• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Romance in a series about friendship

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

May-Jor

Awards
This was a topic I starting thinking about after seeing some arguments online. I'll try to be tactful.

There is an argument I see very frequently in the fandom and it usually along the lines of "KH won't have romance, it's all about friendship". But is this really true? Playing through the games, especially the most recent ones, Nomura/the writers don't seem to hesitate to make some romantic implications (Sora/Kairi). If not reciprocal romance, then very blatant attraction/pining (Larxene, Olette). Here's where I might be walking on eggshells. I mostly see this argument in the context of people not wanting a ship to become canon. But I feel like arguing that KH is strictly about friendship and won't confirm any couples won't stop the inevitable.

On the other hand, I can sympathize with and partially agree with that argument. And I do also notice people running with the opposite argument, usually in the context that their ship has a high possibility of happening. KH is mostly focused on friendships. I love how this series does make a point about how romantic love isn't the only type of love you can have for the people around you, and that it isn't more important. I think people (specifically those who actually expect certain relationships to be confirmed, not casual shippers) kind of undermine that assuming that the cast having deep connections to each other makes it romantic.

And, while I don't want to bring this up, I feel like I should for the sake of clarity: This applies to both gay AND straight relationships. I've seen plenty of people say that "not every friendship is a romance", but turn around and assume just because a guy and a girl are friends, they are in love and they're going to canonically get together (and vice-versa). Personally, I like Soriku, and I like Rokushi, but I can admit that they're probably aren't going to be more than friends. (There's a better chance of getting more romantic stuff with these pairings in anything written by the KH novelist, but I don't know to what degree how canon those are).

What are your thoughts?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
After the strong hints given for Sokai in both KH3 and Re:MIND I think overt romance between OC characters could become an actual thing next saga. Sora and Kairi may be a couple already for all we know.

Whether or not that feels out of place may depend on your point of view. Personally I'd be ok with more romance in the series. We already have it with the Disney characters

May-Jor

Awards
After the strong hints given for Sokai in both KH3 and Re:MIND I think overt romance between OC characters could become an actual thing next saga. Sora and Kairi may be a couple already for all we know.

Whether or not that feels out of place may depend on your point of view. Personally I'd be ok with more romance in the series. We already have it with the Disney characters

I can see KH being more explicit down the line with it's romantic themes, too. The only concern I'd have with that is the quality of how they're written, if Sora and Kairi's relationship is anything to go by.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I don't mind romance as long as it's been built up well. With Sora and Kairi, even though mutual interest has been established since the first game, we didn't see it developed very well. Every so often we got a reminder that "hey these two characters really care for each other" and then they'd move on, so when KH3/Re Mind came in shoving SoKai in our faces, I was kinda.. taken aback? Or caught off guard, I guess.

Spockanort describes it as being "unearned," which I feel is a very accurate word to use for this pairing. Had they been built up properly over the course of the series, it would have been fine. But we went from barely any interactions to well, we all saw it lol

If they want to show romance between characters in the future, then by all means, go right ahead. Just make sure enough precedent exists that the audience can buy it, and that whatever goes on is happening in an appropriate time and place.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well I've given my opinion on it already. I'm not big on romance. I actually think shipping brings out the worst of any fandom. Sora and Kairi is cute but still not written well. I have no real interest to explore romance in the series it's just exclusive one on one favoritism, whereas I want to see the characters expand their circle of friends to a larger size in the future. That's just me though, I prefer cheesy friendship over romance, and I think KH does well with corny cheesy friendships over their bad attempts at romance. I swear I sound like a broken record on this subject lol.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
As of now, the only "romance" thing in this series is Sokai. That's really it. And even then, it's more implied then anything. I think the problems lies in those implications; in more ways then one.

Sora and Kairi have A LOT of romantic framing in almost all of their scenes together but as far as that relationship goes, you get the feeling its not as strong as say Sora and Riku. But the reason why the latter is implied and the other isn't is the framing and that is the one thing I've seen debated for years. Of course, I've been on the opinion of only really Sora and Kairi are romance implied while everything isn't in that frame. Is it because of homophobia or the years upon years of media framing that only the guy and girl can get together because stereotypes?

