• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

...So, can we stick primarily with pixar?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
When KH3 launched, I expected pixar's worlds to be the most dull and disconnected, as the stories in the films always drew more attention than the themes or scenarios - in the aspect of variety of scenarios, Disney beats Pixar 100%.

But then I realized that Pixar's worlds in KH3 had the best connections and scenes related to the main story. Knowing the development of the game, we know that Pixar worked very closely with Square Enix to create new and meaningful stories, and in the game you can see that.

In Monstropolis, Sora learns about Ventus on that cool scene and we have Sully's legendary throwing Vanitas through several doors.

In Toy Box, we can see a very strange story that Woody and Buzz are having to go through, as they seem to be in an alternate reality. I don't even need to mention that KH's main Lore almost completely overwrites the story of Woody, Buzz, and the characters in the films, right? (Can you imagine Elsa being taken to a mirrored version of her world? Disney wouldn't allow that) The interesting thing about this story is that it has no conclusion - in the end, SDG can't take the toys back to their reality - CLEARLY, they are already more involved in the future of the series now having this pending issue to resolve.

I don't think a game without Disney would be very positive, as I still think that in the scenarios and thematic department, this company has many more different options to work, and I enjoy that in the games. However, Pixar allows more distortions and creations from/of the original stories of the films. And as Toy Box shows, they may even give up most of the plot space to things KH-related.

And honestly, after KH3 failed at the pace and content of the main story, all I wanted now was a game with a majority of pixar in the worlds so we can have just that for a few time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
There will probably be more Pixar worlds going forward. However that doesn't mean I want there to be less Disney properties because of that at the same time. Even if they don't contribute much towards the plot I can still enjoy them for other reasons(unless they are being really restrictive as shown with Arendelle).

They can still do original plots for the Disney worlds as shown in the first game and San Fransokyo

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
It was Sully that threw Vanitas, and the Toy Story plot was resolved during the credits montage, where Andy returns to his bedroom.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They are some of the most creative and involved worlds in the whole game because of Pixar making them create their own stories, and I absolutely think they need to delve more into Pixar OR Disney needs to adopt the same views. It probably varies by producer, though. Roy Conli seemed to at least hold somewhat of a similar view if we look at San Fransokyo. And the Kingdom of Corona could have been better but considering what new stuff that was there, it was fun.

Man, now I'm kind of itching to play through KH3 again. I was doing a Beginner EZ Mode play through and a Critical Mode playthrough at the same time. I should probably finish those. I was almost at the end of Critical, too.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Disney is still going to put their worlds in the game after all they will still want to keep Frozen in the spotlight with Frozen 2 which I would rather they wouldn’t if it going to end up like KH3 Frozen. However I don’t want Disney worlds gone completely since I still want to see a Lilo and Stitch world where we get to explore Lilo’s home town and meet Stitch again. Although I would definitely want more Pixar worlds going forward especially if it means we might get a Incredibles world.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I'm fine with Pixar, though I wish they'd visit the older Disney IPs too. We might likely get Brave, because, ya know, princess. I'm actually trying to think why Merida could be a good candidate for one of the new princesses.

She's, well, brave, which is good, but she's not filial, which upon further introspection most of the princesses actually are except Rapunzel (Snow's a doormat, Cindy too, Rory...just sleeps, Belle exchanges herself for her father, no idea about Alice, Jasmine...well she cares about him even if she does go on joyrides with boys in the middle of the night, etc.)...added to the fact she indirectly poisoned her mother with a cake by feeding it to her when it came from a hag with no questions asked...

You know, now that I think about it, most of the princesses aren't actually that pure to begin with.

But getting on topic, yeah, Pixar, whoo!

Edit: I stand corrected by myself. She rode out into the middle of the night to chase her bear-mother, defied her dad, blocked an oncoming attack from said dad to save her bear-mom. I guess Merida's filial after all.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I'm generally just less interested in Pixar properties so having more of them wouldn't be all that appealing outside Coco and i guess the incredibles and inside out.

cakito123

Awards
It was Sully that threw Vanitas, and the Toy Story plot was resolved during the credits montage, where Andy returns to his bedroom.

Thank you, just corrected it! I'm bad at remembering names lol
And wow, I just realized now that I didn't watch the credits scenes, thank you for that too.

I went now and found it, and It's incredibly suspicious how they don't make clear if it was andy or not who was opening the door. And the way KH3 played with toy story to convey Verum Rex makes me think this is not Andy, specially how the end cutscene of completing the world is. I think the nature of this mirror-world from Toybox is a hint for whatever Quadratum is.

cakito123

Awards
I'm generally just less interested in Pixar properties so having more of them wouldn't be all that appealing outside Coco and i guess the incredibles and inside out.

