• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's Way to the Dawn Keyblade

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do YOU like Riku's Keyblade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku/Sora-Rule

I wanted to start a series of posts in which you votes on whether or not you like something. I think it'd be cool for ppl to see who have common mindsets based on
individual things about the KH series. First vote, then talk about why you think so.

I got this idea after I saw alot of ppl did not like some tuff that I found particularly interesting, or I didn't like something and never rly saw anyone talk about it much. The latter is where the first topic lies:

Do YOU like Riku's keyblade?

Me personally, I'm not a fan. To me it's one of the most random things in the KH universe. The last time you see Riku with his weapon is in the land of dragons the second time you go around, and at that point, it is still the Soul Eater. Then without explanation, It suddenly becomes the way to the dawn keyblade. Maybe if it had changed after the explosion of the kingdom hearts encoder, and Riku's appearance returned, then it would seem like something of an explanation, but we just don't know. And I'm not saying WHY he has a keyblade, I'm asking how the soul eater randomly transformed or if that's not what happened, where he got it.

And second, I don't like the design. It just seems like a rushed last minute design. I like the idea of the soul eater being the basis of the keyblade, but how the wings around the handle look, is kind of dissapointing. how they came out looking, the image of that is cool. and that one simple "angel" wing on the top just seems thrown on. An idea I think would have been interesting, since the soul eater looks like a small demonic wing, if near the tip, it deforms and the the angel wing grows out, showing Riku's journey from being a pawn of the dark to rejecting it and finding his light. Just something a little more complex looking.

What do you think?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Re: Do YOU like this?

I like it's silhouette. It's actual appearance... not as much, but I still like it.

Gram

Banned
Awards

i agree Riku's keyblade is ugly as sin, also it took him down a peg in mind perspective cause after that point he wasnt the darkness spamming power house i got in CoM. Darkness was his thing why replace it with a ugly weapon?

i know he can still use darkness and all but his puny dark aura balls in kh2 seem sad compared to his attacks in CoM just saiyan.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I don't even think I noticed the first time playing through KH2 that his weapon had changed forms. Especially because Sora received the Kingdom Key apparently out of nowhere, I'm confused as to why Riku was able to/possibly had to synthesize his Keyblade from an existing intermediate. Plus, it contributes to the convolution surrounding keychains versus Keyblade and we certainly don't need any more of that.

As for the design, I never took much issue with it. It doesn't look very much like a key, which is aggravating. At least, it isn't as awful as Destiny's Embrace.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I really liked destiny's embrace, at least it looked like a keyblade that had SOME effort put in.
I like the drawings and renders for it, but in-game it looked ugly. It's also a bit too ornamental for a direct combat weapon, in my opinion. At least Way to Dawn gives the impression that you could properly injure an enemy with it.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

lol no it looks like the way to the dawn will break when u strike with it hahaha
I don't follow. The Way to Dawn looks like a real blade because it's based on the Soul Eater, which is a real blade. It doesn't look remotely fragile; quite the opposite. Meanwhile, Destiny's Embrace looks like a twig you could break in half with your fingers.

Awards

I don't dislike the weapon. I like how it was a more elaborate type of Riku's original weapon, so it was symbolic, in a way. It also looks pretty strong, even if I don't like the actual appearance very much. And a pretty blade wouldn't look right with Riku, anyway, and the contrast of the colors on it was cool. So, of the two options, it'd say Love it.

Riku/Sora-Rule

I don't dislike the weapon. I like how it was a more elaborate type of Riku's original weapon, so it was symbolic, in a way. It also looks pretty strong, even if I don't like the actual appearance very much. And a pretty blade wouldn't look right with Riku, anyway, and the contrast of the colors on it was cool. So, of the two options, it'd say Love it.

I can respect that. I also said I liked how it the soul eater was the basis for the weapon. It really seems like they put more effort into kairi's keyblade, and we later find out in BBS, that the person who was actually supposed to receive the keyblade was Riku. Lol so I still think he should have gotten a better one. In terms of keyblades with simple designs, I really love Eraqus' keyblade, the fenrir, the kingdom Key and Kingdom key D and most of them from KH1 such as jungle king. The reason I say that is cuz overall, it's obvious they wanted riku to have a complex keyblade, and if you look at complex designs, such as the ultimate weapons, Master Xehanort's keyblade, and the void gear, it DEFINATELY falls short and really looks like cheap lol

Awards

I can respect that. I also said I liked how it the soul eater was the basis for the weapon. It really seems like they put more effort into kairi's keyblade, and we later find out in BBS, that the person who was actually supposed to receive the keyblade was Riku. Lol so I still think he should have gotten a better one. In terms of keyblades with simple designs, I really love Eraqus' keyblade, the fenrir, the kingdom Key and Kingdom key D and most of them from KH1 such as jungle king. The reason I say that is cuz overall, it's obvious they wanted riku to have a complex keyblade, and if you look at complex designs, such as the ultimate weapons, Master Xehanort's keyblade, and the void gear, it DEFINATELY falls short and really looks like cheap lol
I don't feel like they put more effort into Destiny's Embrace per se. It represented a place, not a person. That seems easier to represent, and, again, Riku is more complex, no? It wasn't the best, but I don't think it looks really cheap. It has a sort of eerie, mystical feel to it... at least to me. And the whole Angel/Devil thing is cool.

Riku/Sora-Rule

I don't feel like they put more effort into Destiny's Embrace per se. It represented a place, not a person. That seems easier to represent, and, again, Riku is more complex, no? It wasn't the best, but I don't think it looks really cheap. It has a sort of eerie, mystical feel to it... at least to me. And the whole Angel/Devil thing is cool.

Yeah the angel/devil thing is cool, just not executed so well with his key

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Destiny's embrace is, compared to Way to the Dawn, also much more plain and simple. It also doesn't really look like a dangerous weapon but more like a device to channel magic with.
Not to mention it also isn't Kairi's keyblade per se as Riku only borrowed a blade to her which had the Destiny Embrace-keychain.
Kairi has not been chosen by her own keyblade yet.

As for Way to the Dawn, I always found it way better than the plain Kingdom Key. It has also some similarities to the Two become One, being a sharp looking, more thin weapon which actually looks reminiscent to a real sword.
If one looks at the KK it comes over more as a strike and swing weapon while Way to the Dawn looks more like a slash and stab weapon.

The Angel wing potruding out of the demon wing as the "teeth" actually shows pretty good Riku's own way and the meaning of the blade: light coming from the darkness = dawn.

Leflores

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you want the blade to look more combat-worthy or more aesthetically pleasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back