• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's blindfold

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Why didn't Riku beat Roxas the fist time they fought when Riku had the power to do it all along?
Did he know what would happen if he tried the first time or did he just go soft on him?

Riku doesn't act very sure of himself when we see him fighting Roxas - it almost seems as if he has trouble bringing himself to finish the job. He was probably holding back because he was uncomfortable with what he was doing.

WarriorTwilight

Riku actually could have ended the fight when he had the Oblivion, but instead he handed it back to Roxas. Maybe Riku needed XH to finish the job.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Riku doesn't act very sure of himself when we see him fighting Roxas - it almost seems as if he has trouble bringing himself to finish the job. He was probably holding back because he was uncomfortable with what he was doing.

I don't think that's it. With what was at stake, Riku gave it his all - to the point he used the darkness when he lost.
It's much simpler imo to just look back at KH1 - Riku lost to Sora. Mental issues had to do with it this time, no doubt, but the fact remains that even when Riku was confident in fighting Sora, he still lost.
He wouldn't need to hesitate that much in order for Sora's Nobody who seems to be a much better fighter at the time of his fight with Riku than Sora was when he fought Riku in order for Riku to lose.

Kudos to SA for proving that person wrong so many times ;)

:embarassed:

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I don't think that's it. With what was at stake, Riku gave it his all - to the point he used the darkness when he lost.
It's much simpler imo to just look back at KH1 - Riku lost to Sora. Mental issues had to do with it this time, no doubt, but the fact remains that even when Riku was confident in fighting Sora, he still lost.
He wouldn't need to hesitate that much in order for Sora's Nobody who seems to be a much better fighter at the time of his fight with Riku than Sora was when he fought Riku in order for Riku to lose.

Well, yeah, normally that's what I'd think, too, since it's the logical thing for Riku to do, and there's no reason Roxas shouldn't be a better fighter than Riku on his own.

The problem is, what we get to see of the fight really doesn't back that up. Riku, still in his own form, strikes Roxas down with Oblivion - then, instead of doing anything to make sure Roxas doesn't get back up, he sticks the Keyblade in the ground next to the unconscious Roxas, then stands over him until he wakes up and slashes at him with the Keyblade he'd been using. It's just such a dumb move on Riku's part, if he's actually doing everything in his power to win the fight. He could have easily ended it right there - pin Roxas' hands while he's knocked down and weaponless so he can't use Oathkeeper and put Oblivion to his throat, and he's not going to be in a position to fight when he wakes up. (It wouldn't have been particularly elegant, but, then again, the goal is to knock Roxas unconscious and kidnap him, so...)

Not to mention the fact that he doesn't even try to summon Soul Eater to help block Roxas' Keyblades, let alone try to continue the fight that he seemed to have been winning. Or the fact that, even after dropping him for a second time as Ansem, Riku just stands over Roxas again instead of doing something to bring him in.

Which isn't to say that Roxas couldn't have won on his own merits, just that Riku was sufficiently uncomfortable with his goal that he could have failed to take any opportunities to drag Roxas in during the first fight that might have existed.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Riku being dumb and the fight being emotional are unrelated, imo. It's like how Roxas, in the cutscene version of the fight between him and Sora, could've won easily - had he just landed the finishing blow instead of thinking getting his Keyblade away from Sora would render him helpless. Instead, he just stood there to gloat.
Emotions, much like level ups, mean nothing. If you suck at the game, you'll die even at level 99.
Even if your opponent leaves you an opening, you need the skill to take advantage of it. Roxas did, leaving Riku with no choice but to 'cheat' his way into God mode.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Riku being dumb and the fight being emotional are unrelated, imo. It's like how Roxas, in the cutscene version of the fight between him and Sora, could've won easily - had he just landed the finishing blow instead of thinking getting his Keyblade away from Sora would render him helpless. Instead, he just stood there to gloat.
Emotions, much like level ups, mean nothing. If you suck at the game, you'll die even at level 99.
Even if your opponent leaves you an opening, you need the skill to take advantage of it. Roxas did, leaving Riku with no choice but to 'cheat' his way into God mode.

The fight between Roxas and Sora was a test more than anything, so it makes sense that he wouldn't try to finish him. I can't imagine that killing Sora would help Roxas in any way. =P

And while it takes skill to take advantage of an opening in the middle of a fight, you'd have to be pretty inept to fail at taking advantage of your opponent being unconscious. =P

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
1st time = Roxas kicked Riku's ass, thus making Riku resort to using the powers of Darkness.
That brings us to
2nd time = Riku turned into Xehanort's Heartless, summoned his Guardian Heartless, and came close to killing Roxas.

paperbot

Wasn't it said somewhere in one of the games (I could totally be wrong because I don't remember which, but for obvious reasons it wasn't KH1) that Riku wore the blindfold to protect his eyes? As in, he'd been in the world of darkness so long that his return to the world of light physically hurt his eyes.

I could just be pulling it out of nowhere, but it certainly made enough sense to me.

Or, if the first "theory" wasn't Nomura-like enough, that Riku felt like because he succumed to the darkness that he should live in it forever, so he blindfolded himself.

Last edited:

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Wasn't it said somewhere in one of the games (I could totally be wrong because I don't remember which, but for obvious reasons it wasn't KH1) that Riku wore the blindfold to protect his eyes? As in, he'd been in the world of darkness so long that his return to the world of light physically hurt his eyes.

Not really, no.

Or, if the first "theory" wasn't Nomura-like enough, that Riku felt like because he succumed to the darkness that he should live in it forever, so he blindfolded himself.

Eh, no. Said and demonstrated often enough.
He put the blindfold on to hold back the Darkness that was eating at him from the inside out.
Riku's self inflicting when it comes to his guilt, but the only time in which I saw him being that metaphoric and cliche was in the KH1 manga. He hardly went that far in the actual games. In his defense, this time - he really did have to go along with it for his sanity's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back