• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should rereleases be given new scores?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XenonSovereign

The End Boss of KHInsider
A friend and I had a pretty lengthy debate on whether video game re-releases should get a new score. He's pretty upset that most review sites have given Sonic Adventure really low scores compared to what they were given back when it was originally released. The way he sees it, a game that is being rereleased doesn't need to be fixed, it's supposed to be the exact same game as it was during its initial. release. He feels that graphics and gameplay issues should remain the same as they were when it was initially released.

The way I see it, if a game is being re-released (especially over a decade later), then the least the developer can do is fix the issues that slightly crippled the original game. I also believe that because there are new standards in today's gaming community, that the re-released game should meet the minimum standard. Not a complete revamp, but for example, in Sonic Adventure, there are no sound effects for when the cops fire their guns.

Do you think that rereleases should be given new scores?

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I disagree with your friend: in my opinion, rereleases should improve on a game, not simply repackage it. The gameplay should remain more or less constant, but the graphics most definitely have to improve. Otherwise, what differentiates a rerelease from its first release?

I believe that, likewise, a game's score should retain the same melody and style of the original game, but improve to meet current standards; that means not even a whisper of an 8-bit track should come close to the score.

Connie

I disagree with your friend: in my opinion, rereleases should improve on a game, not simply repackage it. The gameplay should remain more or less constant, but the graphics most definitely have to improve. Otherwise, what differentiates a rerelease from its first release?

I believe that, likewise, a game's score should retain the same melody and style of the original game, but improve to meet current standards; that means not even a whisper of an 8-bit track should come close to the score.
I was going to say that rereleases should improve on a game's original flaws. Major complaints reviewers had obviously should be fixed by the developers. If not, what's the point of rereleasing the same old crap?

Graphics and the soundtrack are a given as to what should be changed. That's limited by the technology they have at the time. Improve them as technology improves; the developers have the tools to improve graphics and music. Gameplay flaws I think are just sloppy programming on the part of developers. :/ Like they didn't spend enough time or put enough effort perfecting their game.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Look at Conker 64, when it was rereleased on the Xbox, the graphics were superior and the levels were shortened and some were just made more smoothly. Although they messed with the audio clips to filter out most of the cuss words, which made it less funny. Still, point is they changed it, and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back