Yeah, probably. Is that okay? It isn't, all relationships should be included but the fact is, it isn't for whatever reasons and Sora/Kairi is the only resemblance of romantic framing we'll probably get. Sora and Kairi is the only thing that actually romantic in any sense throughout all these games. And that's not me saying that, the narrative is telling me and everyone else that. Sora/Kairi scenes and Sora/Riku scenes on closer look are just not framed or contextualized in the same way. They just aren't. And if you want to bring obscure novels that only the harcore fans bother to read, then you're shit out of luck on that one since those novels are just barely canon and most of the fans don't read them.

But why am I bringing this up? To flame some shipping wars? Kind of, cause I'm a cheeky little sh*t but also because at the end of the day, Sora and Riku have a far stronger relationship than Sora and Kairi from the way that's its told and it doesn't line up with how it is framed narratively. And that's the main problem. You see, I can understand why Sora/Riku is a relationship some fans want or prefer. Not because they want to shove "political correctness" but because throughout the entire Xehanort arc, Sora and Riku have the better dynamic of the two and one that has the most screentime. But why is this relationship stronger then the one that is the only one in the whole series that is romantically implied? And even if either or were, what does that say about the power of friendship or relationships? The series doesn't have an answer and it doesn't seem to want one.

I'm not saying you can't have stronger relationships with your best friend them let's say... your wife/girlfriend? But I wouldn't think a series like Kingdom Hearts is even attempting that kind of human relationship complexity that comes with that. For all its faults, when it comes to the relationships between characters, KH is fairly straight forward (I mean, not really, but I'm getting there)... but really only with the friendship angle. When romance is involved, for some reason, Disney and Noruma, are holding back so strongly that it muddles with that exact power of certain kinds of relationships that can be formed beyond friendships or if there's really any power dynamic at all going on when comes to connections with people in your life that are close to you.

And what I mean by that is that, generally speaking, you should love your wife/girlfriend a tad bit more then your own friends. That's kind of how it works in the simplest of terms. Now, its not always like that and human beings are complicated but KH is not the series that is going for that. So I ask again, if Sora and Kairi are romantically framed 99% of the time, why does Sora and Riku have a stronger relationship in the eyes of most fans?

Well, two reasons

1. Noruma did not care about Kairi until like 5 minutes ago when everyone screamed at him about it and went, "Fine" and even then, he couldn't help himself from shafting her out of the narrative so that she can be rescued. SO then the fans screamed louder, and he was like, "Okay fine, one boss fight" and then he proceeds to put her in sleep mode for a year and slightly hints at maybe she'll get a game... maybe. This girl... one of the main characters wasn't playable until the DLC of the 7th or 8th game in the canonical series.

The writers and Noruma treat Kairi like an afterthought and that's why a relationship that should be stronger then Sora/Riku, or at the very least on par with them, isn't is partially because of that. And even if we're talking about the logical nature of the character development of this character becoming someone who decides to be apart of the fight come end of KH2, she should've been apart of DDD then. Instead, she was a surprise tease for a video game she was going to be killed off and having to be rescued in anyway.

So... yeah.

But the other most important reason is the series' theme conflicting or just plain contradicting with ... just ... the nature of human relationships in and of themselves. It wants to treat everyone on the same plain field, because this series is running on the theme of friendship. But there's only so many different ways that you can portray friendship until you're stuck in corner repeating yourself, which is the problem the KH has been currently in for a long time.

This is something that was always going to be a problem, which is why it baffles me that Sora and Kairi are still framed in the way they are after the series went full "my friends are my power". You see, when Kingdom Hearts was first out, I never considered friendship to be the literal main theme of the entire series. Friendship is a big part of it but honestly, and it makes a lot more sense this way, the series main theme has always been about connection between people and the power of that connection. Not just friendship. And I assumed friendship was just apart of the theme of the first game and we would generally move on to other frames of connection between characters. And that's why I also thought Sora and Kairi, though generic, was a nice set up for that down the line. But the series main theme isn't really about that anymore. It went full "my friends are my power" and that I feel was a big mistake. Yeah, its about connection but mostly between friends and not any others that really existence outside of that and whenever it is, its barely there and talked down with so much subtext and only that, that it contradicts itself with other things and makes you asks yourself why it even bothered if they won't go all the way.

