• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► She's Famous Now ((Entry #3 for the M.S. Contest))

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
YO, MUFFIN STUFFAHS!

Have fun readin' this here fanfic. It's Riku/Kairi, cause you don't see them fics around much. Ecks Dee. Anyway, no lemons. I'm not about that. No cursing. I'm about that, but only in my head. Ecks Dee.

Let's get started up in here!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riku sighed, pulling a light-weight, dark gray sweatshirt over his ebony, form-fitting t-shirt. Emblazoned on the shirt was the logo and name of his band, "Twilight-night". A surprisingly deep name for a punk-metal band, he knew, but it suited them. Cloud, a boy just two years Riku's senior, and Squall, the oldest of the group, were similar in personality towards our silver-haired protagonist. Quiet and reserved. Unless it came to defending your loved ones. Then they were unstoppable.

Still, the steely-haired youth was the oddball in the group. He had a funny, stubborn side. Riku listened to ska bands and happier punk on the side. He told jokes, and he had one best friend that was completely crazy. They were incredibly different, but Riku felt so safe joking around with Sora. He could ignore all the troubles in life just by hanging out with the dumb-brunette.

Riku kicked one of Sora's shoes out of his way as he stepped over to his closet. Sora was constantly leaving his stuff in Riku's room. The brunette spent a lot of time there with Riku and their over-priced gaming console. It didn't matter. Sora would be at Riku's house in a few minutes to pick up the hideous, over-sized yellow shoe. It was easy for Riku to picture the goofy, blue-eyed boy sockless. It happened often enough.

Riku buttoned the spiked leather collar he was holding around his neck, grabbed his backpack, and started to walk downstairs. His uncle, unfortunately, woke up soon enough to criticize the gray-haired boy's outfit. Riku rolled his sea-green orbs, not stopping to listen to his uncle's crude, drunken remarks about the boy's long, dark-green shorts, heavy black boots, and unzipped sweatshirt blowing in the wind. He yelled about Riku's long, "abnormally" coloured hair- Riku had told him it was all natural, but that had done no good. In fact, the grumpy, intoxicated relative insulted his nephew right until Riku closed the door, opened it, swore at his uncle, and then slammed the door.

Riku ran a hand through his silver hair, trying in vain to calm it as it whipped around in the morning breeze. His teal eyes, eye-lids drooping lazily and yet seeing all, suddenly spied a bouncy, spikey brown mass. It was.. floating in the strangest way. He grinned. Sora's head.

Sure enough, two bright blue orbs sparkled in the light. The brunette had that stupid grin on his face... But something was different.

"Hey, Sora." Riku laughed, punching Sora in the shoulder. Sora feigned a hurt face. He crossed his arms, drumming his fingers on his elbow. He frowned. It was the Sora Pout.

Riku crossed his arms, too. "You gotta try harder than that, my friend. Doesn't work on me."

Sora laughed. "Yeah, I know. It only works on gays and fangirls.'

Riku looked bewildered. "Does your mommy know you say that? And what fangirls are you talking about?"

Normally, Sora would've rolled around laughing. He was that obnoxious. But this time, he just rubbed a hand through his hair.

"Aha. I knew something was wrong," Riku thought, suspiciously. He crossed his muscled arms behind his head, tapping the toe of his right shoe on the ground; a nervous habit. "What is it, Sora?"

Sora smiled, nervously. He looked from the right to the left and then down. He rubbed the back of his head nervously. "I was wondering..."

Sora mumbled something incoherent. Riku was losing his patience, but he couldn't be that mad at Sora. There was no way. Riku patiently asked, "What?"

Sora took a deep breath. As they walked to school, he dropped his hand. Shoving his right hand into a pocket in his dark shorts, he tugged at a lock of hair in front of his ear with his left hand. "I've been talking to her, and she's been talking to me... So I was wondering... Do you think it'd be alright if I asked Kairi.. out?"

Riku stopped in mid-step. He blinked once, and then he went on, mentally shaking his head. "You mean, like... On a date. Right?"

Sora looked at his friend, sapphire eyes pleading to Riku and pouring out apologies in advance. He nodded.

Riku stared ahead. That was hard. He stared at Sora hard. Staring into those deep blue eyes and stupid, nervous half-smile made him think of the way they used to compete.

