• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So, 'linearity' (general spoilers)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Now we all know that leading up to the English release there was a lot of talk about how the game had gone in a completely different direction in comparison to previous installments. I for one was a bit concerned that the developers had taken out everything that I loved in a final fantasy; the world. For me one of the biggest elements I enjoy in a Final Fantasy game is an explorable, diverse world.

When I finally got my hands on the game, I was anxious to find out which direction the developers had decided to take. Initially, I was awestruck by the cosmetic aspects of the game; the sound and visuals. The soundtrack and voice acting for XIII exactly what I was hoping for, and overall I had very few complaints. Similarly, this was one of the most visually beautiful games I had ever played. The consistent futuristic style and attention to detail here got me excited to explore the wonderful world around me.

This is where things got a little bit disappointing. Whilst I had this beautiful world all around me, I more often than not found myself constricted to the path I had been set upon, and only that. I was also quite disappointed in the fact that treasure chests were so easy to find. I'm very much doubting that I missed any at all by accident.

On the other hand, I was enthralled with the story and the battle system. I just lost myself in them completely. I don't think I've ever had as much fun battling in a Final Fantasy game. The new system was fast paced, logical, exciting, and overall quite refined. The story, too, just drew me in. The character development and building of relationships between the party members in XIII was unparalleled by any of the other titles.

Eventually, I arrived at Gran Pulse. It was here that all of the dev team's decisions so far made a bit more sense. I could understand now why there was so little deviation from the set path up until now; it wasn't necessary. There was absolutely no need for it at all, considering what had happened in the story so far. It was quite clear that the characters would never be going back to the places they visited on cocoon, and they didn't have a reason to. So I asked myself, why then would it be necessary to dwell on the exploration of these places.

In the end, it was clear that the first half the game was primarily used for two things; to introduce the player to the battle system, constantly putting them in new situations and offering them a challenge; and to propel the story. XIII relies heavily on its story and the devs have done a great job combing the story with a constantly moving game.

Overall, as I said, whilst I found myself a little disappointed in the lack of exploration and the generally linear nature of the game during the first half, I was constantly enthralled by the battle system and the story. When the game opened up to me in the second half, I had no problems at all. This was another thoroughly satisfying Final Fantasy experience.

But yeah, discuss what your outlook on XIII was. Do you think the gameplay overhaul was successful? Did you perhaps prefer XIII's linear nature to the other titles, such as the open worlded XII?

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
Personally i loved everything about XIII from the Visuals to VA to battle system.

The gameplay was awesome and the story was really-really good+ the character development through the game was good too.

I couldn't care less about the linearity of the game.

Really i enjoyed every minute of XIII.

Don't get me wrong i also liked XII's opens world but i don't think that the linearity of XIII is that much of a deal.(Again that is my personal belief, opinions change.)

Z

Zulkir

-------------------------------------

Last edited:

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
As I've mentioned in the main thread, I wasn't bothered by the linearity at all because I was too busy having fun with the game to even notice. The only time it ever got to me was when you were chasing Eden around in the final chapter.

I really enjoyed the first half of the game, contrary to popular opinion. The developers wanted you to get a feel for each of the characters' strengths and weaknesses and it was done well. Plus, I enjoyed watching the characters' interactions with one another, which was one of the highlights of the game. Unlike the typical JRPG, the main cast aren't a ragtag team of buddies from the beginning; they had to develop bonds with one another and learn to move past their differences.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
I have to agree with TY here (sorry for lack of creativity :/ )

I think the only set back for me in the game is the replayability. Just getting through the game was great, but replaying things you have missed were fun for a while until all interest just fell short of venturing ever nook and cranny of Gran Pulse for the majority of the time. Keep in mind this is after the game, and while sure you do get trophies and what not, it doesn't quite compare to the extra enjoyment of some past FF's. The Titan Trials, and the Undying for example were nice touches to the game, but just being in one general area for so much time....

i guess i'm just being picky :p

Tsukasa

Awards
Personally, I had no qualms with XIII at all. The linearity didn't bother me that much because I was too fixated with the story and just wanting to head on to see what happens next. When I got to Pulse, I was kind of overwhelmed by the size of it. The first time I entered the main area of Pulse, I had no idea there were more areas and just continued to follow the markers to the next area, completely missing the other areas. It wasn't until post-game that I found out there were more areas to explore.

