes playable in some fashion and has a nice arsenal light-based attacks. I remember discussing in another topic that, just like Roxas, Namine should in theory be able to use a Keyblade as well. Do you think that once Kairi takes up training that Namine will make an appearance? She's in Kairi's heart just as much as Roxas is in Sora's after all, right? It'd be nice if she showed up again regardless, Keyblade-wielder or otherwise.

Mr Yippie

Light-based attacks like Faith and Salvation for Kairi seem rather tired, and are much more Sora's schtick at this point

I hope that she's a heavy hitter like Terra (both have earth themes, Kairi wields the blade like a club) and uses nature/ground attacks to spice things up instead of a mage (that's more Riku's thing imo, he even has Aqua's barrier/cartwheel)

Sora has a lot of attacks in common with Ven (whoa!!!!!)
Riku uses dark attacks, but has a lot more in common with Aqua

so have Kairi be the big slugger, that would be fun

Ech0.7

Light-based attacks like Faith and Salvation for Kairi seem rather tired, and are much more Sora's schtick at this point

I hope that she's a heavy hitter like Terra (both have earth themes, Kairi wields the blade like a club) and uses nature/ground attacks to spice things up instead of a mage (that's more Riku's thing imo, he even has Aqua's barrier/cartwheel)

Sora has a lot of attacks in common with Ven (whoa!!!!!)
Riku uses dark attacks, but has a lot more in common with Aqua

so have Kairi be the big slugger, that would be fun

I was thinking more in the way of projectile attacks. Honestly ever since King Mickey had Pearl in KH2, I've wanted to get my hands on that spell without y'know....dying. And as tired as the idea is, she's a Princess of Heart. Pure light. It would be kind of weird if she didn't have any light-based attacks. It would be interesting if she played more like Terra though.

Mr Yippie

terra is a dark brute, aqua is a light mage

riku is a dark mage, kairi is a light brute

kaching

i mean i KNOW the chances that she's gonna be Pearl spam 2.0 are really high, but a man can dream

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You really can't base what Kairi's attack pattern will be like from one short inexperienced fight.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm just wondering how one could play through KH3D and not notice the similarities in battle between Riku and Terra asides from Riku and Aqua.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Almost all the protagonists have been playable thus far at one point or another so even with Kairi, especially since she's beginning her training, I'd be more surprised if we never play as her, even once for a short while. I don't know about her being a "brute" (it'd more funny than any thing) but I like Mr Yippie's idea. Kairi's a PoH so we all expect her to have many light based attacks or even be a (white)mage but because she's coming in dead last there's only so much they can do with her to make her unique as a wielder. I like the idea of make her "earthy", not strictly in the same way as Terra, but perhaps more related to flowers/plants. She's always had a sort of flower/plant motif and they can play it up along with her light based powers and have her style represent natural beauty and the prosperity of light and all that girly stuff.

And then Marluxia will sue.

Theoretically speaking it's possible that Namine can wield but I'd prefer if she didn't tbh. I like having at least one character that's integral without being a go go get 'em mighty Keyblade brandishing warrior of light. Let Namine keep the memory witch/spiritual guide thing she has going on.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
@Ech0.7 Somehow I'm now thinking of Hey Arnold, when Helga was playing baseball with everyone, and just hit the ball with the side of the bat, and let it fall on the ground... I could see Kairi fighting like that. LOL.

But in all seriousness, Kairi definitely has to have Light powers, that much is a given. But I've always imagined her as a defense type. I mean, obviously she'll be fighting (and I really want her to), but we don't have many defensive characters, so it could be nice if Kai was. Maybe they could combine the two? Like with Aqua's Fire Cartwheel and Ven's Faith attack. (I think it was Faith, anyway. I get two of Ven's moves confused. You know, the one attack where you heal during it?) I think that would suit Kairi. I suppose she could also be a Sabatour, but that's something I see more of Naminé being should she ever fight.