FLAAAAAAASH BAAAAAACK! o.o

"Paper, Rock, Scissors!" The two boys chanted, for the seventh time, each coming up with a different symbol. Riku held up two fingers like a pair of scissors. Sora held up five, spread out wide. Riku looked down at him.

"Sora. That's not rock or scissors. That's not even paper. That's a-"

"-That's a paopu. As in, I get to share it with Kairi," Sora said, triumphantly. Riku stared at him. They had been arguing over who had to apologize to Wakka for giving him chocolate and having him break out in hives in front of Selphie, who he had been taken with at the time. Or Tidus. Hard to tell.

"No," Riku said seriously. "You don't. I do. Kairi's in love with me. She said."

"She did not."

"She did."

"Well, I already told her I love her."

"Well, she's the only girl I'll ever love, Sora."

"Well, I really could care less, Riku."

"Well, listen, Sora. You just said that you could care less. That means you care."

"Shut up, Riku."

"Your pull-ups are showing, Sora."

"WHERE?!" Sora chased himself in a little circle before he realized it. "Hey! I'm not wearing pull-ups! I quit those when I was five!"

"FIVE?!" Riku exploded into laughter. "I was out of those at two!"

Sora turned a bright crimson. "Well... Well... You can have Kairi. I've got a girl from some other world. And she can fly."

"She cannot!" Riku said, folding his arms.

"I do, too. She's a super-model. That means she's like super man, but she's Super-Man-Woman."

"Oh. I get it," Riku said, rolling his eyes. Sora looked excited.

"You do?"

"Yes. I understand that you're full of it." Riku grinned triumphantly.

"Full of what?"

"I don't know. Pull-ups?" Riku shrugged. Sora flushed, sputtering and stuttering. Riku laughed. Kairi stepped up to the two. Riku's breathe was taken away. Sora would've wet himself if he hadn't remembered that he was no longer in pull-ups.

Kairi giggled. "Hi."

Sora and Riku looked at each other. They turned back to Kairi. "EW! GIRL!"

Riku took off running, leaving a shocked Kairi. Sora stood back. He hugged her, and then they each took a step back. He held her hands. "In five years... When we're twelve... We'll get married and share a paopu, and we'll have a dog. Okay?"

Kairi's cheeks became rosier. Her red hair blew in the ocean breeze. "What about Super-Man-Woman?"

Sora hugged Kairi again. "She means nothing to me."

Then, he blew a kiss, and he ran off. Kairi turned to go, when she ran straight into Riku...'s lips.

She stepped back, astounded. Riku had kissed her on the cheek. He also hugged her. Placing a thylassa shell and a black ribbon in her hand, he kissed her cheek again. "Just remember... I will always love you."

Kairi stepped back again. Clutching the shell, the end of the ribbon spilling out of her hand and flying in the wind, she nodded at Riku. He smiled at her.

Then he turned and walked away.

"Yes," Riku said finally to Sora, who was looking patiently into Riku's eyes, looking for an answer. "You can go out."

Sora grabbed Riku's fist and high-fived him. He walked a few feet ahead of Riku, obviously walking on air. He didn't notice that his tall, gray-haired companion swaying behind him.

"You can go out... With my true love." Riku turned, looking at the sky. It seemed a shade darker than when he had come out. Clouds surrounded the sun. Darkness settled in at the corners of the heart of the world. "After all. I blew it with her, right?"

~-~​

Riku sighed, exchanging his text books at lunch time. Picking up his still-loaded back pack, he pulled away from the ugly green locker. Why did Paopu High have to have green and yellow for their school colours? Riku shut the thin metal door. He started to creep away from the lunch room and had almost made it, when...

"Hey, Riku!" Namine called to him. He turned around, trying to turn a grimace into a grin. The blonde girl waved at him from the other end of the hall. She had long, light-gold tresses framing a pale face. Her deep sapphire eyes were shining with happiness. Riku's teal ones looked dull with exasperation.

He waved back at her and pointed towards the library with an apologetic look on his face. Namine nodded understandingly and turned to go to the lunchroom. Riku let out a sigh of relief and turned in the direction of the library.