As for the battle system; I like it. I hear some people are complaining about how you can just mash X/A for Auto-Battle through the whole game and that there's no challenge to the battles, but that's just nonsense. But personally, I like it. It's simple and straightforward. Where FFXII was simply just setting up your Gambits and plowing through the game, FFXIII just sets up the basics of battle with you setting up Paradigms for the battles. In the first half of the game, you might just go through and hardly touch your Paradigm deck, but in the second half you'll be constantly switching out your deck because you just won't beat that boss otherwise. Auto-Battle in the second half isn't going to work. Not a chance.

As for the characters; Yes. I hated Hope in the beginning because he was such a whiny brat. Later on? I like him. He's always the one that encourages the party to go on and is always optimistic. In a way, he's the party leader. As for the other characters, I had no problems with them. They all have their personal reasons to go on and not look back.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
I absolutely love FFXIII so far. Even though I haven't beaten it yet, everything seems to just draw me in.

Probably the only thing I can really complain about is the dissapearance of towns. I mean, it's not that big of a deal to some, but it was always a safe haven and also a point marker whenever you were lost. Yeah, the save stations have everything to you dont go running around everywhere, but I miss going around town seeing what the NPCs had to say, as well as finding hidden sidequests and treasures. XIII just seems so linear without them, since you're always running in one direction.

I actually really liked the Crystarium; it reminded me a lot of X's Sphere Grid (which I had a lot of fun with), though this has everyone's own individual stats so you can actually compare and choose who to use for a party.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
i'm still on chapter 9 but i just wanna throw in my two cents.

don't get me wrong i'm enjoying the game, and like ty said, the character interaction is really great and it's done on a level that i don't think has been done in a jrpg yet.

however........................................................................

it's not really the linearity that bothers me. i don't mind being told what to do and being dragged from point a to point b. in fact it is one of my life dreams to live in a communist state. what does bother me, however, is the lack of variation. so far the gameplay has just been "here are some baddies fight a bunch and proceed to the next cutscene." sure, ffx was linear, but at least they had puzzles like the cloister of trials and shit to switch things up. you can have a linear game w/o being restricted to just repetitious battles. don't get me wrong, i love the battle system, it keeps me on my feet, but i can't really play more than an hour or two of this game at a time before i'm like "well shucks this is getting kinda tedious."

the lack of towns doesn't bother me, since it makes sense plot-wise, but that's not really an excuse to keep the game strictly fight! walk.. fight! walk.. fight! cutscene. fight! walk.. etc. like seriously, throw in some puzzles, mini-games, or at least something to bring in some variety. people are complaining about how towns are necessary because they break up the monotony. that's kind of a stupid argument, i think. it's not the lack of towns that sucks, it's the lack of variation that makes the constant battling kind of tedious after awhile.

so i guess in short, being linear doesnt mean the game can't have any variation. i think ffx did a swell job of showing that.

that being said, i still really like ffxiii. this is actually the only thing that bugs me about it, and just felt like getting into detail with it. plus, dan and other folks say the linearity opens up once you reach gran pulse, so it's all good.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
i completely agree with everything scubasteve said. i said it in the main thread a while back that i was bored of fight cutscene fight cutscene fight cutscene. even the side quests revolve around fighting. this alone makes the game less replay worthy, i completed it a few weeks back and once the storyline was finished i have had no urges what-so-ever to play it again.
this was the main aspect that killed the game for me. also, i personally wasn't a big fan of the storyline either.

another point i disliked was the weapon feature. the whole levelling up a weapon, using items to evolve a weapon just didn't catch me at all. it also bugged me that i didn't get any gil from defeating an enemy.

there was alot i disliked about this game, but it was slightly fun while it lasted. i just hope ffversus13 will be better.

on the other hand, the thing that really impressed me was the character development. i've never felt more involved with characters in a game before. (i hate vanille though worstcharever)

Awards
Yeah, that's a pretty good point Steve. I don't think I would have considered the game to be linear at all if they had thrown some puzzles and minigames my way. I didn't think FFX was linear at all, so I find it surprising sometimes when people are like 'oh FFX was linear too rah rah'. In retrospect it's probably because there was a lot of variation going on. I enjoyed those periods like the cloister of trials where I didn't have to fight anything but could think about something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back