• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Rumour: A World Based on Frozen 2 Reportedly Considered for Kingdom Hearts 4

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
PS4 will be long dead by 2022 (and ps5 will already get a price drop), sony asked big publishers to focus on PS5 from now on.
KH4 is 100% gonna be a next gen only. hopefully using UE5 and all the other next gen stuff.
For heaven's sake... Hopefully it's a long time away then still, because I'm not ready to buy the PS5 yet.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yes, they do. Also after Frozen 2, even a lot of adults changed their mind about Olaf (myself included).

He tests really well with children. His morbid humor and quirky nature just hits well with that audience.
I so badly wanted to see Olaf interact with Larxene and annoy her. She would have constantly tried to blast him to pieces and he would have kept putting himself together to spite her

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
KH3 sold insanely well and I'm sure Disney and Square don't want to wait for the next big hit in the franchise. My guess would probably be 2023.
Yep. Good points.

2022 for best case scenario, 2023 for realistically.

They pumped KH3 out in four years after resetting to UE4, but the pre-production on the game had been done (worlds selected, contracts with current Disney staff made etc).

If pre-prod for 4 began in 2019, then worlds and contracts would all be done. They don’t have to rebuild everything this time around, so they are reusing a lot of assets. They also have a UE4 workflow established and have their own system in place for it (even if it’s highly unoptimised like Digital Foundry suggested).
Very good points. IF they choose to go for PS4 or PS4 and 5 or just PS5, I presume that Unreal Engine 5 facilitates the "porting" on work done on a previous engine version, were they to make KH4 multiplat.

Who knows what the thing outside of UXDR, MoM, and 4 is though. Could be like MoM and not be as intense on developing fresh assets and stuff so maybe they could get that out in 2021 / 2022.
HmmMMmmmMMmm... I wonder how big of a game that project could be. Maybe it could be bigger than MoM, but not as big as KH3? Like a sort of middle point.

Then again, like everyone else on this forum, I’m not a game dev and games take longer to make so who knows! 🤷🏼‍♂️
I presume video game developments are handled like project managements. You've got a Director that oversees the entire project and a Sub-Director who micromanages more while the other Directors, Event Planner, Composer, etc. report to Nomura. I presume video game development is like a typical office: the workload is on auto pilot, there's a workload and there are status meetings.

Yes, they do. Also after Frozen 2, even a lot of adults changed their mind about Olaf (myself included).

He tests really well with children. His morbid humor and quirky nature just hits well with that audience.
My brain farted and read this in Olaf's voice, LOL.

KH4 is 100% gonna be a next gen only. hopefully using UE5 and all the other next gen stuff.
Unrelated, but I'll be salty if they don't finish the VII Remake project in the PS4 as well :(

the red monster

Awards
Yep. Good points.

Very good points. IF they choose to go for PS4 or PS4 and 5 or just PS5, I presume that Unreal Engine 5 facilitates the "porting" on work done on a previous engine version, were they to make KH4 multiplat.

HmmMMmmmMMmm... I wonder how big of a game that project could be. Maybe it could be bigger than MoM, but not as big as KH3? Like a sort of middle point.

I presume video game developments are handled like project managements. You've got a Director that oversees the entire project and a Sub-Director who micromanages more while the other Directors, Event Planner, Composer, etc. report to Nomura. I presume video game development is like a typical office: the workload is on auto pilot, there's a workload and there are status meetings.

My brain farted and read this in Olaf's voice, LOL.

Unrelated, but I'll be salty if they don't finish the VII Remake project in the PS4 as well :(
I doubt FFVIIR will even finish on ps5 lmao. it takes 3 years to get each part out.
FFVIIR2 should be out around 2022-2023 too, so i don't see it running on PS4.

Foxycian

Awards
Frozen 2 was better then frozen 1 in my opinion, the songs were great and the story was simple and fresh.

Neo_

Awards
Pre-production on what will most likely be Kingdom Hearts 4 also allegedly began in November 2019, several months after the release of Kingdom Hearts III but a couple of months before Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind.
Remind me why KH3 took so long to come out again... cause Toy Story needed to be in the game?