Namine... Namine was Riku's new girlfriend. He hated using that term with her. Kairi had once held that title. Riku shook away the thoughts of Kairi. Had the whole reason Riku agreed to go out with Namine been out of spite for Kairi? It had been a month after the silver-haired boy broke up with Kairi. Namine had dropped her books, the class was laughing at her, and she was nearly in tears. Riku picked the books up, glared at the class, and helped Namine to her feet. The icy stare he gave the class was enough to keep them from tormenting Namine. It was that day that Namine had asked Riku if he'd go out with her. She had been 'crushing' on him since the sixth grade, it seemed. Now that she was in a sophmore in high school -Riku was a senior- she had worked up the courage to ask him out. Took her a little too long, Riku always thought.

He wouldn't have said yes if Kairi hadn't have been in the room. But she had been. And he stared into her cobalt eyes, put on a huge -and fake- smile, and said yes to Namine's offer. Namine was ecstatic. Kairi was understandably less than. She had deserved it.

But now Namine was being punished. Riku had led her on. And she had followed, ecstatic as a cat chasing a ball of yarn. Riku sometimes felt selfless enough to be sad for Namine. Sometimes. He hated himself now, for acting so selfish. All he ever did was wallow in unhappiness.

But as much as he hated himself, Riku hated Kairi a thousand times more. His pupils contracted and he felt his eyebrows meet in a 'V' as he walked past her in the library. She gave him a look that said "whatever" in the preppiest way possible. It reminded him of the look she had given him when he broke it off between them.

FLASHBACK!

Riku stared at the clock. It had been an hour. Not an hour since the show was over. An hour since Riku had left. At eight, he had drove down to pick Kairi up from some party. He had waited till nine, an hour past when she had said to pick him up, and then he drove away. And another hour had past since then.

It was ten, now. Riku sighed, looking away from the clock. He was waiting for love, when it would not come to him. He was watching T.V. and not seeing the plot. He was listening to a song he knew and now hearing the words. He was waiting patiently in a relationship when his true love had forgotten what was important in life.

Again, the boy exhaled in... What was it? Sadness? Annoyance? Maybe he had given up. Maybe it was time to quit. He stood, walking towards the fridge. Grabbing a soda from the it, he thought about his present situation. He and Kairi were drifting apart.

I've got the measles, and she got the mumps.
I'm sick of waiting by the door in case she comes home.

A car pulled up. Riku looked outside the kitchen window. He saw Sora's little red car. Kairi unbuckled, said something to Sora, and got out of the car after a minute. She walked around the house to the front door while Sora sped away. Riku heard her come in. She sat down, turned the volume up on the T.V., and threw her bag onto the armchair. Then her phone rang. Riku heard her pick it up. His uncle's house was a shack, not a mansion. "Hello?"

"Oh, hey, Sora." Riku closed his eyes. He listened intently to the conversation, no matter how much it hurt. "Yeah, tonight was fun. Call you tomorrow, okay? Bye."

Riku put the soda down, forgetting about it. Maybe he wouldn't have been suspicious if she had been speaking in normal voice.

But she was whispering.

Riku came back in, clearing his throat. He was empty-handed. His hands were shaking, so he stuffed them in his pockets. He sat down next to Kairi, pretending to watch T.V. Looking over at Kairi for a second, he spied a blonde streak in her hair. He flicked it casually.

"What's that about?" He asked in a non-chalant tone. She grabbed the lock of hair instinctively.

"My manager said it'd be cool." She fingered it, annoyed.

Riku nodded. Prep. This was it. "Kairi... We need to talk."

You won't believe it, but don't you want to know.
I let her go, but I can't let her go!
I don't wanna hear it!

Riku shuddered. There had been a lot of fighting. Kairi shot him a look that merely bounced off the shields he had put up. In other words, he sent her an icy stare. Kairi frowned.

"What's the matter, Riku? Did you finally figure out that nobody likes you?"

Riku rolled his eyes, shifting his backpack and sighing as he said, "No, Kairi. I'm just wondering how you could live so long without a brain. Why don't you go back to being a poser, Kairi? Or do you prefer prep now?"

Kairi laughed. "Yeah, that's why I'm performing at the Destiny Nightclub, and your band is playing out of Squall's garage."

"Yeah, Kairi. That's exactly why. 'Cause only sell-outs play at the Destiny Nightclub." Riku's heart tightened. Why did it hurt him to hurt her, when she so clearly started it? He didn't know, but it did. Kairi made a rude gesture, but she turned it into a hair-flip when Sora clumsily stumbled into the room. She smiled at the brunette and flipped her hair again. Sora would've wet himself if he hadn't remembered that he wasn't wearing pull-ups.

