• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Script Style: Good or Bad?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
I'm making a topic about this because it's so flipping annoying to see users' fics being torn apart, because losers have to say: "OMG DIS IS 2 DESCIRPTIVE! CN U PLZ GIT BACK 2 TEH STOREY?!" Or: "Oh, my gosh, script style, you should die right now." So, here's a place where we can discuss and debate Script Style.

I for one, do NOT like it. I think it lacks description, it's a sad excuse for writing, and I don't like the people who claim to be authors just because they can throw together a couple of words with a colon and asterisks. In case you don't know, here's an example of Script Style.

Sora: Riku, do you want to go to the kitchen?
Riku: Not if you're gonna pull any of that yaoi stuff on me.
Sora: I quit, remember? *walks into hall way*

Most of the time, though, people type like this. You gotta factor in the illiteracy.

Sora: Riku do u want 2 go 2 teh kitcehn?
Riku: Not if ur gonna b gay.
Sora: i wont.*walks into kitchen*

Now, look at a descriptive version of this stuff.

Sora shifted uncomfortably, rolling back and forth on his heels. He stared at the carpeted floor before asking, "Riku, do you want to go into the kitchen?" His companion stared at him, folding his arms and giving him a doubtful look.

"Not if you're going to pull any of that yaoi stuff on me," the older boy warned. Sora rolled his eyes, wishing Riku would forget about that.

"I quit that, remember?" Without another glance, Sora strode into the kitchen, surrounded suddenly by its white walls and gleaming appliances.

See how it can change? I mean, I know script style is perfect for SCRIPTS and things like that, but for stories, you should be using proper prose. This seems like an excuse for people to write BADLY. How can you call yourself an author when you can't even spell it correctly? I'm not saying that ALL script-stylers are illiterate, but a good deal of them really don't try. It annoys me, and I really want to hear their excuses--Oh, I'm sorry, their argument-- on this.

The chapters are too short, too. Just remembered that. >.>; I'm not saying you can't make the occasional mistake, but this just goes too far.

Sterling_Silver

Dagadut.
Pickle teh pwnage (TheLonePickle) said:
I for one, do NOT like it. I think it lacks description, it's a sad excuse for writing, and I don't like the people who claim to be authors just because they can throw together a couple of words with a colon and asterisks. In case you don't know, here's an example of Script Style.

Most of the time, though, people type like this. You gotta factor in the illiteracy.

The chapters are too short, too. Just remembered that. >.>; I'm not saying you can't make the occasional mistake, but this just goes too far.

PREACH. I doubt any of us could've said it any better. But the n00bs are gonna cry when they read this. =P

EDIT: My bad. Not n00bs. Authors. >.<

Mr.

Thelonepickle said:
I'm making a topic about this because it's so flipping annoying to see users' fics being torn apart, because losers have to say: "OMG DIS IS 2 DESCIRPTIVE! CN U PLZ GIT BACK 2 TEH STOREY?!" Or: "Oh, my gosh, script style, you should die right now." So, here's a place where we can discuss and debate Script Style.

Sora: Riku do u want 2 go 2 teh kitcehn?
Riku: Not if ur gonna b gay.
Sora: i wont.*walks into kitchen*

Now, look at a descriptive version of this stuff.

Sora shifted uncomfortably, rolling back and forth on his heels. He stared at the carpeted floor before asking, "Riku, do you want to go into the kitchen?" His companion stared at him, folding his arms and giving him a doubtful look.

"Not if you're going to pull any of that yaoi stuff on me," the older boy warned. Sora rolled his eyes, wishing Riku would forget about that.

"I quit that, remember?" Without another glance, Sora strode into the kitchen, surrounded suddenly by its white walls and gleaming appliances.

