• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Severe boredom.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
So guys, pretty much as the title says.

It's this kind of feeling you get when you have nothing to look forward to in life and nothing you feel worth living for.

I've been having a lot of different problems for the past 2-3 years. Some socially, some mentally and some having to do with teasing in school and such other clichè teenager crap.

One of the bigger current issues is trying to socialize with people, at birthday celebrations or at clubs and meetings with people I had never met before, especially since I'm now in an age where young people love to go out, drink and party with their friends (I often have to join in things like these). The same problems apply to me trying to have/keep up a proper conversation/small talk with other people I don't know so well.

I just often feel misplaced and care too much about what kind of impression I make on others. Thus, I often get nervous when talking to other people, make a fool out of myself, rather stay reserved and avoid contact as much as possible, etc.. Of course I try to integrate myself a bit into the community here and there wherever I can, only does it never really seem to work out that well.
This whole shyness might also come from me having been bullied a lot in past grades in school, often because of my Asian looks. That definitely influenced my self-confidence and my overall way of thinking about myself. It's hard to get rid of something like that.

Often I find myself avoiding crowded places, big parties and such. I rather just stay secluded in my room most of the day. Then, when I see other people in my age who effortlessly get along with all sorts of other teens, having fun at parties and enjoying themselves, I wonder why I'm not able to do that.

Another big problem I'm dealing with is my pretty low self esteem, I guess. I'm not really a very strong person, neither am I very good looking. That's just the way it is. I weep easily, get intimidated quickly and always try to please everybody.
I often try to toughen up when it comes to confrontations and I practice Taek-Won-Do too, but that doesn't change too much, especially not the way I see myself, in my opinion.

I'm pretty worried about how I'll live in future with all these problems. Due to my low self esteem and seclusion from parties, meeting with friends and other leisure activities outside, my life has become rather boring. My usual weekdays consist merely of school, sitting at home the rest of the day and going to TKD lessons. There's really nothing special in my life anymore, which takes me back to my first sentence in this post and the title.

There's just nothing that I can look forward to at all in life anymore. There are no real heights or lows in my life at the moment. I dont see anything big changing about that in future either.
It kind of gets me thinking what I'm actually living for and why I still go through the everyday hassle of socializing, bullying (which has pretty much gone down to a minimum by now) and school. Seems like I'm just killing time for the lulz.
I've had thoughts about depression and suicide a lot before but I don't think I've ever been this close to it.

(Now I want to clear up though, that I'm not trying to sound like an emo, a wuss or an attention whore that cries for some "don't worry if you ever need a friend just pm me suicide is not the right thing" shit or anything like that. I'm just trying to describe my thoughts as close as possible here.)

So, some advice or comments from people who've been through similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
That...sounds a lot like me. xD

Well, my advice is to keep trying to better yourself. It's not like you're born as an unsocial person or anything, we're all pretty much the same in my opinion. Maybe you just need practice, like having people over more often and stuff. Don't write yourself off yet, essentially.

As for having nothing to live for, well, what makes you happy? Or excited to do?
Explore that kind of thing, I dunno. Find a hobby. (sounds lame, sorry. xD)
But when I get those kinds of thoughts I just say I'm thinking too much and make myself do something productive.

Uh, hope this helps?
It's kind of hard to give advice to someone with problems similar to your own, lol.

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
In short since I am coming up with a more thorough version for later:

Life has its own set of ups and downs, more downs then ups though.
And I was just in a slump myself, which fortunately, got myself out of.

Simply put, in time your situation will change, but you have to do something about it.
I'm coming up with more so no flaming if that sounded blunt, or Leonard, we could take this up privately?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
It's this kind of feeling you get when you have nothing to look forward to in life and nothing you feel worth living for.

It's called atheism :]

All jokes aside, try to set goals for your life and aim to achieve them, that's where all the fun in life comes from. Making yourself busy to achieve the things you want to do before you die. Although in all honesty, unless you believe in some sort of afterlife/God, the harsh reality to you IS that all you have to look forward to is dying, rotting away with insects cleaning out your cavities, and having your molecules being reused, with all your life's possessions meaning absolutely nothing.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
As for having nothing to live for, well, what makes you happy? Or excited to do?

Well, that's another thing. Whenever I'm asked this kind of question I can never come up with a good answer. I can't think of anything that I get involved with so much that I could call it a real "hobby".

Still, thanks for the advice Ref. :]

Well, my advice is to keep trying to better yourself. It's not like you're born as an unsocial person or anything, we're all pretty much the same in my opinion. Maybe you just need practice, like having people over more often and stuff. Don't write yourself off yet, essentially.

Simply put, in time your situation will change, but you have to do something about it.

