• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Revealing Every KHIII World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I'm just a little confused about people's responses to the news that Nomura is planning to reveal every Disney world before KH3's release.

I've seen so many people say that they're disappointed because they wanted to be surprised when they first visit a new world in KH3. But I mean... every pretty much KH game has revealed what worlds were going to be in them before the game came out. Sure, a couple secret worlds might have slipped the through the cracks of trailers and TV commercials, but for every KH game I've ever played, I had a pretty good idea of what worlds were going to be featured. And knowing before hand didn't ruin my enjoyment of the worlds by any means.

Also, surprise is a pretty hollow form of entertainment if you think about it. Yeah the initial reaction to a good surprise is great, but after that... it's over.

Like let's say they didn't reveal anymore worlds for Kh3 and then when the game (FINALLY!!!!) comes out, you see that Treasure Planet is in the game. You'll most likely say something like... "Oh cool, it's Treasure Planet" and then proceed to play through Treasure Planet the same way as if you knew it was going to be in the game from the beginning. That enjoyment that the surprise gives you is so fleeting that I'd honestly rather be surprised before the game comes out, because then I can get hyped and excited for the game even more.

If there's something I'm not getting about the importance you feel about keeping the Disney worlds a secret please let me know. I'm really curious lol.

Muke

whatever
Awards
It's not just about knowing they are in the game, most people don't even want to see it, simply because they don't want a single glimpse to be spoiled. The looks, the level design, all the areas… they want to explore them on their own.

Like, right now, we know you can run around in Andy's room, go out and fight in the grass, on roofs, etc.… go to the toy shop, yada, yada.
But now imagine experiencing all of that without having seen or known about any of those areas before playing the game. It's not just "Whoaa, Toy Story is in the game!!", it's more "Whoaa, Toy Story is in the game!! I can't wait to see how they designed the world, whether Sora has a new appearance or not, if we'll visit the toy store... I also wonder how Woody and the others look! Can't wait to see all of that and play it!"

In the end, it's the exploration aspect, not just knowing about the world.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nonetheless OP is right that this is nothing new.

Except for the first KH we pretty much knew 9 out of 10 worlds featured in a single KH Title before release already.

For the more casual players and/or those not interested/invested in the main story, the featured (Disney) worlds are a huge selling point so they will use it to generate hype.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean, I don't think this is about legitimizing the feeling of not getting spoiled, right?
I don't really care if it's something the Kh games always did, I actually went almost always blind for every KH installment, so I will definitely stop following news as soon as I get a release date, as Spockanort suggested.
It's okay if other people will instead, for this is merely my personal stance.

Also, surprise is a pretty hollow form of entertainment if you think about it. Yeah the initial reaction to a good surprise is great, but after that... it's over.

Not really.
You're thinking of surprise as something that begins and ends in the span of seconds, but it's a much longer and more complex mechanism.
In a broad sense, "surprise" ends when you don't discover anything new about something.
And that alone is one of the greatest things of the first KH, people still discover secrets and stuff after years of playing, something you'll hardly get from other titles merely because they aren't programmed to have many layers to them.

To me, not knowing a world means increasing exponentially my "surprise" value for the entirety of the time I will explore said world, hence my will of not knowing all worlds from the start.

TelaryCri

Awards
For the more casual players and/or those not interested/invested in the main story, the featured (Disney) worlds are a huge selling point so they will use it to generate hype.

This totally. Like, my brother hasn't played a KH game since 2, and when I did explain the overarching plot of the games he was, shall we say less than impressed/enthusiastic. But we still texted for like an hour about "OMG, Toy Story!" So yeah, the hype of specific Disney worlds is very​ important from my experience.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think it's odd that people are disappointed by it. I knew every world in every game of the series before I played them... It never ruined the experience for me.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
If you don't particular care what Disney films they add going in blind seems a lot easier to do.

If you're hyped for the inclusion of a few particular films..i don't see why you wouldn't want to know beforehand. Just so you aren't disappointed when you actually play the game.

Knowing Wreck It Ralph didn't make it for example by going in blind and finding out by finally playing it would only damper my experience.

At least if i know beforehand i can get over it quickly and go in with a more open mind with what they have instead.

Awards
It's not just about knowing they are in the game, most people don't even want to see it, simply because they don't want a single glimpse to be spoiled. The looks, the level design, all the areas… they want to explore them on their own.

Like, right now, we know you can run around in Andy's room, go out and fight in the grass, on roofs, etc.… go to the toy shop, yada, yada.
But now imagine experiencing all of that without having seen or known about any of those areas before playing the game. It's not just "Whoaa, Toy Story is in the game!!", it's more "Whoaa, Toy Story is in the game!! I can't wait to see how they designed the world, whether Sora has a new appearance or not, if we'll visit the toy store... I also wonder how Woody and the others look! Can't wait to see all of that and play it!"

In the end, it's the exploration aspect, not just knowing about the world.

This is a pretty fair point. I will admit that I think they've shown us a little too much of the Hercules world, and I don't think we needed to see that ENTIRE opening Toy Story cutscene in full length. But I'm sure every world they reveal won't be given a 5 minute trailer like Toy Story or Hercules. Something like the Big Hero 6 poster, or a quick glimpse like the trailer with tangled in it, is probably how they'll show off the other worlds.