Thing is, I have the same opinion.
I don't think pixar could be very appealing except for those movies you mentioned (and even then, only Coco can provide some unique sceneries), but honestly KH3 failed so hard at balancing things with disney that I don't think Disney is that appealing either right now. And pixar, with all cons it has for a KH game, delivered it 100%.

So between some less interesting ideas (pixar) but 100% polished and beautifully conveyed, and some great ideas (Disney) with a bad/mediocre execution, I think I prefer the first option.

Awards
Thing is, I have the same opinion.
I don't think pixar could be very appealing except for those movies you mentioned (and even then, only Coco can provide some unique sceneries), but honestly KH3 failed so hard at balancing things with disney that I don't think Disney is that appealing either right now. And pixar, with all cons it has for a KH game, delivered it 100%.

So between some less interesting ideas (pixar) but 100% polished and beautifully conveyed, and some great ideas (Disney) with a bad/mediocre execution, I think I prefer the first option.

Now it all boils down to what Pixar films can best fit within the Kingdom Hearts Universe. I do agree that Coco would be a magnificent example, as that film heavily deals on the subject of memory and the afterlife. Imagine this being a world that Riku or Kairi visit in order to find clues to bring Sora back? I'd also love for the KH characters to see how the "Final Death" works.

The sky's the limit from here on out, so we shall have to wait and see for what happens!

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
He's right. Some Pixar films are great and cohesive with KH, some films wouldn't make sense with the narrative.

Toy Story explored the concept of a heart existing in what would've been inanimate objects otherwise, though we already got a taste of that with Pinocchio, not to mention the replicas, but their world basically drove the point home. If you love something something enough and all that jazz.

On the other hand, I'm on the fence about Inside Out. Ignoring the fact that a 16, maybe 17, year old boy being inside the mind and body of a 13 year old girl, and I mean that in the most INNOCUOUS way, the idea of emotions being explained away as little people in your head instead of the mysterious thing known as the heart, it would be, how do I say, antithetical.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Well, maybe I sound like broken record at this point, but I will repeat it again.

What we need isn't specifically more Pixar or less Disney, but more general creative worlds, that is not rehash of the original movies. Yes, Pixar movies have worse plot than Disney movies. But the thing here is, Pixar executives are more lenient in allowing KH write their own version of their movies's plot, that actually integrates with KH's own main plot, instead of plain copy paste of the movie. We can agree that Disney's protectiveness to KH to not allow KH have their own plot of their movies is a bad move, if not flat out stupid move because KH has proven itself to sell and KH3 specifically proves that the difference with the original movie is what fandom wants with the Pixar movies worlds. I repeat that Mirroverse,Twisted Wonderland and now Star Smash is a thing,which gives me tiny spark of hope that Disney will cease this, um, unwiseness, they can write a good plot for KH's version of their movies if they wanted to (emphasis if they wanted to, thing is they don't want it.)

I just want more creatively integrated world, but thing is Pixar has proven themselves to be better at it than Disney, so I put my money on Pixar for the time being, as simple as that. However, should the Pixar movies are plain movie rehashes when Disney finally open their eyes and write creatively integrated world for KH, then I will put my money on Disney again. Whoever can make the creatively integrated worlds can have my money, tho preferably both companies.

disney233

Awards
And with Pixar the restriction of no Disney boss fights. Story or not it doesn't matter to me. They both shared a hand on what made KH3...the mess that it is. It's a fool's hope, but all the sections, Square, Disney, and Pixar need to find some middle ground. Because there wasn't one in 3...at all.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Judging from this, I don't think you have to be as concerned about the portrayal of Disney worlds. Then again, the final decisions of what happened in each Disney world was dependant on the creative team involved with the original property.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
lol we go from wanting Disney out of KH, to advocating for more Pixar. I know they're different properties, but the issue with some Disney properties are some that can be resolved. If not, then we'll have to deal with them, basically. But with what Alpha posted, I'm optimistic over how Disney properties will be handled henceforth.

cakito123

Awards

Judging from this, I don't think you have to be as concerned about the portrayal of Disney worlds. Then again, the final decisions of what happened in each Disney world was dependant on the creative team involved with the original property.