And on the subject of Naminé, I don't want her to become a fighter right away. Honestly, Naminé has never shown much of a drive to fight, in my opinion. A little bit, maybe, but it's not like Kairi who's always voicing her desire, and has done a bit of fighting. Naminé's a bit more timid than that. I'm sure she'll do some fighting eventually, but I don't want it in KHIII. Especially since Naminé's already stolen a lot of Kairi's thunder before, and I don't want her to in this game. Let Kairi finally have some screentime all to herself. Naminé can have more times to shine later, but I think it would be a tad ridiculous if when Kairi learned to fight, Naminé was suddenly amazing, too. We've had to wait long enough to see Kairi battle, we can wait for Nami, too. If not... Well, I can see a lot of the Kairi haters and/or Naminé lovers having a field day with that, but these are just my two cents. :)

Edit: Also, Ruran, I completely agree with you, and have said that before myself. I hope if Nami ever fights, it's through her memory powers. There's a lot they could do with that, and I hope they just don't just sell out like they did with Axel. Plus, a lot of people have a hard time seperating Kairi and Naminé, and having Kairi the only wielder of the two would be a way. We already have two "Kairi's" as Keyblade wielders (three, if you see Aqua as a "Kairi"). We don't need another one, in my opinion. Plus, atm, I really don't think Naminé has a strong enough heart, or desire, to have a Keyblade, but that could change...

Last edited:

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
So I am thinking she would have a mix between Sora, Ven and Aqua's style. She would be fast, hit hard, and would do magic quite well. Granted due to being new at wielding a Keyblade she would be able to take to many hits. In a sense she could be hard mood as a play style.

Also if Namine is in the mix, she could have Sai's style of fighting. She could use her drawings or pictures to help fight with her by a case of magic. Yen-Sid or Mickey could hook her up with paint brush, and give some nods to Epic Mickey....just saying.. Granted I don't think Namine's that much of a fighter. Maybe would be like support for Kairi like Hope will be in Lighting Returns.

Ruran

Awards
I could never see Kairi as a speedster tbh. We've seen her run a few times and she's always been...kind of sluggish. And awkward. Dear God is her running awkward. If we ever do play as her I hope they change that, other wise I won't be able to stand it.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I could never see Kairi as a speedster tbh. We've seen her run a few times and she's always been...kind of sluggish. And awkward. Dear God is her running awkward. If we ever do play as her I hope they change that, other wise I won't be able to stand it.

Hopefully her training will help with that, and whatnot. Granted, she might have been letting Sora and Riku destroy her during the beginning of KHI (as she knew of their rivalry), but... it still doesn't look good. Hopefully that'll change, as you'd think she'd be faster. Hopefully she's at least better than Terra. Maybe that's another thing pointing to her fighting like him. JK. JK.

Also, how do we feel about Kairi fighting similar to Xion (and Roxas and Sora, I guess)? Granted, Xion was meant to be a clone of Sora, but she ended up being very Kairi-esque. I'm not sure if that transferred to how she fought, but you never know.

Anyway, I think I agree with Lanydx reborn: I could see her having bits of Sora, Ven, and Aqua's style (maybe even Riku's, if she's seen him fight enough and/or is being trained by him). Actually, who Kairi is trained by might end up affecting her abilities a lot...

Ruran

Awards
Hopefully her training will help with that, and whatnot. Granted, she might have been letting Sora and Riku destroy her during the beginning of KHI (as she knew of their rivalry), but... it still doesn't look good. Hopefully that'll change, as you'd think she'd be faster. Hopefully she's at least better than Terra. Maybe that's another thing pointing to her fighting like him. JK. JK.

Also, how do we feel about Kairi fighting similar to Xion (and Roxas and Sora, I guess)? Granted, Xion was meant to be a clone of Sora, but she ended up being very Kairi-esque. I'm not sure if that transferred to how she fought, but you never know.

Anyway, I think I agree with Lanydx reborn: I could see her having bits of Sora, Ven, and Aqua's style (maybe even Riku's, if she's seen him fight enough and/or is being trained by him). Actually, who Kairi is trained by might end up affecting her abilities a lot...

I think she'll be faster than Terra but not a notable "speedster". Maybe moderately like Sora, Roxas, Xion, Aqua, etc, all the characters that aren't particularly slow nor fast. I don't think Kairi "letting" Sora and Riku was the case though, lol. She was never really athletic in particular opting to take inventory and do arts and crafts while all her friends enjoyed them selves by beating the snot out of each other. Plus the other times.

I have a hard time imagining Kairi as a fighter period tbh. The only thing that comes to mind is proficiency in magic but as far the physical aspect goes she's never really been shown to be prominent in anything in particular. Xion fights almost exactly the same way that Sora did and I all ready find that kind of boring, granted it makes sense in Xion's case. Sephiroth has mentioned a few times the possibility of Kairi having a fencer like style which I'm okay with since it hasn't been done yet and I think it suits her well enough.

The thing with Kairi is that there are many wielders already who have their own style or have one based on another characters because plot, so she doesn't have many options left. If they can fit something in that isn't "like" another characters I think they should go for it. As for who trains her I actually don't think she'll have one teacher in particular. On top of the master/student thing being somewhat of a generational thing they're at a period where assigning one teacher is frivolous. I think Riku, Mickey, and Yen Sid, will teach her all at once with maybe the aid of Donald and Goofy.