Also, they're still making this game, so who knows how much more there might bein the worlds that they can even show right now. We might have only gotten 1/10 of everything the Toy Story World has to offer.

Pou92

This totally. Like, my brother hasn't played a KH game since 2, and when I did explain the overarching plot of the games he was, shall we say less than impressed/enthusiastic. But we still texted for like an hour about "OMG, Toy Story!" So yeah, the hype of specific Disney worlds is very​ important from my experience.

You're all going to kill me, but;

I'm a casual player and i can confirm this.

Awards
Not really.
You're thinking of surprise as something that begins and ends in the span of seconds, but it's a much longer and more complex mechanism.
In a broad sense, "surprise" ends when you don't discover anything new about something.
And that alone is one of the greatest things of the first KH, people still discover secrets and stuff after years of playing, something you'll hardly get from other titles merely because they aren't programmed to have many layers to them.

rereading my post, I definitely didn't explain my the whole surprise concept well enough. I don't think that the use of surprise is an inherently hollow or second rate tool of storytelling/entertainment. Some of the best moments of KH are plot twists, or unexpected fights or character reveals. It's just that to me, the potential surprise of not knowing which Disney worlds will be in the game is MUCH less exciting than actually playing the worlds themselves.

To me, not knowing a world means increasing exponentially my "surprise" value for the entirety of the time I will explore said world, hence my will of not knowing all worlds from the start.

It would be different, if for each world reveal they gave a detailed and thorough description of every room, every character, and every hidden detail of the Disney worlds, because that would kill all sense of worthwhile exploration and discovery. The simple act of revealing what worlds we get to explore, (with maybe a minute or two of gameplay thrown in) doesn't ruin that sense of exploration and the the potential joy of discovery for me. But I am starting to understand your side of argument a little bit more now.... So thanks

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If you don't particular care what Disney films they add going in blind seems a lot easier to do.

If you're hyped for the inclusion of a few particular films..i don't see why you wouldn't want to know beforehand. Just so you aren't disappointed when you actually play the game.

Knowing Wreck It Ralph didn't make it for example by going in blind and finding out by finally playing it would only damper my experience.

At least if i know beforehand i can get over it quickly and go in with a more open mind with what they have instead.

It's funny, somebody else literally told me the same thing, and used Wreck-It Ralph as the same example. I too believe in this, just because a world is spoilt doesn't mean that it will damper my experience. I was spolit to death by Dream Drop Distance, but I enjoyed every moment of playing all the Disney worlds regardless.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Well, I don't mind them revealing the worlds, don't really care about the Disney parts anyway, but I was surprised they're revealing them all because I haven't been following the news before any of the other games after KH2 as closely so I didn't know they've always done it that way. I think it's the same for many others. Most of us were very young during the KH2 era, and many lost interest after that during the dark age of the handhelds. I always played all the games, but didn't really know about them until they released, because it's not like you're going to see a BBS commercial on tv or anything. KH3 I think is the game where most people since KH2 are following the news and announcements again so there will naturally be some surprises.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Most of us were very young during the KH2 era
Stop, it just reminds me of the fact that I was 4 years old and didn't even beat the 1.000 Heartless battle, because I was too stupid. xD

I always played all the games, but didn't really know about them until they released, because it's not like you're going to see a BBS commercial on tv or anything.
(Except for KH1, which I never played as a kid) Same!! I went into MediaMarkt with my mom once, and I saw Re:Coded on a shelf and it was like... "whoa, this is still a thing??". Nostalgia hit me hard, even though I never played KH1.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It's just that if you personally don't feel like losing anything if a world gets spoiled, that doens't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Kind of a basic concept, but after some comments I felt like bringing it up.

Muke

whatever
Awards
It's just that if you personally don't feel like losing anything if a world gets spoiled, that doens't mean it's the same for everyone else.
I was just about to edit my post above a second time and add what you just said. Thanks for doing it instead of me.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
im actually fine with them revealing worlds before the release. it really excites me to see how certain disney movies are portrayed in Kingdom Hearts. so long as the reveals doesn't give away too much of the game's main story, i'm ok with it.

Reiji

Like the majority here, I too am ok with Square revealing the majority of the worlds. It be cool if they just leave 1 or 2 worlds that are not that "mainstream" as a surprise, but if not, then no big deal for me really.

The only thing that I definitely want a confirmation is on how many worlds will there be featured in the game. I just don't want to be at a point in the game where I'm expecting another batch of worlds and then KH3 is all like "lol nope, here's the Keyblade Graveyard! Now go finish the game!".

If it's less worlds than KH2 then fine, whatever. it would be sad, but hey, I rather swallow the bad news and get over it months before the game releases instead of having my expectations all shattered as I'm playing the game I've waited for so long.

horto12485

Awards
im actually fine with them revealing worlds before the release. it really excites me to see how certain disney movies are portrayed in Kingdom Hearts. so long as the reveals doesn't give away too much of the game's main story, i'm ok with it.

Same for me i mean it could work with More Worlds being revealed before the Actual Release of the Game next Year.

wwinterj

Not really. I like being constantly surprised when I play games. Discovering the worlds myself would be nice. Although with that said I've no issue with knowing all the worlds as I'm sure the game will still offer plenty of things to discover and I can understand why they do this as the more worlds people know the more chance it could attract more sales. I could always skip the announcements if I cared that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back