Like, with Ventus and Vanitas; them being framed as brothers rather then just two halves of the same person I thought was far more interesting. It framed their dynamic in a totally new light then them just being another duality of light and darkness for the series. But with them being brothers, that duality has more familiarity and deeper meaning rather then just existential meaning. Its these types of broader relationships that build of theme of light and darkness and the connection that forms and makes them up that build more on it then just the friendships angle. It's the type of thing this series desperately needs to improve its narrative.

Or how about when Terra refers to Eraqus as his father, something not only should be called into question of how Terra and Aqua even became Keyblade wielders in the first place, is never touched upon at all? Why are Terra and Aqua orphans? Where did they come from? Do they not question their lost of connection, something that any genuine orphan child would want to know about because that's human nature?

Sora, Riku, and Kairi never having any sort of relationship with their parents is something that bothers me greatly and I really seem to be the only fan who cares since everyone just learned to accept and memed it to death. But it is a problem. Because series can't just be about the power of friendship. Especially for a franchise like this, its unrealistic to due so.

As much people want to deny it, KH is not just for children. It's mainly for people who grew up with it and the Disney/Final Fantasy characters prior. KH3 was hyped up mostly by people are were in their 20s/30s. And at that point in a person's life, its has became more then friendships. And Kingdom Hearts, for a ridiculous as this series is, needs to be a series that reflects that. Especially if you are going to bother to age these characters or introduce characters that are in their 20s anyway.

And they especially can't just focus on friendship mainly because of Sora/Kairi; especially if they plan to go futher with it if the DLC is anything to go by because having it still be here is thematically confusing. It blew my mind when Sora went through all this trouble for Kairi and by the time they ended up in The Final World at the end of Re: Mind and Sora just casually refers to her as his friend, I nearly laughed. Because what's the difference at this point? Why should I put any stock in this relationship when it might as well be the same as Sora's relationship to everyone else? What makes Kairi more important or have a deeper connection then Riku? Or it is the same and if so, why are they framed so differently but one has way more screentime, so from the viewers POV, it doesn't line up? Because the series refuses to commit to what its main theme truly about and its connections between people and that doesn't just involve friendships so it can elaborate of the different connections characters have to each other. Jusy having the theme of friendship limits this story narratively is so many ways.

The biggest reason why Sora and Riku have far more screentime is because they are biggest representative of that theme of friendship. They are truly best friends for life and it's why people love it. But there are some relationships deeper then friendship, that's just how it works. I say best friends but Sora and Riku act way more like brothers then anything else and you can love your best friend that way. The problem is that the series doesn't want to commit to any deeper connection then that, so they are just framed as best friends but they have such a love for each other that's far more told then Sora and Kairi, that if they aren't brothers in that sense then maybe there's something else going on if it's not that? Because it has to be right? You can't have you're cake and eat it too. If they want to frame a gay relationship with Sora/Riku, go all the way but the series doesn't want to do because that's not what they are trying to say with that friendship but how else am I suppose to see if the other "love interest" barely gets screentime. Because that's not what the narrative is telling me, its telling me the romance is with Sora/Kairi but then why have this romance at all if it's not going any deeper then the friendship of two dudes who have far more screentime together?