Ech0.7

You guys are right about Namine, it would suit her to just remain moral support. I was still curious about her potential to wield, so that's why I asked.

Sephiroth has mentioned a few times the possibility of Kairi having a fencer like style which I'm okay with since it hasn't been done yet and I think it suits her well enough.
A fencer style eh? I could see that. Of course anythings better than the first time she swung a Keyblade....and yet she managed to take out that Shadow with just one swing. Not bad... Hax.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I tried to imagine namine wielding a keyblade and taking on the 13 seekers of darkness. Couldnt do it. As ech0 7 stated above me, i think its best if namine remains a character for moral support. A warrior just really isnt in her nature.

InfernusIgnitus

I'm just wondering how one could play through KH3D and not notice the similarities in battle between Riku and Terra asides from Riku and Aqua.

I know, right? I havent even played it and just from BBS and KH2 i can see the similarities. Itll inevitably be riku being similar to terra, kairi being similar to aqua, and sora being similar to ven, since they all did the ritual ceremonies to them accordingly. I also predict the original three and the new three coming together with mickey and lea since mickey counted those three in 3D as three lights that WILL inevitably fight the darknesses. That shows that ven, terra, and aqua will inevitably become normal again and join together with sora, riku, kairi, mickey, and lea. That leaves... How many lights? 5?

EDIT: according to the wiki its 7, so that means one of them will have to not make an appearance again (probably terra)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Kairi would however make much more sense as a speedster than as a brute though. Sora already has shades of this with his emphasis on two-handed strikes despite his slender build and it looks sometimes ridiculous. Kairi has a an even more slender, fragile build than Sora (and I'd argue even more than Ventus, who is certainly the most skinny and "lightweight" character out of the Keyblade Wielders so far due to him literally being a speedster).
People actually suited for "brute" style, which requires a lot of physical power, beside Terra would actually be only Riku, Vanitas and Lea. The first two of those however have a style more akin to a Paladin (Riku) or a Dark Knight/Blood Knight (Vanitas).
Lea is an interesting case but I doubt he'll adopt a brutish "Terra-esque"-style due to what be saw of him before he got a Keyblade.
For Lea, I can actually see his style being a mix of Ventus' and Riku's, not as speedy as Ventus, but with more powerful hits and not as powerful as Riku, but faster.
And of course much inclusion of fire magic in some form.

Back to Kairi though:
The main issue with Kairi is to give her a style that while it can be a mix of different styles already known, it should not be too similar in the end to either Aqua (magic reliance or "feminity") or Ventus (speed, light reliance).
I've even once thought about giving her a mostly "block-and-counter"-style like Exdeath has in Dissidia, only with even more magic and less Keyblade slashing involved and better speed than the old sluggish tree from Dissidia.
A nice additional spin on the issue might if she can even block and counter attacks made against her allies in certain circumstances, although that may destroy game balance if she's a party member I fear.

You guys are right about Namine, it would suit her to just remain moral support. I was still curious about her potential to wield, so that's why I asked.

A fencer style eh? I could see that. Of course anythings better than the first time she swung a Keyblade....and yet she managed to take out that Shadow with just one swing. Not bad... Hax.

Like said, in theory Naminé should be able to just like Roxas, but in theory each capable heart in the universe can get a Keyblade as well and despite some people saying it's uniqueness has been lost (when there were already several Keyblade Wielders even in KH 1) the Keyblade is still pretty rare when looking at the whole KH Universe. Maybe 1:100.000 people might have one.

I had that idea somewhere last year when rewatching Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones and read the corresponding novel to it where they describe Count Dooku's fighting style in more detail.
I thought it'll fit Kairi since such a battle style has a certain vibe of elegance and "class", fitting to her status, it doesn't take so much stamina (because you make only very precise and effective movements) which Kairi apparently lacks a bit and we haven't got one with that style yet.

One might argue Pete and the Beagle Boys in Country of the Musketeers, but these aren't really main characters or Keyblade Wielders.

I tried to imagine namine wielding a keyblade and taking on the 13 seekers of darkness. Couldnt do it. As ech0 7 stated above me, i think its best if namine remains a character for moral support. A warrior just really isnt in her nature.

Naminé certainly isn't a fighting type, never has been. I dare even to say that out of the major original characters, she's the most fragile both physically and by nature. I've always imagined her more like a character who'll stay at the main base and provides mission control and information to the others out in the field, like Yen Sid does.

