• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Software Recs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
We used to have a thread like this back when we had a tech board, so why not have it up again?

Basically just post useful software in general. If you have any suggestions for new categories or how to better organize this, feel free to drop in.

First of all, this isn't software per se but: Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Should be self-explanatory, really.

Internet Browsers
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Opera

Security
AVG Antivirus
Avast!
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spybot! Search and Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Media Players
CCCP/Media Player Classic
VLC Media Player
Itunes
Songbird
Winamp

Image/Video/Sound Editing
GIMP
Paint.NET
Audacity

Download Managers
utorrent
peerblock

General Utilities
ImgBurn (CD burning software)
CCleaner (shit cleaner)
Defraggler (Disc Defragmenter)
7zip (File manager)

Last edited:
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
peerblock - blocks others from seeing what you're up too, run this while torrenting to keep random peers/your ISP from seeing what you're doing.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
What do you need it for? In terms of codec compatibility, you can't get better than VLC, but I quite like iTunes' library management, actually.

1+1=FISHXD

how about add a video converter gallery and videos downloaders xD best video converter for me is any video converter usally has the formats i need it to convert and best downloder for me is netvideo hunter it downloads you tube videos very fast and better quality then youtube downloader would the only bad thing is that its a firefox plug in so you need to have firefox xD there preety usful programs i use it at least 4 times a week

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
Can someone recommend a good audio file type(is codec the right word?) converter & DONT mention AVS. Because someone gave me to AVS & its NOT free unless your happy with their audio logo randomly plastered throughout each song!

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Cheat Engine - not too important, but can be somewhat fun when playing online games; changing colors and whatnot.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Media players : GOM is good, VLC is what I use, windows media center, Itunes, WMP

Converters : I like WM converter it gets the job done for me with verry basic conversions. I love slysoft products like anydvd and clonedvd mobile.

Video editors : Sony Vegas 9 is what use, I also use final cut @ my college.

Audio editors : mixcraft, FL 9, audicity, & Krystal

Photo editor : CS4, MS paint

Notation : finale 2010

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Can someone recommend a good audio file type(is codec the right word?) converter & DONT mention AVS. Because someone gave me to AVS & its NOT free unless your happy with their audio logo randomly plastered throughout each song!
What format are you trying to convert / convert to?

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Here are a few of the random programs that I use:

FTP: Filezilla

DVD/Bluray/HD DVD decrypting: AnydvdHD
DVD Ripping/Transcoding: CloneDVD2
DVD Shrinking: CloneDVDmobile
*.ISO mounting: Virtual CloneDrive (Supports bluray ISOs without problems.)
SlySoft Products | Copy Movie DVDs with AnyDVD and CloneDVD

Bluray Ripping: AnydvdHD (has a rip to hard drive option)
Bluray Transcoding: ripbot264 (1.16.5, requires several other programs to function)
RipBot264 1.16.5 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Bluray Disc Playback: Total Media Theatre
TotalMedia Theatre 5 — All-in-one media player with cinema-like experience

Other thoughts
Most DVDs are encoded with Mpeg-2 so using CDVD2 allows me to encode to Mpeg-4 which is more efficient than Mpeg-2. I can go from 8GB to 1.5-2.5GB without a noticeable drop in quality.

Video codec: MT2S (AVCHD//Bluray) & MPEG-4
I prefer MT2S since I can encode 5.1 audio into the stream with higher bitrates. Mpeg-4 *can* do 5.1, but PS3 downsamples AAC 5.1 to 2.0 (stereo mix). Mpeg-4 is supported by more devices so theres that. Even with a highend system, a bluray transcode can take 5-8 hours or longer depending on settings.

I use uTorrent with a small script to auto download an ip blacklist table daily. Since the tables don't update often, I have pretty good protection. I have the program set to autoload the blacklist on starting (an advanced option) as well have randomized ports (UPnP) and forced encrypted connections. I also grab the *.tor files via https (again, encrypted). uTorrent also has options for RSS feeds.. great for sites like TvT.
(Auto downloads my selected torrects whenever a new one is available.)

