• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

ReSET The World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I've been thinking about it for a while and I honestly think that the KH series would do well with a reset of the world. An idea I had is somewhat similar to the "House of M" storyline in MARVEL Comics. Basically, something (maybe a new villain) can cause almost all keyblade wielders to lose their ability to wield. The only ones that will be left with keyblades are: Sora, Aqua, Kairi, and Mickey.

The story I would go with is some villain that saw only the destruction brought to worlds by the keyblade, so they decide to get rid of the keyblade once and for all. Somehow they are able to access a part of Kingdom Hearts that grants the keyblade upon wielders, and they deactivate most wielders. Then he would identify that there are 4 left and try to pick them off one by one. Ultimately, the villain finds a way to STOP any future wielders from being created - thus leaving Sora, Aqua, Kairi and Mickey as the only remaining keyblade wielders.

I think that would help make the keyblade special again, create a storyline that's not the usual "destiny" or Xehanort one, and actually reset the world so that a lot of characters can be written off sensibly. And actually the thing that I would like the most out of this is characters can use other weapons and have different fighting styles.

Chie

Awards
If you're proposing it as something that should really happen in the series and not just a fanfic (in which you can do anything you want), this just doesn't gel with anything Nomura's been setting up or establishing. The reason comic book universes get "fixed" into blank slates for new storytelling opportunities is because they're backdrops for numerous stories by numerous people. KH is not that, it's just one story.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
If you're proposing it as something that should really happen in the series and not just a fanfic (in which you can do anything you want), this just doesn't gel with anything Nomura's been setting up or establishing. The reason comic book universes get "fixed" into blank slates for new storytelling opportunities is because they're backdrops for numerous stories by numerous people. KH is not that, it's just one story.
Yep, that's entirely how the multiverse trope started becoming a staple in comic book stories.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Yeah, but KH would do well with a "blank slate" especially after the Dark Seeker saga being all over the place.

I suppose Quadratum could do that by separating Sora from the over-saturated real universe packed with keyblade wielders. As much as Nomura has made missteps with the series, I think one of his biggest mistakes -if not the biggest - was giving so many characters the keyblade.

Also, my idea to reset wasn't only just to fix the universe, but also for a storyline that would actually make the keyblade relevant again. Sometimes you don't even realize that it's special except for scenes that have them pointing in the air at something. They call the war a "Keyblade War" but there were only like 10 keyblades present and it wasn't even the focus of the war.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would love something like this to happen. Especially now he's got the whole 13 v. 7 thing out of his system, there's no story need to keep around so many characters with the ability either. They're just excess. I'd prefer it go back to being Mickey and Sora (one from each realm). Perhaps Yozora could have one, too, since he's from another universe.

Chie

Awards
Yeah, but KH would do well with a "blank slate" especially after the Dark Seeker saga being all over the place.
Why...?

Idk, this is the same thing to me as people being surprised or frustrated that UX is relevant to the story. Why would any writer spend years and years building up details and plot threads and then have them not factor in to the next part they write in that story.

Like, I think a lot of people are seeing KH as some kind of marvel movie series where it's going to be about the "Guardians of Light" getting together to fight a new threat to the world each game or something, and so it would be easier to clean up all the surrounding plot to make telling these new stories easier. I can get why KH3 would make you feel that way, but Nomura has spent a considerable amount of time setting up vastly more ambitious themes than that. I do want the status quo shifted so that Yen Sid can't just call 15 dudes into his office (as he would in the marvel movie scenario), but in a way that makes things more complex, not simpler.

As for the keyblade, its purpose in the narrative is clearer to me now than ever before.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Personally, I don't think Nomura is writing towards anything. There are so many things built up before KH3 that he jumped over and/or completely ignored, and plenty of things before that he simply re-wrote whenever he felt like it. With KH at least he writes based on the whim of any given moment, rarely does he follow through on many of his set goalposts.

Chie

Awards
Yeah, serial writing is improvisational and sometimes messy.

At the same time, specific details brought back for III include Lea and Saix getting thrown out of the castle in BBS' credits, or a random single line about the "initial lot" of Replicas in Days' secret reports. Xigbar having a big importance has also been something Nomura's consistently teased, even if fans overlooked that being a "mystery". And so the story continues to encircle itself regardless.

Not that the details matter at all; if Nomura threw away the years and years of Keyblade Society establishment for no reason (something which, I remind readers again, has recontextualized the entire story as the gradual fall of this society until KH1 where the role is forced to fall to a random kid because all the other wielders are dead or gone), whatever he writes after that will also be improvisational and messy, because it's still serial writing.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Face My Fears
I rather scrap Sora and Kairi and keep the others but I'm cool with the high stakes of it.

Kingdom hearts got a bad reputation because of the Xehanort saga. This could be it's fresh start like God of War 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Why...?

Idk, this is the same thing to me as people being surprised or frustrated that UX is relevant to the story. Why would any writer spend years and years building up details and plot threads and then have them not factor in to the next part they write in that story.

Like, I think a lot of people are seeing KH as some kind of marvel movie series where it's going to be about the "Guardians of Light" getting together to fight a new threat to the world each game or something, and so it would be easier to clean up all the surrounding plot to make telling these new stories easier. I can get why KH3 would make you feel that way, but Nomura has spent a considerable amount of time setting up vastly more ambitious themes than that. I do want the status quo shifted so that Yen Sid can't just call 15 dudes into his office (as he would in the marvel movie scenario), but in a way that makes things more complex, not simpler.

As for the keyblade, its purpose in the narrative is clearer to me now than ever before.
I don't see KH as a MARVEL movie. I definitely don't want the Guardians of Light getting together to fight some new threat every game. I would hate that and I don't want that ever again.

