• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Similarities in Music and possible connections

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MizuMikomi

Awards
I've noticed Numerous times in the past that many themes in this series sound extremely similar to one another. For example, Dark Impetus and Darkness of the Unknown share the same melody, just with a different tempo in places and instrumentation. The same can be said for Hunter of the Dark and Anti Black Coat's themes as well. That said, I've spoken to people on Gamefaqs and various places about these similarities, and I was basically told to leave because I was a rabid fanboy who was trying to look for connections in places where there weren't.

However, the more I listen to some of the songs, the more similarities I find. As a matter of fact, there are many places in Darkness of the Unknown and Dark Impetus where you could smoothly transition them into each other, I for one think that is intentional due to the nature of who the Mysterious Figure is. The same can be said for Anti Black Coat and his similarities with Hunter of the Dark; before you say its just a heartless...please...stop, I've heard that so many times already. Anyway, both fights take place in Pitch Darkness, the battle themes are identical save for the tempo and instrumentation, and Anti Black Coat has those purple lines going up the side just like Hunter of the Darkness. While its likely he is Just a heartless, while ABC is just a Nightmare...there are similarities and most people ignore them. That annoys me to no end as NOTHING that has been that similar to another element in this series so far have been that way "Just because", its all had a meaning in one way or another.

I could post a huuuuge theory on this alone, but I'd rather structure that in my free time and then post it. So rather, I'd just like to know if anyone else has heard these similarities?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Re: Similarities in Music and possible connections.

I'll keep this short and sweet. This is Kingdom Hearts, if the songs sound similar than it's intentional.

MizuMikomi

Awards

I'll keep this short and sweet. This is Kingdom Hearts, if the songs sound similar than it's intentional.
That is my opinion as well, but most people have told me that I am a rabid fanboy who is chasing fantasies.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

That is my opinion as well, but most people have told me that I am a rabid fanboy who is chasing fantasies.
Then they're wrong. Sites like Gamefaqs can be a cesspool for losers, so I wouldn't recommend posting stuff there.
So post stuff here instead. I like these types a theories.

Sorarocks93

Awards

I assume these people care little about the game? But anyway, they have no idea what they're babbling about. You're right, there are connections. I mean, the whole game is based on connections. So it makes perfect sense to incorporate it into the soundtrack. Most notable are the themes of every version of Master Xehanort.

MizuMikomi

Awards

I assume these people care little about the game? But anyway, they have no idea what they're babbling about. You're right, there are connections. I mean, the whole game is based on connections. So it makes perfect sense to incorporate it into the soundtrack. Most notable are the themes of every version of Master Xehanort.
I now realize why I joined this site, thanks for making me less apprehensive. In a game where every detail matters, and where the number XIII has been a recurring thing since KH1, I'd have to think everything is connected. They care a lot about the series, they even setup a tumblr to 'explain' the series in bullet point format plot point by plot point. I got turned away by most of the popular members on the Kingdom Hearts boards, when really, all I wanted was simple discussion about a series I so dealr love and enjoy.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
A lot of the music in Dream Drop Distance is remixed tracks and new tracks with borrowed elements. So there are bound to be similarities.

Although, the links drawn between (what is factually nameless but I guess we'll call) Hunter of the Dark and Anti Black Coat are very interesting. I mean, it does seem weird that Birth by Sleep Final Mix would add this new episode, and finish it off with what seems to be just a plain ol' Heartless.

Anyway, Yoko Shimomura (along with the guest composers in 3D) don't just make tracks. They make tracks that fit. So there are a lot of thematic similarities between many tracks based on their in-game companions and the situations during which the track is played.

Wander

This is what I love about KH's OST, there's always some notes connecting one song to another. A lot of battle themes are actually remixed character themes. Every Organization theme ever is derived from a segment of Organization XIII, Rage Awakened is a fast paced version of Terra's Theme, Unbreakable Chains is a fustercluck of Sora, Ventus, and Roxas' themes, more obvious examples are The Other Promise with Roxas' Theme, Fate of the Unknown with Aqua's theme, and Guardando nel Buio with Destati. You're also spot on that every incarnation of Xehanort has a theme deriving from Forze del Male (First used by Ansem in the first KH).

It really is a wonderful touch, and I wish more game OST's would do that. :>

Tailikku1

Awards
One thing I noticed in the music for both 358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep is that there are a few tracks which contain snippets of other themes: For instance both Aqua and Ven's themes contain parts of Roxas' theme/The Other Promise and Vanitas' theme contains snippets of both the Other Promise and Sora's theme.

And then there is Xion's theme. On it's own it contains a part of Kairi's theme, reflecting the fact that she is based on Sora's memories of Kairi. Vector to the Heavens contains that same theme but it even includes Dearly Beloved in the mix, reflecting the ammount of shipping that was being tossed around by Xiggy and Axel, as well as their doomed friendship.

MizuMikomi

Awards
I think one of the best examples of remixed and combined theme is Link to All, I can't begin to list all of the themes that are mixed into its composition. I can name a few though! Sora, Ventus, Dearly Beloved, and Aqua...the others don't really seem to stand out much other than those. This is by far one of my favored tracks from Dream Drop Distance, though, since the feeling ti exudes is just amazing~

Silverwarrior

In fact there are so many tracks with links to others, and its why Shimomura is amazing.

Take the track The Dread Of Night, which you mentioned earlier - the starting melody is clearly Hand in Hand/Hand to HAnd

Vector to the heavens has the Organizations Theme playing the bass piano at points!

Darkness of the Unknown obviously contrains the ASAS theme, but has fragments of destati throughout
Dismiss has terra/aqua/the xehanort riff (originating in FDM and then through almost everyone song linked to him) and destati

Tailikku1

Awards
One thing I noticed while listening to "Spooks of Halloweentown" is that while it may seem like it's based on Danny Elfman's composition for This is Halloween, I also noticed that there are some traces of Making Christmas in it.

Korai

Awards
has anyone else noticed that part of Vanitas's theme, "enter the darkness", has part of it that is clearly based off of Sora's theme?
soras theme
[video=youtube;b5lCALK8RrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lCALK8RrU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Vanitas's theme (set at time of "sora" part)
http://youtu.be/EDlbCUCrzl0?t=1m46s

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I think one of the best examples of remixed and combined theme is Link to All, I can't begin to list all of the themes that are mixed into its composition. I can name a few though! Sora, Ventus, Dearly Beloved, and Aqua...the others don't really seem to stand out much other than those. This is by far one of my favored tracks from Dream Drop Distance, though, since the feeling ti exudes is just amazing~

This so much. I guess it didn't get christened Link to All for nothing.

In all honesty, though, what I love the most is how Dearly Beloved actually fits in a huge array of themes. It wouldn't surprise me if we hear it in the final battle theme for KHIII, or even as the final battle theme itself.

Silverwarrior

has anyone else noticed that part of Vanitas's theme, "enter the darkness", has part of it that is clearly based off of Sora's theme?
soras theme
[video=youtube;b5lCALK8RrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lCALK8RrU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Vanitas's theme (set at time of "sora" part)
Enter The Darkness - Birth by Sleep & 358/2 Days & Re:coded OST - CD1 [Track 25] - YouTube

It also contains roxas' theme, which is appropriate since the vanitas tracks are based on ven's theme which surprise surprise contains roxas' and sora's themes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back