• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Sleeping Problem

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
I have a question and need answers: So what’s a good way to get things out of your mind before you go to sleep? Or how do you FALL asleep? I’ve tried thinking of good thoughts and counting "sheeps" but they don’t really work. I have a hard time sleeping and then I see some kind of horror movie (and it won't go away for days and creeps in my mind) and it still creeps in my mind. Just so you know I had a bad past with horror movies (so I won't explain anymore further other then that). I feel as if I need some kind of psychological treatment or something. Any suggestions? Any advice? Close your eyes and count sheeps has been there, done that. Just FYI.

EDIT: Can somebody move this to Help/Support? I just realized I posted wrong section of the forums. MY BAD. XD

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Well maybe you do need professional help but in the meantime, I can offer some home remedies that may help you a little.

You may want to drink some hot/warm drinks before you sleep such as teas (without caffeine of course). Chamomile is good and helps relax. A little nutmeg doesn't hurt either. You could try drinking some warm milk with nutmeg.

You may also want to look into natural supplements such as Melatonin.

Try being active as much as possible during the day. Exercise a little at least once a day if possible.

Some breathing methods may help also, you might want to do some research on that.

Also you may want to cut out eating anything heavy especially closer to the time you sleep.

Hopefully those tips may help. There are a few other things I can't think of right now, but I'll come back later if I can think of them.

afrobutt

Silver Member
it doesn't have to be sheep, just count. counting distracts your mind from whatever it is you may be thinking of. it doesn't even have to be counting, just a constant to focus on such as a fan or w/e

Also you may want to cut out eating anything heavy especially closer to the time you sleep.

and this

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Oh, I thought I should mention, that if it is a pattern where you can't sleep and you lay in bed a long time and can't sleep, it is sometimes recommended that you get out of bed after 20 mins of not sleeping and do something. This way your brain doesn't see a pattern of "oh the bed and laying down is to stay awake". If you stay in bed and cant sleep and do that constantly, your brain will think that it is normal, and it will be harder for you to sleep. So it's suggested that maybe 20 mins you can't sleep and you have been in bed, get up and get active with something, such as reading, standing, or just walking around for a little and then try again.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
Counting actually helps me. I get bored of it after 100 or so and fall asleep. I always watch TV, and that helps me fall asleep. Or sleeping pills, if your desperate. >.<

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I always find that TV and music can be distracting, while at times it does help to put me to sleep other times it is disrupting.

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
Eh, right before I go to bed, I usually try to distract my brain from what happened that day by doing something.

Usually, for me, at least, this means playing about half an hour of video games, or reading a book, or checking my e-mail right before I go to bed.

For the most part, it distracts me from everything that happened that day, both good and bad, and it leads to my mind relaxing, especially since what I'm doing doesn't take very much through process.

Papou

I'm usually pretty tired and grateful for sleep, but when I find myself lying in bed for a long time I pull a magazine out or go pamper myself in the bathroom. I might go downstairs and watch something dumb but mildly entertaining to numb my brain. I also find it easier to sleep on days where I work out and my muscles are sore. Don't eat things that are high in sugar or protein before you go to bed and don't play video games either.

Usually it works better to wait a while and try again instead of lying in bed for hours. I've never been successful with the 'clear your mind' strategy.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
I always find that TV and music can be distracting, while at times it does help to put me to sleep other times it is disrupting.
I put it at a low volume, since I can't sleep with a lot of noise. My iPod puts me to sleep too, but I try to not fall asleep with the ear phones on. That happened to me once.

Princess of KH

i have sleeping problems, too. i think i'm actually isomniac, to some degree.
take Melatonin around 2 hours before you plan on going to sleep. it helps a lot. i use it frequently.
i go to sleep listening to music. i use my mp3 & listen to a slower song, but i turn the volume down pretty low. yes, i do leave my earphones in, cause i usually fall asleep before the song's over. but it's never been a problem for me. however, i love music, so if you don't listen to music much, then this might not help.
take everyone else's advice, too. they help. (i've heard warm milk helps but i've never drank it)

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
I have a question and need answers: So what’s a good way to get things out of your mind before you go to sleep? Or how do you FALL asleep? I’ve tried thinking of good thoughts and counting "sheeps" but they don’t really work. I have a hard time sleeping and then I see some kind of horror movie (and it won't go away for days and creeps in my mind) and it still creeps in my mind. Just so you know I had a bad past with horror movies (so I won't explain anymore further other then that). I feel as if I need some kind of psychological treatment or something. Any suggestions? Any advice? Close your eyes and count sheeps has been there, done that. Just FYI.

EDIT: Can somebody move this to Help/Support? I just realized I posted wrong section of the forums. MY BAD. XD

That seriously is and identical problem I have. Even about the horror thing aswel and I had a bad past with horror movies and sleeping aswel. Weird.

Im still wondering myslef about this and I suggest trying what someone said dont lie there in bed for ages or itl be a normal habit. I lie in bed for hours at night because I cant sleep and this makes sense as to why its got progressivly longer that I lie there for.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
Counting actually helps me. I get bored of it after 100 or so and fall asleep. I always watch TV, and that helps me fall asleep. Or sleeping pills, if your desperate. >.<

Sleeping pills won't work for me unless they are efficient/useful/helpful sleeping pills. Hmm....counting doesn't help....as much. D: But glad it works for you.

Thanks for the advice guys and everything! Hopefully when I take any of your advice, I'll find a way to sleep and Myth, thanks for the Brian Eno recommendation! :D

And __EX, glad to see we have a thing in common or two. I guess you can get advice as well..... from this thread too huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back