As I said, I've tried before to become a more social person. Trying to open up more and try to get some small talk skills. But unfortunately I haven't seen much progress with recent attempts, it's more of a "one step forward, two steps back" sort of thing. Something always seems to go wrong.

Also, this whole feeling uncomfortable around such crowded places is something that's just fixed itself into my mind over time. I don't think it'll be easy to get rid of that.

I'm coming up with more so no flaming if that sounded blunt, or Leonard, we could take this up privately?

Of course we can if you want to. Whichever works better for you.

Although in all honesty, unless you believe in some sort of afterlife/God, the harsh reality to you IS that all you have to look forward to is dying, rotting away with insects cleaning out your cavities, and having your molecules being reused, with all your life's possessions meaning absolutely nothing.

I might just have to edit my first post with this. It describes the way I think about life perfectly.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
I agree.

You're bored? Get a hobby. Goddamn.

Cicero

Visionary
If you are bored of your life as it is, then why live it this way? What is it that you really want to do? Besides all the influences from outside and the life you've been given by all your choices up till now: what is your greatest wish?

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
You're bored? Get a hobby. Goddamn.

If it were that easy, I don't think I would've taken the time to come up with this entire thread and that wall of text for that.

If you are bored of your life as it is, then why live it this way? What is it that you really want to do? Besides all the influences from outside and the life you've been given by all your choices up till now: what is your greatest wish?

I don't think that I have such a "greatest wish" in my life at all. This is probably one of the things I'd have to work on first.

However it is easy to just say "get a goal" or "aim for something", but I'm not entirely sure how to approach that. That's why I think people who've been through similar things could help me out best which is also why I posted all of this here.

Last edited:

rockin riku

that actually sounds a bit like me

like in school i have been in my english class for two years and when the teacher called out my name some acctually said who is she. I sometimes think that if i did go no one would notice or care. I also try to get on with people but i don't really talk much because i'm afraid of affending somebody so i would usually keep my mouth shut. i would get bullied alot to especially because i have ginger hair which i am proud of cause it makes me different and i wouldn't die it for the world.

some people just don't like people which are differnet and thats life we just have to live with it. Just think you are different for a reason your not like every Tom Dick and Harry. Iwould spend all my time in the house except when i go to gymnastics alot like you in that way. i sound like some crazy women which tells you to look withen for inner beauty or some thing lol.
Any way who cares what others think i have nothing to live for either bt i would never give up on life cause thats failure. so i'm gonna keep living it to the full. i want to do everything like bungee jumping adn sky diving why not. have fun with life while you still have it. thats all i have to say.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Hey Dogen quit trying to force your religion on everybody.

Agreed. I realize you're probably not trying to offend anyone, but it's rather unflattering, and unecessary. Keep your feelings toward non-religion in the Religious section, please.

Anyway, this situation of yours sounds horribly similar to the one I'm in right now. And honestly, what can I tell you? I realize it's probably not the best lifestyle ever, but I've just learned to stop caring and have become comfortable with it. My interests and goals are enough to keep me entertained, at least for the moment. I could probably make some effort towards changing the lifestyle I've set up for myself, but I honestly don't really feel the need to, most of the time. It's not like I HAVE to really super popular have a shitton of friends, party like a dirty animal every week, and so on and so forth.

If you want to do something about it, well, you'll just have to try and find a way to become more comfortable with yourself, whether that be putting some effort into changing so as to socialize better, or just accept yourself as you are. If you want to set up some goals...well, do you have any ideas for what you'd like to do for your profession? What do you like to do?

Last edited:

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Any way who cares what others think i have nothing to live for either bt i would never give up on life cause thats failure. so i'm gonna keep living it to the full. i want to do everything like bungee jumping adn sky diving why not. have fun with life while you still have it. thats all i have to say.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. :]

Anyway, this situation of yours sounds horribly similar to the one I'm in right now. And honestly, what can I tell you? I realize it's probably not the best lifestyle ever, but I've just learned to stop caring and have become comfortable with it. My interests and goals are enough to keep me entertained, at least for the moment. I could probably make some effort towards changing the lifestyle I've set up for myself, but I honestly don't really feel the need to, most of the time. It's not like I HAVE to really super popular have a shitton of friends, party like a dirty animal every week, and so on and so forth.

To be honest, I don't feel completely uncomfortable with this secluded lifestyle. I can't imagine living like a party animal or changing into that kind of direction either. It's just that I'm worrying about how I should carry on from here and how I'll keep going.

Your principle of "making the best out of the situation" (if I got that correctly) does however seem like a good idea. Maybe that can change my ways of thinking a little. Thanks a bunch.

It's really hard to describe everything 100%, I just noticed. :/

Cicero

Visionary
I don't think that I have such a "greatest wish" in my life at all. This is probably one of the things I'd have to work on first.

