• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► [RUMORS] Harry Potter Live-Action TV-series in Early Development

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
I didn't even mention the weird swath of TERF lebians popping out of the woodwork lately fearmongering about "going extinct" because transmen (some being former lesbians) are realizing they're actually men, not butch/masculine lesbians, but men. The freak out over Elliot Page was beyond ridiculous and stupid.

As well as the gay men and straight allies doing the same.

Taking the oppression of one group and weaponising it against another oppressed group? There’s a special place in hell for you.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I know you posted this three times. I'm not ignoring it. It's just a) I don't really 'debate' with youtube videos and b) I don't want to base any arguments in opposition to concerns I don't actually disagree with. I have full sympathy for her concerns. For so many trans people, getting through any given day can be an existential struggle. For most others, it's a burden many of us can't appreciate.

However, this is not a zero sum game. It's not either/or. Women have faced hell throughout history at the hands of men. We're all complicit. To claim there are zero issues cis women face that trans women don't is as intellectually vacuous as claiming there are zero issues trans women face that don't also impact cis women.

I'm a cis man and have no special insight or vested interest here. That's another reason I don't want to get too deep into factional debate over things that impact those I'm debating far more than they impact myself. But I have sympathy for Rowling's intellectual position and the vérité concerns facing transfolk. That might sound contradictory, but I don't think it is. I submit that contradictory truths can often, at once, ring true.

I'm not asking you to debate with the video. I'm giving you context from the point of view of a trans woman speaking on Joanne's statements so you and other users here can better educate themselves on the subject matter and to see exactly why Joanne's views of gender and sex are harmful and problematic and should not be hand-waved away as some sort of acceptable opinion with any basis in intellectualism.

She has used false and unsourced statements in her essays over the last two years to give credence to her statements, which serve as the opposite of being an intelligent position. She is speaking from an emotional place. Any valid intellectual arguments she might have made are often overshadowed by her own personal experiences and how those experiences have colored her view points in the present.

You don't have to have any special insight on trans rights or even a vested interest. I'm cis, so while these issues do not directly affect me, that should not matter to anybody in the slightest when it is a human rights issue. I believe it is important to stand up for the trans community especially when faced with a bigoted woman with a vast amount of wealth spreading her hateful rhetoric through bad faith arguments hidden behind eloquently-written concern trolling.

All I'm asking is for you or anybody else to not ignore that Joanne Rowling is a TERF––a powerful one who wields her money and influence to push back against progressive measures to better the lives of trans people––and that for many people, she deserves to be dragged over the coals and criticized for these views. Along with being criticized for being a TERF, it is important to call into question many of Joanne's past statements and writings on other subjects because if we cannot trust her sincerity on gender and sex issues, how can we trust her sincerity on race and sexuality for example?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

I could see it being another adaptation of the novels. That the safest bet but I'm ok with it. Harry Potter is a coming of age story. So redoing it for the kids today is fine. I'd probably put Harry in a different house for the hell of it.

I'd prefer a spinoff with a new set of characters, plot, setting etc. I liked the first Fantastic Beasts movie but I'm disappointed with the 2nd film and the Curse Child. So I'm iffy on expansions.

Someone did fancast the Founders of Hogwarts and I'd watch it.

I'm still excited for Hogwarts Legacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wonder if the TV adaptation will be set in the modern day with smart phones and internet? I'm sure in this day and age, it would be pretty easy for Muggles to document magic use.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
To me, it’s just too hard to see new actors playing in a Harry Potter show/movie. The movies themselves have become iconic and have aged well. I think everything about how those movies were filmed were quite magical. I’m not saying TV series will be bad, but they got some major shoes to fill.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I won’t tell people to not watch this show when it comes out. I’d be a hypocrite when I still wear my Hot Topic Slytherin bomber jacket everywhere because it’s warm af and my favorite color is green, and I have HP socks and I still watch the films on DVD and Blu-ray (not recently though because I’m still depressed by everything).

But I will say that I personally won’t be giving this franchise more of my money. I’m fine with consuming fanworks (which are always better because they inject a lot of cultural diversity into the lore and give minority groups better representation) and things I already own but they can miss me with that HBO sub when the show releases.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So you don't care about our rights and you're just fine if we're oppressed?

I think he means he doesn’t want to debate JK Rowling’s intentions. He seems to believe in trans rights, but not on the idea of Joanne’s words being wholly anti-trans as they are more nuanced than that.