Riku just turned and left. He prayed that that'd be the end. But it wasn't so. Riku couldn't escape her. When he turned on T.V., the local news was talking about young Kairi, the aspiring musician. She was on magazines, she was in the newspapers, she was everywhere. Riku kept finding himself gazing into her eyes, getting lost again.

I'm singin' too high tonight, I'm gonna lose my voice
I heard her on the radio don't want to sing along, but I've got no choice
She used to be my girl but now she's famous (she's famous now)
She used to be my girl but now she is famous (she's famous now)
She was just so sweet and now they're fallin' at her feet
She used to be my girl but now she's-

Riku's life was getting steadily worse. He was actually paying attention to Namine, though. She was really nice. She was kind, cute, and she was a great artist. He was actually falling for her. Life seemed to be getting better.

And then it hit rock bottom.

Sitting with her at lunch, Riku put his fries on Namine's plate. She gave him her meat, and the two began eating. Namine's shoulders trembled a little. Riku took off his jacket and put it around her shoulders. "Kinda cloudy today. I'm a bit cold, too."

Namine stared up at him, turning his head so that he faced her. She was crying. Riku's eyes widened.

"Namine-!"

"-Riku... I have to admit something to you. I... It's not you I love. I kind of... Led you on. I have a crush on someone else, but he never noticed me, so I tried to make him jealous."

Riku's eyes widened. He searched her cobalt eyes, looking for some kind of clue. There was nothing but cold, unforgiving sympathy.

Riku hated sympathy. Icy rain drops fell down his back, and he stood up. He gaped at Namine, still searching for the answer. Then, he followed her gaze, as she turned her attention away from him. Riku saw the boy.

The raindrops felt ten degrees colder and hard as stone when Riku saw that Namine was staring after Sora.

Turning to walk away, he wondered if Namine could see the difference between thousands of raindrops and the single tear that round down his cheek.

Weeks later, things only got better for Namine, Kairi, and Sora. Riku tried to ignore it. He tried to forget it all. But he couldn't. His three friends were now nothing to him. Everything had changed between them.

I eat the muscle and she eats the leaves
High cholesterol and heart disease yea
You'll never touch the way that I feel
Just for the record she got the deal
I don't wanna hear it
I'm saying goodbye tonight, I just can't stand the noise
She's signin' autographs, don't wanna say I know her but I've got no choice

Now, it was Namine he was upset about. Or was it more than Namine? Was it still Kairi? Riku didn't even know anymore.

Well she's like me, just not as ugly

Summer break. Riku laid on his stomach in the sand, running his hands through the water. Seafoam crashed against his hand. He pictured an oyster, and how an oyster formed a pearl. Any impurity- a grain of sand that disturbed the oyster's soft inside- could from a pearl. If it made it deep enough, past the hard shell and into the fragile insides of the oyster, it had to be bad. But the oyster would feed something special into it, and turn a wound into something people prized. It could turn any impurity into something beautiful.

Riku had a lot of impurities. Everyone did. Everyone had mistakes in their lives, or bad things that they couldn't avoid.

In the end, all he could do was hope that he was an oyster.

She was just so sweet
She was just so sweet
Famous now​
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End. There. Hope everyone loves it! >.< Yeah. Read it, folks.

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
FLAM IT PEOPLE, POST! I CAN'T BEAT SA'S FIC, BUT FLAM IT! I CAN GET SECOND PLACE, CAN'T I?!

>.> You guys are meanies. K_K, you get to marry Ketso. And Kaze. If you want.

THE REST OF YOU HAVE TO PLAY TEA PARTY WITH SORA FOR THE REST OF YOUR FLAM LIVES!

Ruki

Great fiction, AGAIN! Anyway, hope you keep up your almost flawless work.

TheClamWhisperer

Vampire Fish
ive escaped from my studying solitude...>_>

Anywho! This is was so good Pickle! *applies tissues to eyes* I refuse to cry....*tear falls* CURSES! This was great and I think you did an awesome job ^_^

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Hey, guys. I'm gonna edit the first part so that it's a one-shot. Okay? Okay. >=F That way, GoH will be mad at me. It'll be a one-shot, and ha. So there.

Look back at the first post for new additions.

Ruki

So far I'm liking yours the best. Perhaps something may sway me! Anyway, great ideas and great writing all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back