However it is easy to just say "get a goal" or "aim for something", but I'm not entirely sure how to approach that. That's why I think people who've been through similar things could help me out best which is also why I posted all of this here.

I have been through similar situations. [Life story here] And eventually I found my way of getting out of them. Its as easy as it sounds: forget everything for a moment, your whole life. Then, detached from everything, decide what you want to do, and if you get back to reality again...do it. Another tip maybe is to go do something that you would never think of doing. Or, like I to do some times, just go crazy: life is as fun as you make it.

Well, that's my opinion anyway, I hope you can use the tips to some extend. ^^

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
tl;dr

I did skim through it, however. It sounds like typical teenage issues. And, if that is the case, everyone gets through it.

frisson

Silver Member
Dude believe in yourself.

lolz my drill yu belvie in rawr cliche phrase I know, but it's pretty simple.

You don't need some divine being or greater purpose in life to live for. You should live for yourself. Give yourself purpose and all that jazz. It really is that simple. You're just complicating the situation for yourself.

Or you could just get a death note.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
when you get out there in life
it's not as simple as sitting down and being comfortable with what happens
in your life, because there are a lot of things that happen that literally yank you
outta that comfort zone. In return, you have to be bold and confident, like going up to girls
and finding one you can get on a date, making friends outside of your usual social zone,
going to the gym, going to clubs, and so on.....

it sounds iffy
but this is what i've done, so when
i go places i always meet somebody i know
and we hang out or do some crazy shit
to make the day better then the last.
If nothing, i usually watch a movie at the theater
or take my girlfriend to the theater (which is okay
but ends up being whatever she wants to see).

In any case, my days out of work are pretty fun
and when i'm bored, i'm here.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Its as easy as it sounds: forget everything for a moment, your whole life. Then, detached from everything, decide what you want to do, and if you get back to reality again...do it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that. :]

I did skim through it, however. It sounds like typical teenage issues.

Thought so, there seem to be loads of other people with exactly the same issues.
Well, I live in a rather peaceful town with a probably slightly different lifestyle so it's good to know that.

when you get out there in life
it's not as simple as sitting down and being comfortable with what happens
in your life, because there are a lot of things that happen that literally yank you
outta that comfort zone. In return, you have to be bold and confident, like going up to girls
and finding one you can get on a date, making friends outside of your usual social zone,
going to the gym, going to clubs, and so on.....

You know, it's just not as easy to just go out and try to "be confident" as many people put it. Some people have the "ability" to just go out and have fun and some people just don't. Everyone has their individual needs and their own level of self-confidence, I'm afraid.

frisson

Silver Member
I'm afraid.
See there's your problem. Everyone is afraid. Everyone gets scared. Even these people who you think freely do what they want, when they want.

But if you allow fear of consequence to rule your actions, then you'll never meet the desired outcome. People aren't "born" confident, they've just been lucky enough to realise this simple fact sooner than others.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
See there's your problem. Everyone is afraid. Everyone gets scared. Even these people who you think freely do what they want, when they want.

But if you allow fear of consequence to rule your actions, then you'll never meet the desired outcome. People aren't "born" confident, they've just been lucky enough to realise this simple fact sooner than others.

This is what I was trying to say in my first post. It is sort of debatable and there's no way to know for sure, but for the most part, everyone's the same.
Everyone has to get through their nervousness and stuff, and maybe others make it look easy. So if you don't do anything about it now, you may stay bored like this for a while.
Just give it a chance, and you'll break out of your shell, if you really want to.

Last edited:

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
It sounds like typical teenage issues. And, if that is the case, everyone gets through it.

Are you sure about that?

Or you could just get a death note.

Hahahaha...seriously.

Lenny, you're not alone. I have the same problems as you as well. We all feel like we don't belong and etc. but you know what? There are going to be times like that and you're just gonna have to cope with it. Have you looked at yourself and wanted to improve and know what you can improve on? If you can, I'm pretty sure that some of it will help because I knew I had also had "problems" with myself and I changed and things started to look brighter for me. Try that or don't give up on life what has to offer, some things might be pretty boring and down for you now but look on the different side, like look forward to what you like and want to do and I'm sure from then on, you'll be able to at least think about the "future" in a different aspect, not to mention as well as try to get new friends or hang around people you enjoy being around if you're "bored" or feel like you don't connect, that' what I would do. Do you know anybody in real life that has no or little friends, maybe you could get together with them or something. You don't have to talk about life's little problems or whatever but see if you can at least improve on your social skills and stuff. And don't be so down on yourself, you're a nice person and I'm pretty sure many people or some people don't see that and when you're at social events like a party, it may not be easy since some of them are like clones...if you get what I mean. Anyway, that's all I can offer. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back