I'm really just salty cause I would've liked to have seen a 2008 KH3 over a 2019 one, not only to eliminate the wait, but I'd also be curious what they'd have chosen instead of BH6, Frozen and Tangled.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Remind me why KH3 took so long to come out again... cause Toy Story needed to be in the game?

I'm really just salty cause I would've liked to have seen a 2008 KH3 over a 2019 one, not only to eliminate the wait, but I'd also be curious what they'd have chosen instead of BH6, Frozen and Tangled.

If Pixar was still available and there were still only 7 worlds my guess would be
Hercules
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
At World's End (Might've been too soon though since the movie came out in 2007)
Incredibles
Hunchback (2008 so no DDD)
Jungle Book

Like it or hate it, numeral titled KH games are likely gonna go with newer Disney stuff like Moana or the Pixar stuff that remains unused. Anything that's not that is probably "side game" material now.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I'm really just salty cause I would've liked to have seen a 2008 KH3 over a 2019 one,
Remember that KH3 (and really, all of the KH games post 2) took so long to come out because of FF14 disaster and other SE mismanagement. They basically had to do a total restructure from inside out. Development on the KH games after 3 was crazy hampered, because SE needed to make deals with Nintendo and Sony for their other platforms in order to churn a profit (developing for the PS3 was and never will be easy)

2 quid is good

Awards
Fortunately ReMind came out and that definitely felt like it was done for the fans and only us. So good!
Doesn't this worry anyone else? What if future KH games follow the pattern of a base game being a Disney fiesta and the dlc being catered to more hardcore fans. I can deal with it happening in this case but I certainly don't want that to happen again

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Doesn't this worry anyone else? What if future KH games follow the pattern of a base game being a Disney fiesta and the dlc being catered to more hardcore fans. I can deal with it happening in this case but I certainly don't want that to happen again
I honestly would be surprised, if that will be the formula. The main selling point for those outside of the fan base, are the Disney worlds, so seeing they move the units I feel they'll get priority.

Plus putting the fan catered stuff in DLC is a sure fire way to sell that DLC, seeing they're the ones willing to fork over the cash.

2 quid is good

Awards
I honestly would be surprised, if that will be the formula. The main selling point for those outside of the fan base, are the Disney worlds, so seeing they move the units I feel they'll get priority.

Plus putting the fan catered stuff in DLC is a sure fire way to sell that DLC, seeing they're the ones willing to fork over the cash.
Yeah I understand how it'll make financial sense for Square but that just sounds really depressing to me, that the KH game that I would most be pleased with would be locked behind a paywall

Noivern

Awards
Geez, this thread surely was.. a lot, lol.

I think people have a lot.. of residual anger towards Frozen as an IP because of how much Disney pushed it, but I think it was a really cool movie and all the kids I know love it as well.
You know. The target audience.

Haven't seen 2 yet but I know it's considered a much better movie and features more to work with as well (and the better soundtrack. I love Into the unknow SO MUCH.)

As for the world itself: I agree that Arandelle was probably the worst world in 3. But I felt the same towards Port Royale in 2 and I hate that franchise with passion. Turns out The Caribbean was probably my favorite world in 3, or at least the one I have the most memories of.

I'm personally excited to see what they'll do with this whenever we do get a fourth entry in the main series.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This has crossed my mind for future big title KH games, like for KH4. I would not like that because I remember by San Fransokyo I stopped caring about the Disney plot and was rushing the game. I enjoyed the ReMind/Limitcut dlc more then base KH3, but I wouldn't want that to be a norm.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
At World's End (Might've been too soon though since the movie came out in 2007)
Even better, we would've got the superior Dead Man's Chest.

Geez, this thread surely was.. a lot, lol.

I think people have a lot.. of residual anger towards Frozen as an IP because of how much Disney pushed it, but I think it was a really cool movie and all the kids I know love it as well.
You know. The target audience.

