• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora and Kairi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Look, anyone who's played only just the first Kingdom Hearts doesn't have to be too smart to understand that Sora and Kairi are an item waiting to happen. It was nudged at a lot more in KH2, but we have yet to see a proper handling of the relationship between these two, and in my opinion, Kingdom Hearts 3 will be a ripe opportunity to make it happen.

I guess the only thing is that in the previous two numbered installments, Sora was kind of... awkward? I mean we all remember that scene from 2 when it takes him a second to hug her back. And Nomura said that Sora will be "more mature" this time around.

What do you guys think? I would really like to see this happen in the next game. It's been brewing for seven games now. It's make or break time with KH3.

Commander Corn

it needs some kind of advancement but i feel like there is such a huge margin for error that could make it horribly awful.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
it needs some kind of advancement but i feel like there is such a huge margin for error that could make it horribly awful.

Precisely. That's why I'm uncertain about it. I feel it SHOULD have some sort of presence in this game, but it needs to be handled just right or else it could end up ruined. Nomura has done a great job so far of not making it overly gooey and corny, quite the opposite in fact. And that's why I think he needs to continue that in KH3.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
This topic is like zombie horse at this point.

The reason most people speculate that the Kairi/Sora ship, like every other ship in the games, has yet to sail is because...KH isn't about romantic love. It isn't about love that's exclusive between two people, and although Kairi and Sora have a special relationship, the game is really about Sora's ability to form unique and powerful relationships with just about anyone. In point of fact, Sora is as likely to start a romantic relationship with Riku as he is Kairi, because that's just the kind of person he is: he kind of loves everyone, in full, with few exceptions.

I expect and hope KH3 will be as ambiguous on the romantic front as the other games have been. A few indications one way or the other would be just fine, but if we get some kind of deep climactic kiss between ANYONE whoisn'troxasandaxel I'm gonna gag for days.

Basically, no, Sora and Kairi are not an item waiting to happen. Sora, Kairi and Riku are an item that's already happening, and we should keep it that way. <3

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
This topic is like zombie horse at this point.

The reason most people speculate that the Kairi/Sora ship, like every other ship in the games, has yet to sail is because...KH isn't about romantic love. It isn't about love that's exclusive between two people, and although Kairi and Sora have a special relationship, the game is really about Sora's ability to form unique and powerful relationships with just about anyone. In point of fact, Sora is as likely to start a romantic relationship with Riku as he is Kairi, because that's just the kind of person he is: he kind of loves everyone, in full, with few exceptions.

I expect and hope KH3 will be as ambiguous on the romantic front as the other games have been. A few indications one way or the other would be just fine, but if we get some kind of deep climactic kiss between ANYONE whoisn'troxasandaxel I'm gonna gag for days.

Basically, no, Sora and Kairi are not an item waiting to happen. Sora, Kairi and Riku are an item that's already happening, and we should keep it that way. <3

Again you form the argument as if you take the words out of my mouth, lol.

I don't know how often we already had this topic by now, but it always comes to nearly the same result in the end.

he kind of loves everyone, in full, with few exceptions.
This is in short the general description of how Sora "ticks", and Ansem the Wise actually hinted towards this at the end of DDD while Sora's own behaviour also points in that direction, as seen in his interactions with Riku, Roxas in DDD, Naminé, heck, even Neku from TWEWY. This is one of the reasons why I am looking forward to when Sora finally interacts in person with Ventus, the person he's connected to since his birth and a connection his heart choose to make.
Sora doesn't take favorites.
If people really are hellbent on having romantic and other related elements thrown in I am almost inclined to believe that Sora may be polyamorous and/or bisexual.

Sokai4vr951

[/QUOTE]I am almost inclined to believe that Sora may be polyamorous and/or bisexual.[/QUOTE]

.....-_- i just cannot see that happening in a disney game I'm sorry i just can't, i had always believe Sora and Kairi would share a paopu fruit someday but i guess not the way i imagined it, i blame who ever wrote that scene in the cave in KH1, i mean really if nomura never wanted sokai to happen why let that scene show up on the final game, he couldve removed it, then people wouldnt have to assume sokai will happen

btw i'm not homophobic i support gay rights all the way. ;)

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
.....-_- i just cannot see that happening in a disney game I'm sorry i just can't

If you look at my sentence beforehand you'll notice that this was my reaction on the fandom insisting on romantic stuff being included with the original characters in KH.
If we have it my way this topic won't even be addressed in-game or in-canon, with neither Kairi, Naminé, Riku, Donald, Roxas, Ven or whoever the fandom likes to pair Sora with. All that stuff should remain there, in the fandom and fanon works.