But again, the series will never go any deeper then that because apparently friendship is the only thing that matters. And that greatly limits the options because you can only go so far with the theme of friendship. And trying to introduce others connections does nothing but contradict itself and and confuses people and, SPOILER ALERT, that's the reason the Sora/Kairi and Sora/Riku debate will continue without a conclusion on either side until the series is eventually rebooted. Because the series doesnt want an answer or too lazy to go beyond it. It wants to have its cake and eat it too. It wants to stay in this bubble of friendship when eventually, the bubble has to burst if the series wants to keep its fanbase interested in these characters' arcs and how they are framed around this theme or connection. Since most of the characters arcs are concluded and they somehow want to continue these chatacters' story, they are going to have to do that anyway otherwise why should I care about these characters having any arcs or connection with other characters if you are never going to explore them on any deeper then "the power of friendship"

So the series has to either go all on or not at all, otherwise this conversation of if whether or not romance is in the series will forever be moot point. Until the series decides to go deeper and introduced other types of relationships and connections between people being just as valid, KH will be stuck in this friendship limbo; which means Sora/Kairi won't go futher then what it is right now, Sora/Riku will be something forever debated, and no other theme of connection in this series will ever be explored in any meaningful way and when it is, it comes at the last minute.

So yeah, that was my rant for the day.

Last edited:

May-Jor

Awards

I really do understand the odd disparity between the way Sora/Riku is written vs. Sora/Kairi. However, we might need to consider Nomura's intentions. KH is written very much like a shounen series, and those are notorious for having the two "best buddies" who have a more developed connection compared to the MC and his love interest. I don't think it's accurate to say that people find specific types of relationships are more important than others. It's a case-by-case thing, sometimes it's influenced by culture. The idea of your lovers or even family being ranked above your comrades is ideal, but not universally practiced. There are a sizable chunk of writers out there who have a bit of a "bros before h***" mentality, and get confused when the audience interprets the relationships between their characters a certain way.

I would also consider how KH3 is a turning point regarding Sora and Kair's relationship. Nomura mentioned in an interview (don't know where to find it) that KH3 was about how the connections between the characters are changing into something new, or something along those lines. It's like the journey to this point in the story wasn't made straight-forward and explicit because it was build-up to realizing these feelings (very weak and poorly written build-up, but it's still something, I guess). At this point, we just have to wait to see what they continue to do with these two in the future. Whether Nomura is really going to commit to an "upgrade" in their relationship, or continue to be dodgy about it for some strange reason.

May-Jor

Awards
Just don't pull a Boruto and give us a spin off game about Sora and Kairi's son/daughter, lol.
My biggest fear regarding this topic: KH goes full Abe and ends with the cast haphazardly paired off with kids.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
But again, the series will never go any deeper then that because apparently friendship is the only thing that matters. And that greatly limits the options because you can only go so far with the theme of friendship. And trying to introduce others connections does nothing but contradict itself and and confuses people and, SPOILER ALERT, that's the reason the Sora/Kairi and Sora/Riku debate will continue without a conclusion on either side until the series is eventually rebooted. Because the series doesnt want an answer or too lazy to go beyond it. It wants to have its cake and eat it too.
That's exactly how I feel, too.

OneDandelion

Awards
Is it because of homophobia or the years upon years of media framing that only the guy and girl can get together because stereotypes?

Yeah, probably. Is that okay? It isn't, all relationships should be included but the fact is, it isn't for whatever reasons and Sora/Kairi is the only resemblance of romantic framing we'll probably get.
This sort of social agenda is based on a wholly toxic assumption. You shouldn't just assume people are homophobic because they don't want to write homosexual characters. People write stories that reflect their own lives more often than not and less than 10% of the population was homosexual last I checked. Including a bunch of relationships just for the sake of it will just lead to bad storytelling anyway and Kingdom Hearts does not need anything else weighing it down ffs.

Anyway, I don't see any strong aspects of romance being a part of the story beyond what there already is; and if there is, it would feel out of place given what the focus of the series is. I honestly can't see any of the character's saying something like "I love you" or sharing a kiss because it will directly trivialize the relationships between other characters. If the story was told another way I would say that it's okay to do something like that but when Sora's "connections" are what allows him to jump through space time to save Kairi in Remind saying "I love you" sounds a bit trivial in and of itself.

It's sort of a catch-22. Because the narrative of the story directly plays down romance with it's consistent messages on the magic of friendship, and if there was a romance with any depth to it it would end up playing against the significance of friendship that the story keeps pushing.