I personally want KH to minimize what's going on because there is WAY too much happening with WAY less games to handle all those stories. If the KH series was like the MARVEL Cinematic Universe with TV shows and movies that could cover the huge cast, then Nomura should feel fine creating a million different plotlines.

However, I don't know how Nomura thought it was logical to make KHUX relevant to KH3. It was kind of like the MCU, but done wrong. With that, I mean how every MCU film isn't its own entity and serves to build up to the next movie (at least that's the current gross trend they have). KH3 wasn't allowed to be the Dark Seeker Saga conclusion it should have been. Instead it served as a platform to build up the next saga. I'm not saying that KHUX's storylines should have been dumped in the bin, but they shouldn't have been so involved. Especially when there were things that needed more expansion.

My point is that a reset would do the next saga good as well. Right now, there's all this baggage from the Dark Seeker Saga still unresolved that will be pulled into the Foreteller Saga. This all stems from Nomura not wrapping up the Dark Seeker Saga properly. At this point, the loose ends he should address, nip them in the bud, and move on. Time travel, nobodies, keyblades and a lot of things that were introduced then never really touched when they got too complicated. It will do the next saga a disservice having all of this baggage built up.

D

Deleted member 246005

What exactly do you mean by reset? Do you mean a full reboot, forgetting the past saga happened, or moving onto something entirely new?
Their pitch was moving on to something new. It doesn't seem like a reboot because it's too built on the past.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
What exactly do you mean by reset? Do you mean a full reboot, forgetting the past saga happened, or moving onto something entirely new?
Not forgetting the past saga, but more so wrapping up the past saga properly. By doing that (or while doing that), Nomura could do some "house cleaning" by clearing out some characters and tying up loose ends (like more keyblade details or time travel). That will "reset" the world, as the KH story would become "stable" so that a new storyline can shake that up and create a new plot without the baggage of the unanswered/unresolved past.

Honestly, this all came to me when I would think about the fact that KHUX and KH3 were about the keyblade war and keyblade wielders, but the item in question - the keyblade - has been reduced to just background furniture. I don't really care if everyone has one or not, but at least give more details about it, make it relevant to the story.

Chie

Awards
I'm not saying that KHUX's storylines should have been dumped in the bin, but they shouldn't have been so involved.
Was it???

Some of the secret reports, which are postgame only, are very reliant on it. But the main story??? Everything from the X time period that appeared in KH3 was covered in X Back Cover, which was part of the collection of "things that lead up to kh3", as well as something players would actually be expected to watch like every other full KH work (i.e. not cutscenes of an abusive gacha game). In fact, most of it was only in X Back Cover and not really explained in X/UX at all. Meanwhile Subject X's connection to any of this stuff is not established until the secret reports, and on its own is an answer to a long-unresolved xehanort saga plot point.

Right now, there's all this baggage from the Dark Seeker Saga still unresolved that will be pulled into the Foreteller Saga. This all stems from Nomura not wrapping up the Dark Seeker Saga properly. At this point, the loose ends he should address, nip them in the bud, and move on. Time travel, nobodies, keyblades and a lot of things that were introduced then never really touched when they got too complicated.
I don't get how these are unresolved. What is there to "resolve" about nobodies? They're normal people, this was thoroughly explained. Xehanort explained how he time traveled in the first game it was introduced, and now he's dead. Keyblades... are the central symbol of the entire series so I think "resolving" keyblades would end the series completely.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Or they could just have an alternate universe that is its own canon. No need to do some weird reset thing and have only Sora, Aqua, Kairi, and Mickey (why you chose these four out of everybody else, I do not understand).

An alternate universe with new characters would be the best refresh for the series if you are talking about "resetting" things.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Face My Fears

I'm fond of the Time War from Doctor Who so this is up my alley.

It's a more dramatic opening than what we got with the Xehanort saga so that's another plus.

Killing Sora off would sets the stakes better for a new cast. They got big mouse shoes to fill.

But an older Sora more weathered by these events could also work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow A113

Awards
Or they could just have an alternate universe that is its own canon. No need to do some weird reset thing and have only Sora, Aqua, Kairi, and Mickey (why you chose these four out of everybody else, I do not understand).

An alternate universe with new characters would be the best refresh for the series if you are talking about "resetting" things.
Just out of curiosity, who would you have picked?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just out of curiosity, who would you have picked?
The core original cast. SRK with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

But I’m sure if you asked somebody else they would go with RAX or TAV or any permutation of these grouping.

In the end, this is why I would rather an alternate universe with new characters. There is a lot of emotional connection we all have to various characters, which is why I think Face My Fears chose the four he chose. Or we all have an idea of what KH could or should look like when it comes to these sets of characters.

With a fresh start keeping only the concept of Keyblades, Light, Darkness, and Disney worlds, it allows people to form a new bond with new characters, and avoids arguments about who should or shouldn’t appear.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The core original cast. SRK with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

But I’m sure if you asked somebody else they would go with RAX or TAV or any permutation of these grouping.

In the end, this is why I would rather an alternate universe with new characters. There is a lot of emotional connection we all have to various characters, which is why I think Face My Fears chose the four he chose. Or we all have an idea of what KH could or should look like when it comes to these sets of characters.

With a fresh start keeping only the concept of Keyblades, Light, Darkness, and Disney worlds, it allows people to form a new bond with new characters, and avoids arguments about who should or shouldn’t appear.
I agree. I always thought the Chi stuff was at it's best when it didn't try to tie it back to present day stuff because it had freedom to do whatever it wanted with the established KH lore. It was the closest thing KH had to a new universe. I think this is why I liked Chi more then Union X.

Back