• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► So, a little problem with my finger.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
A while back ago, I cut my finger open with a knife on Easter. I was cutting meat with it, and I'm telling that because that somehow be related to the problem, even though I doubt it.

Anyways, I cut open a lot of the skin off the loose skin on my index finger (not the knuckle, but the joint in the middle of the finger), and I could see the bone a little bit. When it happened, it was bleeding a lot, even though it didn't hurt any. After stopping the bleeding, I just put a band-aid on it, which I replaced twice a day for about two weeks. It's healed up on the outside all the way, leaving A scar. But now, my finger feels really weird when I bump it. When I compared it to my other index finger, it seems slightly tilted, and then part where I cut it indents inward a bit, while the other rounds up like normal. Also, there is a very slight tint of pink around the scar.

So, I was wondering if this could possibly be something seriously. Could I have like did something to the bone there? I haven't told anyone in my family about this, even though they do know "I cut my finger with a knife," and never showed them the actual wound (they only saw the band-aids). Any thoughts, advice?

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Tell a family member and go to the doctor if you feel its serious.
Thats my advice.

Jolts

Something similar happened to me when I was seven. I had my right pinky crushed by a door and even now it's shorter and differently shaped than my left one. What you described with the part you cut going slightly inwards has also happened to me after I cut one of my fingers with an X-acto knife.
I've had no problems besides what I've already described, but your case sounds worse than what I've gone through considering you were able to see the bone. If it's really bothering you then seeing the doctor would probably be the smartest choice, it's probably what I should have done.

O

Oberon

That's just how skin heals (the pink circle and the scar).

As for the bizarre feeling you get when you bump, touch it, remember that you cut a lot of skin. Which means the touch receptors attached to them are gone, changing the way your brain perceives things being touched from that particular spot.

I actually have a tosis of the eye, and had surgery when I was nine years old. To cut a long story short, they took a ligament from my leg and used it up in my eye (can't remember the exact name for the procedure) and as a result, there's a pretty sizable scar on my leg. Anything that touches it feels weird and if the touch is light enough, I don't even notice it.

EDIT: I even had an incident involving a hocky stick and someone smacking into me by the side of the rink, resulting in one of my fingers having a lot of tissue ripped from it. It was a bit indented and odd for about a year but it eventually went back to looking fine.

Last edited:

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
Doctor definitely. Depending on how long you've left this wound, an infecton may form, and no Band-Aid's gonna protect you from that. I'm thinking (I may be wrong) the reason your finger feels weird may be because when you cut your skin open, you probably damaged much of the tissue. (In non-sciencey terms, the "meat" of your finger) That could explain why your finger looks "tilted;" your skin's probably either still in the regenerative process, or so damaged that it can't ENTER the regenerative process.

Go to a doctor to make sure that it isn't something serious. The stuff that harms us the most is usually the stuff we think is minor. ^_^

(Edit: LOL, Oberon beat me to it. >_>)

impart

Climb The Sky
I know pink around an open cut is a bad thing, but im not sure about the scar. my scar is a tiny bit pink around the white line, witch is normal :]

I cut my finger open about 5 years ago accedently with a metal glasses case and the cut was on the inside of the finger and a little less than an inch long and I could see veins and little fat beads in it and stuff, but it wasn't on the joint so I couldn't see any bone and I needed 3 stitches just for that. D:

For awhile after the scar had healed it would often just feel really weird and slightly numb, and even hurt sometimes, and even now it hurts every once in awhile for no apparent reason. but I was told it was normal

So I would say you should be fine, but since you got the cut while you were working with raw meat its a little bit concerning
if you bled allot its likely you flushed out all the bacteria, and apparently its bad to use rubbing alcohol and things like that on huge cuts because it can damage the tissue, its better to just use plain watter or iodine and let it bleed allot :)

I would go to the doctors just to be safe, but you're probably fine.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Where's LongLiveLife for a long-winded medical explanation!?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
So, most likely not serious, but just in case, have a doctor look at it? I just don't want my dad to have to fork over a hundred dollars because of my being stupid, and then not have it be anything big.

When a cut is deep, does inside issue heal first, or the outside? It's completely healed on the outside, except for the scar, but the way I describe the weird feeling is like something is missing there. Like, when you loss a tooth, and you feel the absence of it. Only, I only feel it when the area is touched, with a slight pain.

I was thinking this too, lol.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I was thinking this too, lol.

Aw shucks. I'm more than happy to oblige.

Okay, I'll admit, this post is more for me than it is for you you, though I'm sure you'll derive some benefit from it. I have an exam in twenty-one days that may ask this, so prepare yourself for some neuroscience revision!

From your description of the injury ("even though it didn't hurt any"; "my finger feels really weird when I bump it"), I gather that you've severed at least one -- or maybe even a few -- minor nerve(s). Don't worry, though -- these are sensory neurons, and unlike the neurons in your central nervous system, they regenerate. This begins with degenerating the remnants of the nerve distal to the injury, a process known as Wallerian degeneration. Following which, axonal sprouts from the proximal stump of the severed neuron shoot out to innervate their target organ. Imagine a bunch of narrow vines shooting out from an open tube somewhere along the cut, racing with each other to attach to the ground. They grow at a rate of about 2 - 3 mm per day, so you do the math: measure the distance between the cut and the tip of your finger, and you have a rough time frame for healing.

When one sprout makes contact with the correct target, the others shrivel and retract back into their stump of origin. The nerve's support cells (Schwann cells) then rapidly proliferate and remyelinate the axon. Basically, they wrap the neuron in a fatty layer that makes the neuron more efficient. This process, however, is not perfect, and the nerve will forever transmit information slower than before the injury, but you will probably never notice the difference.

There's how it's meant to work, but as I'm sure you're aware, Nature likes to fuck around with us. So what can go wrong? Surrounding each neuron is a protective membrane called the endoneurium. Because you've cut the nerve -- rather than, say, compressed it --you've also cut through the endoneurium. If the axonal sprouts miss the endoneurium, they will never reach their target. Ever. Remember that for the other axonal sprouts to withdraw, one needs to first make contact. If contact doesn't happen, none of the sprouts withdraw, and you can get a tangled mess of nerve fibers anywhere between the injury and the target. This is called a neuroma; it hurts like crazy; and there's nothing that doctors can do about it, apart from dope you up with a load of painkillers.

I assume you're familiar with the process of wound healing, but scarring is normal; as long as you've kept it clean, you have nothing to fear. The tilting was probably always there, but you're only noticing it now. Everyone's fingers tilts, and a minor knife injury is not going to fundamentally change your bone structure.

...You're asking a video game forum for medical advice?

Get the hell off your ass and go see a professional.

Ordinarily I would emphasize this, but if it's a nerve cut, there's little a doctor can offer. Still, patients have a tendency of withholding information, and getting a professional to look at the injury can't hurt.

Hope that helps, now I've got to run. I'm late for lectures. ffffff.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks LLL.
I'll just let my finger be for now.

You seem to underestimate the community here... wait...
Yeah, never mind, most people here are fuckin' dumb. :|

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

1by1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back