• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roxas VS Sora battle quote

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VenTer

Awards
Roxas said:Tell me, tell me why he picked you?
It kinda made me wonder of who is this specific he is he talking about? :confused:

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I think it's Axel he talks about, because initially, Axel wanted Sora to become a Heartless again so that he can have Roxas back, but in the end, Axel sacrificed himself in order to save Sora from the Nobodies. This in turn awakens Roxas's heart inside Sora, they have that mad angry fight and Roxas admits defeat... "You make a good other"...

VenTer

Awards
I think it's Axel he talks about, because initially, Axel wanted Sora to become a Heartless again so that he can have Roxas back, but in the end, Axel sacrificed himself in order to save Sora from the Nobodies. This in turn awakens Roxas's heart inside Sora, they have that mad angry fight and Roxas admits defeat... "You make a good other"...
I see so, it was Axel. And he my by you make a good other meaning? Like you make a good other me?:confused:

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Roxas was told that he is Sora, and not his own person. So, when he says "You make a good other", he means that, if it can't be Roxas who will continue existing, then a good alternate choice is Sora, who proved himself stronger than Roxas in battle. Sora is his "other", the form in which Roxas assumed he will continue to exist. Roxas didn't want to go down without a fight. After he lost to Sora, he simply had to accept his fate of a Nobody, which is still sad and unfair, and Roxas knows the bitter taste of the whole situation.

this is what I assume, ya better hear other replies too~

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's actually a mistranslation/problem with the fact that japanese doesn't differentiate between pronouns.

The correct quote is "Tell me why it picked you."
It in this case meaning the Keyblade.
It's a throwback to Roxas' earlier questions about why he can wield a Keyblade which kept nagging at him.

He wanted to know what's so special about Sora that the Keyblade chose him (remember, unlike all the other Keyblade Wielders who got chosen by another wielder through the rite, Sora got chosen by the Keyblade itself without ever receiving the rite).

Wander

The real explanation is that it's a mistranslation, the Japanese version translates to "Tell me why it chose you" refering to the Keyblade.

The English version works too imo, I actually kind of like it better because it can easily be interpreted as him referring to Axel and wanting to know why Axel decided to sacrifice himself just to save Sora and or not go through with trying to bring him back. It sounds like something he'd say and fits his character quite well (it's not unlike him to be selfish at times, imo it just makes the character more relatable) especially in his current fit of rage.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I rather it just be ambiguous because it's more fun to think about who Roxas is referring to (Riku?Axel?Xemnas?) than just knowing he meant the Keyblade.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
I knew the Japanese version of the quote...
perhaps there's no "it" at all in the Japanese version, as the language works. Roxas really didn't care about the Keyblade, he hated everything that happened to him because of being a Keyblade wielder. Why would he be bothered by the Keyblade choosing Sora? does Roxas care about wielding the Keyblade at all? Being able to wield a Keyblade was something like a curse to Roxas and he knew he was used because of that. Such a question would mean that Roxas actually was jealous of Sora for the specific reason that the Keyblade chose him, but it's really not about the Keyblade, it's about who remains.
and to me, if Roxas referred to the Keyblade, this would make no sense at all. Why would Roxas awaken inside Sora just for the reason that he remembered "oh, yes, the Keyblade chose Sora and not me" exactly after Axel just sacrificed himself for Sora? A better translation would have been "Why does it have to be you?", something like that, because, seriously, Axel chose to let Sora live, instead of just letting him die there and getting Roxas back. Why does it have to be Sora, chosen by idk, DESTINY, who lives on, and not Roxas? I take it like that
the English version is more meaningful in this case, making us think of Axel, or even DiZ at first, or who knows, someone specific, whereas the Japanese version is simplified
I still doubt that Roxas meant the Keyblade, knowing how much he got to despise that weapon

digimikej

Awards
I knew the Japanese version of the quote...
perhaps there's no "it" at all in the Japanese version, as the language works. Roxas really didn't care about the Keyblade, he hated everything that happened to him because of being a Keyblade wielder. Why would he be bothered by the Keyblade choosing Sora? does Roxas care about wielding the Keyblade at all? Being able to wield a Keyblade was something like a curse to Roxas and he knew he was used because of that. Such a question would mean that Roxas actually was jealous of Sora for the specific reason that the Keyblade chose him, but it's really not about the Keyblade, it's about who remains.
and to me, if Roxas referred to the Keyblade, this would make no sense at all. Why would Roxas awaken inside Sora just for the reason that he remembered "oh, yes, the Keyblade chose Sora and not me" exactly after Axel just sacrificed himself for Sora? A better translation would have been "Why does it have to be you?", something like that, because, seriously, Axel chose to let Sora live, instead of just letting him die there and getting Roxas back. Why does it have to be Sora, chosen by idk, DESTINY, who lives on, and not Roxas? I take it like that
the English version is more meaningful in this case, making us think of Axel, or even DiZ at first, or who knows, someone specific, whereas the Japanese version is simplified
I still doubt that Roxas meant the Keyblade, knowing how much he got to despise that weapon

to me, that very hatred of the keyblade is why he wanted to know. he wanted o know why the keyblade chose sora, because if it never had, all those horrid things wouldn't have ever happened to roxas (he also would've never existed, but I don't see him thinking that far ahead.)
the reason he awakened is still the same: axel's death triggered it. he woke up, remembered how much life sucked because of the keyblade, and tried to understand it by asking sora why the keyblade was a thing they had (and simultaneously beating the snot out of him, because...reasons.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back