I don’t agree with them being nuanced because her words are just typical TERF talking points that hide behind the illusion of meaning well, but I think I understand not wanting to debate over her statements.

Willow A113

Awards
I think he means he doesn’t want to debate JK Rowling’s intentions. He seems to believe in trans rights, but not on the idea of Joanne’s words being wholly anti-trans as they are more nuanced than that.

I don’t agree with them being nuanced because her words are just typical TERF talking points that hide behind the illusion of meaning well, but I think I understand not wanting to debate over her statements.
Understandable. I do believe JK Rowling is a terf. The reason I haven't been too active in this thread until now is because I don't like to participate in discussions as negative as this. Dealing with my parents' trasphobia is enough, I just don't usually feel like talking about JK Rowling.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Understandable. I do believe JK Rowling is a terf. The reason I haven't been too active in this thread until now is because I don't like to participate in discussions as negative as this. Dealing with my parents' trasphobia is enough, I just don't usually feel like talking about JK Rowling.
That's understandable. Dealing with or engaging in these kind of more negative discussions is hard. Especially when you're directly affected by it. And it's worse when you have to deal with it from people you should be able to count on, like parents.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
To me, it’s just too hard to see new actors playing in a Harry Potter show/movie. The movies themselves have become iconic and have aged well. I think everything about how those movies were filmed were quite magical. I’m not saying TV series will be bad, but they got some major shoes to fill.
I agree, it's hard to imagine someone else as Hermione or Ron, for example, but I never liked Radcliffe. I always thought he was terrible until I saw him in something other than HP and realized he's actually quite a great actor. They for sure can find a better Dumbledore. The funny thing is, like Radcliffe, I've seen Gambon in other things where he's fine. It's really just in HP that he doesn't work, jmo. Ginny, the twins, Percy, Sirius, and Narcissa are others that come to mind that they could find someone better to play than the films did.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I agree, it's hard to imagine someone else as Hermione or Ron, for example, but I never liked Radcliffe. I always thought he was terrible until I saw him in something other than HP and realized he's actually quite a great actor. They for sure can find a better Dumbledore. The funny thing is, like Radcliffe, I've seen Gambon in other things where he's fine. It's really just in HP that he doesn't work, jmo. Ginny, the twins, Percy, Sirius, and Narcissa are others that come to mind that they could find someone better to play than the films did.
OMG! Ginny was horrible! But maybe it's because I didn't like her character at all in the books. I also didn't like George and Tom or whatever the twins were called.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with this series. I kinda feel like it's too soon, but then remember that the Deathly Hallows movie came out a decade ago and the book was about 14 years ago. With the way kids are nowadays, overloaded with media and just flying through series non-stop, I think doing the TV series will be fine. There's already new generations out there to introduce it to: the children that were born when the series was coming to a close, like in the mid-2000s, and kids born in the last 5 years or so.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
OMG! Ginny was horrible! But maybe it's because I didn't like her character at all in the books. I also didn't like George and Tom or whatever the twins were called.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with this series. I kinda feel like it's too soon, but then remember that the Deathly Hallows movie came out a decade ago and the book was about 14 years ago. With the way kids are nowadays, overloaded with media and just flying through series non-stop, I think doing the TV series will be fine. There's already new generations out there to introduce it to: the children that were born when the series was coming to a close, like in the mid-2000s, and kids born in the last 5 years or so.
Fred and George. Tom was Voldemort’s real first name.

I could see this series being one of three things: 1. A retelling of the original books, with more time put in for the school stuff, 2. A prequel series focused on either the Marauders or the Order of the Phoenix, or 3. A tie-in to the Fantastic Beast movies. Personally I’d be okay with the former, but I’m expecting one of the latter two.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Fred and George. Tom was Voldemort’s real first name.

I could see this series being one of three things: 1. A retelling of the original books, with more time put in for the school stuff, 2. A prequel series focused on either the Marauders or the Order of the Phoenix, or 3. A tie-in to the Fantastic Beast movies. Personally I’d be okay with the former, but I’m expecting one of the latter two.
I want to actually see Harry go to practice for Quidditch and have more moments as a teenager, rather than the whirlwind of events that happens for the films. AND I hope that the executive producers use this as an opportunity to rewrite some trash in the books like Harry/Ginny, and do Harry/Hermione (which I hope they do with the Avatar TV series and make Zutara happen).

Back