Nomuraaaa, make this happen~! :'D

Nope, better not, I am actually pretty content with this particular topic being kept ambigious throughout the series.
One of the very few series which manages to remain consistently without the annoying romance aspects that plague media nowadays. It's like there cannot be a work anymore without a shoehorned romance. I even read recently that they plan to introduce a totally new original female elven character in "The Hobbit", a character never even hinted by Tolkien anywhere. That alone in itself would not be the end of the world, but they of course have to shoehorn in a romance subplot somehow, bleh.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Nope, better not, I am actually pretty content with this particular topic being kept ambigious throughout the series.
One of the very few series which manages to remain consistently without the annoying romance aspects that plague media nowadays. It's like there cannot be a work anymore without a shoehorned romance. I even read recently that they plan to introduce a totally new original female elven character in "The Hobbit", a character never even hinted by Tolkien anywhere. That alone in itself would not be the end of the world, but they of course have to shoehorn in a romance subplot somehow, bleh.
Eheheh, I was mostly joking, but hey, you wouldn't have to have a romantic story to establish that Sora is beautifully queer. I specifically appealed to Nomura to make this happen; my ideal scenario would simply involve him walking into an interview and saying, "Yes, Sora is most definitely gay or at least not totally straight," (except in Japanese) and then walking out. TA DAH all of my dreams fulfilled and no damage done to the series. :p
I too would prefer the romantic elements remain unaddressed. They aren't even remotely relevant to the story, and like I said, they would detract from the greater message of the series, which is Sora's uninhibited compassion for most everyone. That's what makes him the hero he is. There's plenty of well-written and, well, written fanfiction and doujinshi and the like for people to get their ship fix from, whatever their persuasion may be. Trust me, I know~.

Totally off topic but if you're talking about the potential courtship on the part of Killi, it sounds more like a one-sided, humorous affair (which is literally doomed to failure for reasons ;_;). Also I'm super excited for Tauriel to appear because
a) Evangeline Lilly, enough said
b) PROMINENT FEMALE CHARACTER. I mean really, An Unexpected Journey was good but there were zero significant female characters who were not Galadriel (who was just a cameo) and it was totally unacceptable. I was gagging on the maleness of that movie. And I usually mean that in a good way. D:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Blech, no.

No romance in Kingdom Hearts, barring the unavoidable predetermined Disney romances.

But between the original characters? Maybe if I wanted to puke forever. That's not what these games are about, it has no place. Never did.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
.....-_- i just cannot see that happening in a disney game I'm sorry i just can't, i had always believe Sora and Kairi would share a paopu fruit someday but i guess not the way i imagined it, i blame who ever wrote that scene in the cave in KH1, i mean really if nomura never wanted sokai to happen why let that scene show up on the final game, he couldve removed it, then people wouldnt have to assume sokai will happen

btw i'm not homophobic i support gay rights all the way. ;)

Uhm, you do know that sharing a paopu fruit at the base only means to form a meaningful connection? The romantic annotations made to it are only an interpretation like so many other incidents and issues in the series. It's not Nomura's (or anyone of the writer's fault) that you (and others) interpret that cave painting as a definite proof of romance on the horizon and take it as a given that "SoKai" will happen.
Almost every scene can be interpreted differently, and of course no one in his/her right mind should say that you cannot interpret it as romantic hint, as that interpretation is also valid. Yet to deduce from this interpretation that it has to happen is not a very good idea.
Nomura personally doesn't care about shipping, in the very first draft he made of KH 1's story, in which Chernabog was the main villain together with Maleficent, there didn't even exist a "Kairi" just as there didn't exist an "Ansem".

Did I ever imply that you are?

Eheheh, I was mostly joking, but hey, you wouldn't have to have a romantic story to establish that Sora is beautifully queer. I specifically appealed to Nomura to make this happen; my ideal scenario would simply involve him walking into an interview and saying, "Yes, Sora is most definitely gay or at least not totally straight," (except in Japanese) and then walking out. TA DAH all of my dreams fulfilled and no damage done to the series. :p
I too would prefer the romantic elements remain unaddressed. They aren't even remotely relevant to the story, and like I said, they would detract from the greater message of the series, which is Sora's uninhibited compassion for most everyone. That's what makes him the hero he is. There's plenty of well-written and, well, written fanfiction and doujinshi and the like for people to get their ship fix from, whatever their persuasion may be. Trust me, I know~.

