• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So whats your favorite genre?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

So whats your favorite Genre?

• Shooter

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • J/RPG

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Action/Adventure

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Puzzler

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Platformer

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Party/dance games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They have games besides CoD!?!?!?!?!?!

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
So I was wondering what everyones favorite Genres were? Mine is JRPG.

The poll needs to be edited to add fighting but I dont know how :(

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Definitely going with J/RPG.

I don't see any justification in paying $60 for a 10 hour storyline which has become the standard among most games. That and I'm also a piss poor college student. It's either a game, or a weeks worth of food.

That and I get a sort of thrill being able to control your character and adventure into a sprawling world.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
I love to play shooters because it's something I can do with my friends. But my true favorite is always gonna be the JRPGs.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I'd have to say action/adventure since I'm not really a big JRPG fan like most on here.

And by the way, why isn't horror on the poll?

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Eh... I've grown up with Action/Adventures, and they're still my favorite.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I like a tonne of different games - to say one particular genre is to oversimplify how I feel about games, since most modern games that we define as a single genre actually dip into several.

I like games that challenge me, in terms of my dexterity, my persistence, and my creativity - for puzzles, character interaction and real-time action situations.
I prefer third-person perspective to first-person, since seeing a fictional world through my characters' eyes has always ruined the immersion for me, not improved it. I find having a full view of your character's body can go a long way towards improving immersion.
I like it when the narrative and gameplay function to simultaneously improve each other, not just where the story exists to facilitate you getting more powers and being able to do more stuff.
I think games are best when their pacing - in all aspects - is dynamic. Action is only exciting because you have calm moments to compare it to, a horror game is only scary because you're not being constantly assaulted with horrific things.
I like me some high fantasy and science-fiction.

That's about it, really. There are lots of games I like and dislike that have the above features and still fall into plenty of different genres, hence why I'm hesitant to name a 'favourite' genre, since they all do different things for me.

wii.red24

While i really love shooters like halo and call of duty im gonna go with J/RPG I.e. compare final fantasy to Halo u might get about 6 hours out of halo if your lucky but with final fantsay u can get over 50 hours of gameplay and the graphics are amazing dont get me wrong there both great games but J/RPGs are better for a reason.

State

Awards
J/Action RPGs. My childhood was practically all about them (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, Legends, etc.).

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
It's difficult to say in the sense that there are both stellar and utterly atrocious examples in every single genre. If the game is good, I usually like it regardless of the genre that it is in.

But since I have to choose, I would have to say a combination of JRPGs (including subgenres) and Fighting games.

Fighting games because, quite frankly, I find them to be one of the few competitive genres that actually requires a decent investment of time to gain even a little bit skilled at it. Not only do I love it because you get to see a lot of flashy and occasionally inventive styles of play, but also because there is honestly a ton of mental work that players put into the game (at least when they try to play competitively). You need to understand the game's individual mechanics, the distance between you and your opponent, where you are in the stage/arena, what you can do in those situations, when to go on the offensive, when to play defensively, how to control your opponent, how to limit your opponent's control over you, and all the quick decisions that need to be made in a fraction of a second. When you get a good match going, with two people really giving it their all, it's quite a rush.

JRPGs mainly because they were my main genre when I grew up. There's a lot of nostalgia for me in that genre. It may be a really stagnated genre right now, but you used to see all different kinds of battle systems and skill systems and even the occasional surprise (like when crafting first hit JRPGs) that were really unique at the time. Sure, the stories often felt predictable (at least to some basic degree) and there was a lot of recycling as far as plot was concerned, but I didn't care because I just enjoyed the ride. It's kind of a shame to see just how much farther down the niche road the genre's gone without doing anything to make it stand out again. Even so, it's impossible for me not to love my favorite genre growing up.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Platformers, action, adventure, shoot-em-up's, and RPG's are basically it for me. I don't have a strong preference for any of them in particular, since I like to judge games on an individual basis.

For me, it's important that the game be fantastical enough to serve as suitable escapism. It's why, for instance, I don't care for realistic racing games because there's nothing too out-there about them. It's just cars. I like Mario Kart though, because it's fun, stylized, and wacky.

And by the way, why isn't horror on the poll?

Because it's not really a genre. Just about any horror game is either action, adventure, a mix of both, or an FPS.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Because it's not really a genre. Just about any horror game is either action, adventure, a mix of both, or an FPS.

eh, that may be the case for this generations horror games, but what about the survival horror games like Silent Hill and the PS Resident Evil games?

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
eh, that may be the case for this generations horror games, but what about the survival horror games like Silent Hill and the PS Resident Evil games?

Well, in retrospect, "suvival-horror" is definitely a genre, so I guess it can count, even though they're just action-adventure games with a different approach (and therefore more of a sub-genre).

Ace.

Banned
Stealth.

Chaos Theory might be the best game ever developed...

tongkakoii

J/RPG's is I want to play for long periods of time since it keeps me hooked. Also, many J/RPGs have very good stories and gameplay.

Fighting games is also a favorite since it is a form of release when I'm angry or frustrated.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
action or RPG, the best games are RPGs (or JRPGs) but there are more good action/adventure games. In the end I guess I go with RPGs.
is KH an action-jrpg?

Apollo

Silver Member
I don't really have a favorite genre, I just play whatever is fun. But I tend to play FPS-Shooters and RPGs more than other genres.

Shooters are a fun, casual way for me to play video games with my RL friends. Hardly any of my friends are gamers but they all love Halo, BF2, and Call of Duty. It is easy to just set up a team and go play pubs for a couple hours. There is hardly a learning cruve in shooters these days, so anybody can pick up it and play.

However RPGs will always appeal to me more than other genres. There is just something about getting to decide how your character grows and interacts within their world that gets me hard. Also in my opinion RPGs tend to have better soundtracks and story.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I would have to say my favorite video game genre would be Action/JRPGs. I do like some other genres though.

Rix

:)
Awards
I play whatever I think is fun. Genre doesn't matter all that much to me.

But I'm not too fond of shooters and party/dance games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back