Network Storage/Media Server: Windows Server 2011 x64 (Formerly Windows Home Server SP3)
Raid-5 setup with 5.5TB of storage. (Formerly 7.7ish+ TB with folder duplication.. Raid-5=better, but not supported in WHS SP3.) This configuration allows me to stream media over my network to any device. My desktop, PS3, htpc, laptops, ipad & iphone.

Mobile media streaming: remotepotato
(ipad & iphone supported ^.^)
Allows me to access any of my media from my server anywhere.. everything from MP3 to Mpeg-4, MKV, avi, etc.
Also allows me to remotely set my desktop or htpc to record tv programs while away. Combined with a ceton infinitv4 cablecard tuner its media heaven.

I also backup my DVD/Bluray media to ISO format so I atleast have a bit-for-bit copy if anything ever happens to the disc. DVDs can take 5-8GB and Blurays from 20-50GB per disc.

To transfer the massive ISO files or HD video, I use full Gigabit (10/100/1000) switches/routers with cat6 cable (rated for 10GB). If I need faster speeds in the future for say 4K media I can simply swap the switches/routers. Even at these speeds a 50GB file can take 5-8 minutes to transfer due to network overhead. I have tried wireless but the volume of data pretty much renders it unusable. (I cringe when someone attempts to watch dvd or HD media wirelessly.)

</Rant>

~~Azu

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar

Bluray Transcoding: ripbot264 (1.16.5, requires several other programs to function)

Other thoughts
Most DVDs are encoded with Mpeg-2 so using CDVD2 allows me to encode to Mpeg-4 which is more efficient than Mpeg-2. I can go from 8GB to 1.5-2.5GB without a noticeable drop in quality.

I prefer MT2S since I can encode 5.1 audio into the stream with higher bitrates. Mpeg-4 *can* do 5.1, but PS3 downsamples AAC 5.1 to 2.0 (stereo mix). Mpeg-4 is supported by more devices so theres that. Even with a highend system, a bluray transcode can take 5-8 hours or longer depending on settings.

I use uTorrent with a small script to auto download an ip blacklist table daily. Since the tables don't update often, I have pretty good protection. I have the program set to autoload the blacklist on starting (an advanced option) as well have randomized ports (UPnP) and forced encrypted connections. I also grab the *.tor files via https (again, encrypted). uTorrent also has options for RSS feeds.. great for sites like TvT.

Network Storage/Media Server: Windows Server 2011 x64 (Formerly Windows Home Server SP3)
Raid-5 setup with 5.5TB of storage. (Formerly 7.7ish+ TB with folder duplication.. Raid-5=better, but not supported in WHS SP3.) This configuration allows me to stream media over my network to any device. My desktop, PS3, htpc, laptops, ipad & iphone.

Allows me to access any of my media from my server anywhere.. everything from MP3 to Mpeg-4, MKV, avi, etc.
Also allows me to remotely set my desktop or htpc to record tv programs while away. Combined with a ceton infinitv4 cablecard tuner its media heaven.

I also backup my DVD/Bluray media to ISO format so I atleast have a bit-for-bit copy if anything ever happens to the disc. DVDs can take 5-8GB and Blurays from 20-50GB per disc.

To transfer the massive ISO files or HD video, I use full Gigabit (10/100/1000) switches/routers with cat6 cable (rated for 10GB). If I need faster speeds in the future for say 4K media I can simply swap the switches/routers. Even at these speeds a 50GB file can take 5-8 minutes to transfer due to network overhead. I have tried wireless but the volume of data pretty much renders it unusable. (I cringe when someone attempts to watch dvd or HD media wirelessly.)

</Rant>

~~Azu

I want to be you.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

Slysoft Products are Awesome. Best software i've ever purchased =)

I found Yamm a while ago and its pretty cool.
it automatically grabs metadata for all of your movies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who dont want to dish out the cash for the slysoft products
Try HandBrake which is open source

Last edited:

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

Other thoughts

</Rant>

~~Azu

Sorry about the double post but i just read your whole setup and i totally envy it lol.
i only have 1.5TB on my server, which i directly connect to my wireless N Router. My Xbox360 and my Ps3 are also directly connected. i want to figure out a way to acess windows media center on my xbox without having one of my PCs on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back