• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[RUMOR] Disney Japan rejected Nintendo's proposal for Sora in SSBU

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mash_bros_ultimate_but_got_rejected_by_disney

One of the most requested DLC fighters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series. Compared to a lot of other suggestions, this character actually seems like quite an appropriate fit for Nintendo's all-star brawler.

What are the chances then of Sora being added to the game, and why hasn't Nintendo already made it happen? In the latest episode of the Kinda Funny Gamescast, former senior editor at Game Informer and industry insider Imran Khan revealed how Nintendo had "absolutely approached Disney" about the possible inclusion of Sora in Smash. When asked if Disney was the problem, Khan explained how it was "Disney Japan specifically" who had supposedly prevented any deal from going ahead.

You see, the Kingdom Hearts series is a collaboration between Square Enix and Disney – meaning it's not as simple as just adding the character to the game with Square's permission alone, as Disney outright owns this IP. Therefore, it's nothing like adding Cloud from the Final Fantasy series, who is entirely owned by Square Enix.

Even if this is true, it doesn't necessarily rule out the Kingdom Hearts protagonist altogether. Khan thinks there's still a chance, but would be surprised if it did go ahead.

This has been blowing up on other gaming forums, surprised it didn't already have a thread here.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Because it is nothing but speculation and really poor reporting by all of these sites based on a quick comment made by Imran that we’ve been known.

This is likely from one of the earlier rejections and we know for a fact that Disney Japan was open to the idea not that long ago.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I’m so confused since I know nothing about business but why would Disney Japan be involved with making the decision?

Is it because Nintendo HQ is in Japan and it would be easier to handle those affairs? I imagined a decision like that would go over them.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I’m so confused since I know nothing about business but why would Disney Japan be involved with making the decision?

Is it because Nintendo HQ is in Japan and it would be easier to handle those affairs? I imagined a decision like that would go over them.
And they likely work more directly with Square. KH got started because of both companies being in the same building.

Hitman365

Awards
It’s a shame that Sora doesn’t get much attention in other crossover games aside from his own game series.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney, so the logical approach to deal with Kingdom Hearts from Nintendo's perspective would be to speak with Disney Japan about Sora's inclusion.

Back