Totally off topic but if you're talking about the potential courtship on the part of Killi, it sounds more like a one-sided, humorous affair (which is literally doomed to failure for reasons ;_;). Also I'm super excited for Tauriel to appear because
a) Evangeline Lilly, enough said
b) PROMINENT FEMALE CHARACTER. I mean really, An Unexpected Journey was good but there were zero significant female characters who were not Galadriel (who was just a cameo) and it was totally unacceptable. I was gagging on the maleness of that movie. And I usually mean that in a good way. D:

Hah? Do you have Nomura's EMail address so you can appeal to him? *ggg*
Lol, knowing Nomura though he would give an answer more on the line of "What a sort of question is that? I never thought about it and in the end I don't care, fans can use their imagination and make up something themselves.", as I remember faintly that he already had something similar with the supposed "love triangle" in FF VII and he wasn't particularly keen on that question.

This one word for word, I couldn't have formulated it better.
It's also seemingly a phenomena that pops up more often especially in the western world that people seem to regard "romantic" love as somewhat worth more or more significant than the other forms which are highlighted more in the KH series. This coupled with the common misunderstandings that in Japan some physical contact forms can mean different things than in the west can lead to somewhat misguided expectations.
And that's good, I am not a ferocious anti-shipper, nor do I have a problem with same-sex relationships, heck, I sometimes even read fanworks with those, but I have something against overboarding shipping and shipping wars as well as I firmly believe that stuff should stay in the realm of fanworks.
That the KH fandom is particulary notorious for the excessive shipping also does not help the case at all.

EDIT:
On that off-topic thing with "The Hobbit":
It's like that in the actual story though, and unlike in Lord of the Rings, where they gave Glorfindels original role to Arwen, a character that can be proven to be part of Tolkien's legendarium, this new character in "The Hobbit" has no base in the work, not even the side material.
I also don't see why An Unexpected Journey would be "unacceptable" on the merit that there isn't a prominent female character. A work doesn't need a "prominent" female character to be good, as the Fellowship also didn't contain any females nor to I think that there should be an obligation to include one left and right.
The other way around is also in the same vein though, as I for example would not want to have a "prominent male character" introduced just for the sake of having one or to provide a romance subplot in works with a more promonent female cast like i.e. Three Angels for Charlie or Tomb Raider.

Where's that topic?

*shuffles through internet*

Here it is!

http://forums.khinsider.com/future-kingdom-hearts/172641-resolution-sora-kairis-relationship.html

This topic alone is pretty much the consensus of what most people here feel about SoKai and since me and other people have become broken records on the matter I'll let my previous posts speak.

On the issue of sexuality, I like to think of at least Sora as unofficial pansexual~

Oh Ruran, epitome of effectiveness, I should probably follow your example and in the future just link my already made posts on this particular subject. ;D

Heh, that I could imagine as well, although I still haven't fully understood up to today what the real big difference between bi- and pansexual is as both essentially means that you don't really care about the sex of your partner.
I remember that there was also a rumor/quote circulating around from a developer interview from KH where someone (not Nomura!) said that all the KH original characters in KH are bisexual anyways, although I could never find an actual quote with source of that interview or who from Nomura's staff supposedly said it.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Oh Ruran, epitome of effectiveness, I should probably follow your example and in the future just link my already made posts on this particular subject. ;D

Heh, that I could imagine as well, although I still haven't fully understood up to today what the real big difference between bi- and pansexual is as both essentially means that you don't really care about the sex of your partner.
I remember that there was also a rumor/quote circulating around from a developer interview from KH where someone (not Nomura!) said that all the KH original characters in KH are bisexual anyways, although I could never find an actual quote with source of that interview or who from Nomura's staff supposedly said it.

Hehe, thanks! XD

Sexual orientation can be a tricky subject and I'm probably not the best person to talk about it but there are many different kinds of gender identities and sexes. Basically a bisexual person is attracted males and females while a pansexual person is "gender-blind" believing that another person's gender (and sex) is irrelevant.

Gender identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, Wiki, but I'm not all that well versed in this sort of thing.

I remember the rumor too but like the mysterious "Kairi wasn't there from the beginning, she was introduced because of Disney" and "Axel was intended to be gay" interviews it can never seem to be found~

Youniquee

Awards
I've gotta agree with the rest, I'd really just be best (and more peaceful around the fandom parts) if the romance is left ambiguous. and people just speculate it how they like. I really like how KH is just about friendship and friendship alone as that isn't explored in much stories, there always has to be some kind of romance some how.
Although, I've always thought Sora was pansexual/bisexual anyway lol (as others have said) he just loves everyone~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back