That's really good news. I hope these changes actually do something for KH from now on, but I remain skeptical until I see it. I don't quite believe disney will be that carefree with their IPs... I really hope I'm wrong tho

lol we go from wanting Disney out of KH, to advocating for more Pixar. I know they're different properties, but the issue with some Disney properties are some that can be resolved. If not, then we'll have to deal with them, basically. But with what Alpha posted, I'm optimistic over how Disney properties will be handled henceforth.

While there is some disney worlds where they can change things a lot more, I still didn't ever see in a KH game an original story with disney properties being so different like in KH3's Pixar worlds. The best disney world for me in kh3 was Tangled, but they still go mainly with the movie's plot. And specially with Tangled, I can see how they could have made an original story since there is so much new content in the TV series already.

IIRC, the most different thing we got that came close to being original was the beauty and the beast on KH2, where xaldin takes an antogonistic force against SDG + beast. And in Hercules KH2, where they throw in a FF character in the mix. But even then, both worlds still go with the movie's plot somehow, that wasn't an 100% ORIGINAL story like pixar did in kh3.

Can any of you remember more worlds where they made the story really diverge from the original movie(s)? I don't think any world we've had so far diverged so much from our standart expectations for a KH world like pixar did with monstropolis and toy box.

When you stop to think about it, Pixar even made a whole new scenery for Toy Box (the shop) that the movies never ever had or showed any hint of existence... Which is the right move for me - since, again - Pixar don't go that well with unique sceneries. I'm not even sure I like the shop honestly.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm another on the I don't really care for Pixar boat. I've never felt all that fond of them and there aren't too many Pixar movies I actually like and want to rewatch.
Personally I think it's less of a Pixar vs. Disney thing and more a original Story vs retelling thing. So I personally would prefer for Disney just to give the KH team more freedom to remix or add to the stories instead of retelling the movies in lower quality. Of course I do have to acknowledge that Pixar was mandating original stories, while Disney prefered retellings.

I personally think In KH the worlds that worked the best were the ones where they were telling their own stories. This is true in all games not just KH3. KH1 did a nice job of keeping the feeling and beats, but telling it in a way that more suits a 2-3 hour of gameplay medium. KH2 did a good job with Tron's world, having it be the OS of Hollow Basion's computer.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
At this point in Disney's life as a franchise, is there really a difference between a Disney animated film and a Pixar animated film? Big Hero 6 could have had the "Pixar" banner on it and it wouldn't have made a difference at all.

I wouldn't want a game of all Disney worlds or all Pixar worlds. I want a KH game with worlds that fit the main story. Not only that, but the execution needs to be done well. Arendelle fit the main story of KH3. The foreshadowing of Anna's sacrifice for Elsa and the exploration of "true love" would have worked wonders for the climax of KH3 for Sora/Kairi... if only Sora was a part of the story in Arendelle.

So I guess Nomura should filter the world choices as follows: do they fit the main story/theme of this game? If yes, do they have major restrictions on what can be done in the world (boss fights/interactions/party members etc)? If yes, then forget that world UNLESS it's something majorly popular that Disney will demand (yes, I'm talking about Frozen 2).

Awards
At this point in Disney's life as a franchise, is there really a difference between a Disney animated film and a Pixar animated film? Big Hero 6 could have had the "Pixar" banner on it and it wouldn't have made a difference at all.

I wouldn't want a game of all Disney worlds or all Pixar worlds. I want a KH game with worlds that fit the main story. Not only that, but the execution needs to be done well. Arendelle fit the main story of KH3. The foreshadowing of Anna's sacrifice for Elsa and the exploration of "true love" would have worked wonders for the climax of KH3 for Sora/Kairi... if only Sora was a part of the story in Arendelle.

So I guess Nomura should filter the world choices as follows: do they fit the main story/theme of this game? If yes, do they have major restrictions on what can be done in the world (boss fights/interactions/party members etc)? If yes, then forget that world UNLESS it's something majorly popular that Disney will demand (yes, I'm talking about Frozen 2).

I am confident that from here on out, we are going to see a lot more creative freedom when it comes to how Disney worlds/worlds in general are handled in terms of importance to the plot and overall structure. And with Quadratum now being a brand new opening into a new realm of possibilities, who can say what's in store? I also believe that a good balance of original content from the Disney worlds and retellings can be done efficiently well. I'm excited to see what we will get in the future!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I personally would prefer no PIXAR films, but Disney the company wants to blend their brands... Inside Out, The Incredibles, and the upcoming Luca--maybe Coco--are the best of the lot if those films have to be there. I just would laugh at a hypothetical KH with all PIXAR properties, and no Disney or FF to be found. I wouldn't buy it, but I'm sure it would do decent business anyway.

Back