The fact that Sora was able to connect with everyone as he has would make it seem as if he loves everyone equally. At most, romance in the series seems to amount to a little light that can guide you/inspire you to return to the real world from the Final World, as Kairi did for Sora. Not saying the story shouldn't be written with more romance but I think if it was intended from the start to eventually make romance a focus of the series than the past games did a really poor job of developing it.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
This sort of social agenda is based on a wholly toxic assumption. You shouldn't just assume people are homophobic because they don't want to write homosexual characters. People write stories that reflect their own lives more often than not and less than 10% of the population was homosexual last I checked. Including a bunch of relationships just for the sake of it will just lead to bad storytelling anyway and Kingdom Hearts does not need anything else weighing it down ffs.

I.... never said that? At least, that wasn't my intention. I said probably, meaning that it could be a factor but who knows? Because it's not something I can just disregard when it comes to the issue of writing homosexual characters, especially in media that can be catered to children. Some writers are pretty homophobic and some aren't. I'm not saying its definately that reason for the Kingdom Hearts series not including gay characters but it could be a factor. Ignoring that possiblity to appear as fair would be ignorance in and of itself. It could be that it is either or option, who knows; we are not in the writers room and I never claimed to know, which is why I didnt state it as a fact but the denying one option couldn't possibly be a factor in the discussion would be denying a real part of the injustices that exists in our world to minority groups; especially the media itself and how they are portrayed in said media, if they're portrayed at all.

Plus, that whole smallest percentage thing doesn't really apply. Writers can chose to include different diverse characters into their story without it having been apart of their lives. Not saying it's a bad thing to not do that, I understand what you mean by that, and writing what you grew up with isn't bad by itself but some writers tend to broaden their horizons when it comes to characters and probably should if they want to expand on what they can write. And really, it all just depends on the writer and their skill level. But again, doesn't make a bad person if you don't but when it comes to social aspects of this, these are factors and realities that exist behind media and you can't ignore. But yeah, you shouldnt go around assuming right off the bat and I apologize if that's how I came across but ignoring that possiblity, especially in the political climate these days, shouldn't be dismissed either.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
I never really cared about ships if I’m being honest with myself, I used to ship Sora and kairi, but now I feel like Sora and Riku are better and kairi should stay single, SoKai to me feels forced until i see more of them together like I did with Sora and riku, I know Sora and Riku are just best friends but they had better chemistry together.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
As much as I would love KH to have a gay relationship in it, I honestly don't see the chemistry and/or want for SoRiku. I think they're amazing friends (with gay undertones, I feel like it can't be helped with the way Nomura writes some characters). It would be so awkward to have Sora and Riku to end up together.

Funnily enough, I typically ship gay relationships more than straight ones, but for some weird reason I adore SoKai. I know that they haven't been fleshed out a lot, but I kinda like that. Considering what was shown for ReMIND, I'm liking the direction they're going in. I think the issue of SoKai stemmed from Kairi being stuck in "damsel in distress" mode and not being able to be in combat, hence she was always conveniently removed from Sora. Now that she's on the battlefield with him (and thereby allowed to be in more plots/scenes with him), they can actually interact more. For example, if she was still the Kairi we knew in KH2, she wouldn't have been at the Keyblade Graveyard and Sora wouldn't have been there to hug/save her.

Aside from SoKai, I also ship NaRiku hard. When I saw her in his Dive to Heart over Sora... my shipper heart exploded lol. I felt like ReMIND was Nomura solidifying SoKai and NaRiku -- which I think is a good thing moving forward. I don't think KH needs any more relationships beyond these, but I can see Lauriam/Elrena getting time. I definitely don't want to see Terra, Ven, Roxas, Xion, Axel, Isa, etc. in relationships. The only exception is Aqua and Zach... kthnx bai.

Zetsumei

Awards
I mean the relationships are all there, they just don't heavily focus on the development of those relationships for some reason. I guess because they aren't that important to the main plot of the game.