That said though, I once found a fanart with description of Naminé (where she was wearing a silver-colored "black" coat) and fought with an literal "chain of memories" from afar, disarming her opponents with the chain and somehow freezing their weapons in order to stop the battle instead of actually hurting them.

EDIT: according to the wiki its 7, so that means one of them will have to not make an appearance again (probably terra)

You don't need to be one of the seven shards of the X-blade in order to participate in the final battle or to reappear again.
We have five people already available: Sora, Riku, Mickey, Kairi and Lea.
Seven more people are slated to be rescued by Sora: Aqua, Terra, Ventus, Xion, Naminé, Roxas and Ansem the Wise.

While not everyone may participate in the final battle (or being one of the seven lights) it doesn't say anything about their reappearance.
In fact, Terra is right now trapped on the side of the 13 darknesses so either Lea, Kairi or Roxas will have to fill in for him at least for the time being.

Oh, and I almost forgot them, but Donald and Goofy will most likely also still play a role in the finale.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
To be honest, I noted a sort of combination between the BBS trio's abilities in DDD, among Sora and Riku.
Sora played like a mixture of Terra and Ven, just in terms of regular combat, moreso lending himself to Ven.
Riku played like a mixture of Aqua and Terra, in mobility and moveset. (cartwheels)
Kairi will most likely, if following this pattern, play like Ven and Aqua combined.

Ruran

Awards
Kairi would however make much more sense as a speedster than as a brute though. Sora already has shades of this with his emphasis on two-handed strikes despite his slender build and it looks sometimes ridiculous. Kairi has a an even more slender, fragile build than Sora (and I'd argue even more than Ventus, who is certainly the most skinny and "lightweight" character out of the Keyblade Wielders so far due to him literally being a speedster).
People actually suited for "brute" style, which requires a lot of physical power, beside Terra would actually be only Riku, Vanitas and Lea. The first two of those however have a style more akin to a Paladin (Riku) or a Dark Knight/Blood Knight (Vanitas).
Lea is an interesting case but I doubt he'll adopt a brutish "Terra-esque"-style due to what be saw of him before he got a Keyblade.
For Lea, I can actually see his style being a mix of Ventus' and Riku's, not as speedy as Ventus, but with more powerful hits and not as powerful as Riku, but faster.
And of course much inclusion of fire magic in some form.

Back to Kairi though:
The main issue with Kairi is to give her a style that while it can be a mix of different styles already known, it should not be too similar in the end to either Aqua (magic reliance or "feminity") or Ventus (speed, light reliance).
I've even once thought about giving her a mostly "block-and-counter"-style like Exdeath has in Dissidia, only with even more magic and less Keyblade slashing involved and better speed than the old sluggish tree from Dissidia.
A nice additional spin on the issue might if she can even block and counter attacks made against her allies in certain circumstances, although that may destroy game balance if she's a party member I fear.

*ignore derpy audio*
[video=youtube;duc1Hed3tRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duc1Hed3tRI[/video]

._.

I'm more concerned with how her running animation looks tbh. I know it's not pertinent in the long run but hypothetically speaking, I don't know how I'm supposed to play as her if during the duration she looks like...well that^. I dislike that running animation like you have no idea. It's a boarder line waddle at some points. :T

It only makes sense for Kairi to be a speedster because that attribute is the "best of the worst" so to speak, but speed was never something she was particularly prevalent with. Slender doesn't necessarily equate to speed either because as shown Kairi ate both Sora and Riku's dust during there race and she's the smallest of the three (to be fair though, she probably didn't care about winning as much as Sora and Riku did), and on top of that all the other times she ran she wasn't particularly swift either. And those were times when her life was in danger. I can see where the idea to make her a speedster comes from and don't deny they might go down that path with her, I just can't personally see Kairi being particularly quick. The only thing that backs the idea up is how skinny she is.

Though in general, in a similar vain as Namine, Kairi's a character I just have a hard time imagining as a fighter. The main difference is that Kairi has the will for it and isn't physically as delicate as Namine probably is, but aside from magic, only because it's the least physical, she's just not a character I can see out there kicking ass or with a particular style. I know she will but no matter how many times I try to think about it it just doesn't click in my mind.

Ech0.7

Oh, and I almost forgot them, but Donald and Goofy will most likely also still play a role in the finale.

This. I feel bad for the two of them honestly, they've been side-lined since KH2.

As for Kairi's run...we can only hope that she'll, er, toughen up a little from her training and have a more...I dunno, acceptable jog cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back