Haven't seen 2 yet but I know it's considered a much better movie and features more to work with as well (and the better soundtrack. I love Into the unknow SO MUCH.)
Yes, there's a lot of online rage directed at Frozen, not simply among KH fans... Well, tough cookie because Frozen is great, and definitely better than the other Disney Revival films, imo. TP&TF is the only other one I'm overly fond of. Moana was alright and Tangled grew on me thanks to the TV series being awesome.

I listened to the soundtrack before seeing the film, too. "Into the Unknown" was good beforehand, but I thought the scene itself really elevated the song. Speaking of the songs, I wonder if / when they do Frozen 2 in KH, if it'll include a few of the songs like "Let It Go" and "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" in KH3. If they only do one of the songs, I hope they pick "Show Yourself." That one was gorgeous and makes me tear up a bit during the film.

Last edited:

Mog

Awards
Arendelle better not become the new Atlantica/Agrabah.

Would rather they not include this world if Disney demands such a control over its content. We know how that turned out in KH3. A waste of time that did not even make narrative sense as a contained world in the game, with the omission of Hans.

If Nomura can negotiate more creative control from the getgo it could be somewhat entertaining. Not hyped for it in any scenario though. I am of the opinion that Kingdom Hearts needs to start pushing the ratio of worlds in the favour of original worlds, not Disney ones. It doesn't need them any longer.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
No. To the best of my memories, Toy Story has been a property that Nomura has been wanting to implement ever since the very first KH game. Other titles he's been trying to put in have been the Jungle Book and Treasure Planet.

Besides that point, KH3 took a long time to come out since it's announcement way back in 2013 because they lost, allegedly, a year worth of dev time (some of us argue that they lost a lot more, considering how butchered the original properties of KH are).

I'm really just salty cause I would've liked to have seen a 2008 KH3 over a 2019 one,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nomura himself say that he was not satisfied with how limited the PS3 was in terms of implementing his vision towards what KH3 ended up being in the PS4?

but I'd also be curious what they'd have chosen instead of BH6, Frozen and Tangled.
Would be complicated to answer, seeing as how release after release it was criticized that the Worlds added nothing to the overarching narrative of the game. Whereas KH3, each World had its own story that either explicitly told you how it adds to the grand scheme of things, or foreshadows what's going to happen (the Toybox world's heart being split into two to experiment the behavior of split hearts foreshadowing Xion's return).

KH3 had a... complicated dev cycle. I'm convinced that SE's management will push Nomura to release DLC for KH4, but I'm sure it'll be another case of a single piece of DLC. What could be a norm is that we'll get a "mainline" KH game and then a piece of DLC that foreshadows the next game. I don't think we'll get a plethora of DLC with customizing options, bosses, etc.

Nomura himself said that building a world as DLC from the ground up would be too much work. If Re:MIND is any sort of precedent, only a fraction of the main KH dev team will be purposed to work on DLC, meaning that it would take too much time for a small team to develop something as big as a KH3 scale world.

I'm gonna be conservative and expect nothing of KHwhatever's iteration of the Frozen 2 world. Arendelle personally felt to me like a chore, and this is coming after playing the Caribbean, which was basically a barebones fast forward of the two Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Though I'm hopeful that the Frozen 2 world will be AT LEAST better than KH3's Arandelle. Other than that, we'll have to see the Japanese fandom's reception towards the Frozen world and see how they expressed their sentiment in the game's survey (Q&A's).

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Nomura himself said that building a world as DLC from the ground up would be too much work. If Re:MIND is any sort of precedent, only a fraction of the main KH dev team will be purposed to work on DLC, meaning that it would take too much time for a small team to develop something as big as a KH3 scale world.
I think you misunderstood me or maybe i just wasn't clear. I think that KH games will always prioritize the realization of the Disney Worlds for the main games release.

Meaning that the original conetent we fans are mostly here for will tend to get the short end of the stick and might be religated to most being realized in the DLC. Which would be a shame if all the meaning ful interactions and story beats are,behind an additional paywall.

Back