Right now these are the obvious ones imo:
1. Sora + Kairi
2. Aqua + Terra
3. Riku + Namine

Looking ahead into the future:
1. Probably a love triangle with Axel, Saix, and whoever Subject X ends up being.
2. Ava and Gula have a thing going on imo.
3. And then there's Strelitzia who had a thing for the Ux player which never really had a chance to get off the ground. You know Nomura won't leave that alone. I mean he's taking more than what, 3 games just for Sora to say "Thanks, Namine". (Still working on it lol)

TLDR, romance is everywhere in this series, it's just sort of happening in the background.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I felt like ReMIND was Nomura solidifying SoKai and NaRiku -- which I think is a good thing moving forward.

SoKai for sure, but RikuNami? Nah, he'd already debunked that in the Ultimania. Namine appearing on Riku's awakening platform was a result of recycling artwork that was originally created for merchandising and promotional exhibits.

OneDandelion

Awards
I.... never said that? At least, that wasn't my intention. I said probably, meaning that it could be a factor but who knows? Because it's not something I can just disregard when it comes to the issue of writing homosexual characters, especially in media that can be catered to children. Some writers are pretty homophobic and some aren't. I'm not saying its definately that reason for the Kingdom Hearts series not including gay characters but it could be a factor. Ignoring that possiblity to appear as fair would be ignorance in and of itself. It could be that it is either or option, who knows; we are not in the writers room and I never claimed to know, which is why I didnt state it as a fact but the denying one option couldn't possibly be a factor in the discussion would be denying a real part of the injustices that exists in our world to minority groups; especially the media itself and how they are portrayed in said media, if they're portrayed at all.

Plus, that whole smallest percentage thing doesn't really apply. Writers can chose to include different diverse characters into their story without it having been apart of their lives. Not saying it's a bad thing to not do that, I understand what you mean by that, and writing what you grew up with isn't bad by itself but some writers tend to broaden their horizons when it comes to characters and probably should if they want to expand on what they can write. And really, it all just depends on the writer and their skill level. But again, doesn't make a bad person if you don't but when it comes to social aspects of this, these are factors and realities that exist behind media and you can't ignore. But yeah, you shouldnt go around assuming right off the bat and I apologize if that's how I came across but ignoring that possiblity, especially in the political climate these days, shouldn't be dismissed either.
The reason I brought up the percentage was because it correlates with the lack of new media content featuring homosexuality. I say the same thing about stories featuring women or other minority groups. It's not that the content shouldn't be created it's simply a logistics issue. There are less homosexual and minority/women authors and thus less representation, and beyond that publishing that sort of material is harder because naturally it appeals to a smaller crowd. And you could ask for more women reps in Kingdom Hearts... but does anyone really want that given how much Nomura apparently struggles with writing female characters? That is to say - of course KH would be better off with better written characters no matter what their gender or sexual orientation - but if they are not Nomura's forte to begin with and he doesn't want to write them, or they don't work with his vision of the story he wants to tell, then naturally the story will suffer if he inorganically forces himself to write them.

I didn't think that was your intention either, and maybe I came off as a little harsh, but this sort of thing has been bugging me lately. Taking it to a further extreme people's careers and reputations have been destroyed as a result of the media going off a hunch and running with it only to be proven wrong. So when you said "probably" I may have overreacted in coming to Nomura's defense when your comment was relatively harmless.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
SoKai for sure, but RikuNami? Nah, he'd already debunked that in the Ultimania. Namine appearing on Riku's awakening platform was a result of recycling artwork that was originally created for merchandising and promotional exhibits.
Plus I think the ending in Re:MIND downplayed RikuNami a bit. In that version she didn't look nearly as happy to see Riku as she did in the original one

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
You crushed my heart.

Are you serious!? Where was that artwork ever used before because I was jumping in glee that we got to see Riku, Roxas, and (I think) Xion's own, thinking that it was brand new.

What did he say in Ultimania? I mean, I kind of always shipped Aqua and Riku as well.

Back