See how it can change? I mean, I know script style is perfect for SCRIPTS and things like that, but for stories, you should be using proper prose. This seems like an excuse for people to write BADLY. How can you call yourself an author when you can't even spell it correctly? I'm not saying that ALL script-stylers are illiterate, but a good deal of them really don't try. It annoys me, and I really want to hear their excuses--Oh, I'm sorry, their argument-- on this.

FO SHO. >3

*agrees with completely*

Anonymous

Little 'Ol Me
I agree almost completely, but as you stated, there are those occasional scripts that just rule, and are easily better than some "literate" stories.

So, I agree.

Most people (not authors, a real author can actually write descriptively) use script style to escape the "hassle" of actually coming up with adjectives and adverbs to add descrition to the story.

TSora

R.O.X.A.S #5
Denmark(some people, coughEngulfedcough, think it'
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have said this before, and I will say it again...It depends on flavor...Every person doesn't alike...We're different...Some love the simple writing, and others like the big complex...I like both, but because me and my friend have been writing a comedy without any real story, then we're using script-style...And that's also what we're used to...Just look at the Create you own cutscene thread...

Mr.

TSora said:
I have said this before, and I will say it again...It depends on flavor...Every person doesn't alike...We're different...Some love the simple writing, and others like the big complex...I like both, but because me and my friend have been writing a comedy without any real story, then we're using script-style...And that's also what we're used to...Just look at the Create you own cutscene thread...

That 'fanfiction' isn't 'comedy'.
It's retarded bull, that's what it is.

I have seen a few people EASILY use script to make a comedy FAR better than the fanfiction you defended, TSora.

And I've seen comedy FAR better than using script with regular style.

Don't make excuses to use script.

Script = retarded bullshit.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
^I agree. Won't pretend I don't.

I'm just saying, would it KILL them to put spaces after their punctuation? Would it KILL them to describe an action rather than just putting little symbols around it? I really want to hear someone's take on script is better.

<.< >.>; Not that I'd tear 'em apart or anything. <.< >.>;

TSora

R.O.X.A.S #5
Denmark(some people, coughEngulfedcough, think it'
Website
www.freewebs.com
Mr. said:
That 'fanfiction' isn't 'comedy'.
It's retarded bull, that's what it is.

I have seen a few people EASILY use script to make a comedy FAR better than the fanfiction you defended, TSora.

And I've seen comedy FAR better than using script with regular style.

Don't make excuses to use script.

Script = retarded bullshit.

You know what?...Weren't this thread created, so we could discuss this proberly, and don't get insulted and flamed just because you post your own opinion about this...
You're just doing the very same thing like you did on our FF thread...Insulting and flaming...Should we continue with the civillized talking

I like to use Script style, because...That's just what I like...I like the simple touch to it...:D...

Last edited:

Souretsu Gear

Nostalgia Tripping
I am just saying this and then leaving so that means that I am not taking sides. People type/write in there own ways either language, shape or form as the begginning members end up typing in a way that people won't really understand and for experienced members, they well most likely combine literate and script writing or take on a more literate and discriptive challenge. Sure maybe the new members are really good in discriptive, literate stories because of experiance or taht we have a person who has a high GPA in school (Being serious) and are best at making great stories. Here maybe some things why people use script. Its either they wan't to be a director in plays and/or movies, that they are inclined to script typing and still are getting through the process of becoming more discriptive person in stories or they just want to make a quick chapter and are really lazy. Some people catch on quick and some people won't. Well thats all I will say, for now.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Eh, without descriptions, I get headaches reading it -_-

Cloud_Unchained

Hooray! Hooray!
TSora said:
You know what?...Weren't this thread created, so we could discuss this proberly, and don't get insulted and flamed just because you post your own opinion about this...
You're just doing the very same thing like you did on our FF thread...Insulting and flaming...Should we continue with the civillized talking

I like to use Script style, because...That's just what I like...I like the simple touch to it...:D...

Simple? Or just lazy? Too many people are saying that Simplicity Is Best. I agree. Especially in toddler books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back