• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Soraalm1's New Video on Entitled Kingdom Hearts Fans

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Glad to see someone that can see that KH2 was rushed.

Pretty certain almost everybody on this site knows KH2 was rushed. Without even looking too far, you can see it in Nojima's script being absolute crap, dropping plot threads from the first 3 hours for the next 20 hours until the start of the end of the game. Or at the poor handling of map layouts...or the extremely hyped 1000 Heartless battle not even looking like it did in early trailers with Behemoths and Neoshadows.

Or the lack of iconic Heartless from the first game in general. Or the treatment of characters in general. Or the fact that FM was stuffed full of new content and cutscenes to fix the game.

I think anybody could go on about it.

Anagram

Banned
^ Wasn't the final mix of 2 basically things Nomura wanted to add the first time as well?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm sorry, but if you don't even have any interest in the side games, guess what: you're not a fan. Simple as that. I haven't played all the Kingdom Hearts games but I seen all the cut-scenes. Sure, that not game play but I still caught up in the lore because I am an invested fan.

redcrown

Awards
I'm sorry, but if you don't even have any interest in the side games, guess what: you're not a fan. Simple as that. I haven't played all the Kingdom Hearts games but I seen all the cut-scenes. Sure, that not game play but I still caught up in the lore because I am an invested fan.

Same here, seen the cutscenes for most of the games, even though I don't understand one drop of the lore past KH2.

I would call people who haven't 'half' or casual fans. It would be weird to say you are a fan, rather than just casually like KH, but completely ignore the sidegames (I would say Days and Coded are the most skipable though tbh)

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I don't think it's our place to decide what does and doesn't count as a "fan."

Ree

if we use your logic youre not a fan because you watched cutscenes instead of actually playing the games.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
To say someone's not a fan because they have no interest in the handheld titles is a bit much.

Not caring about those titles doesn't make them a non-fan or less of one, it just makes them a horribly confused one when they start playing III because they probably didn't know that the handheld titles were progressing the story. Not helped that the handheld titles are constantly referred to as "side-games" or "spinoffs' which to most people means "you don't absolutely need this as it's not necessary" as, oftentimes, that's what those terms generally mean.

Why else do some fans honestly say they've "been waiting 10 years" for KHIII if not because they believed the handheld games weren't needed?
It's not that they're not fans, it's that they've been misinformed.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I CANNOT blame people for not enjoying or even having the desire to play the handheld games-- If they enjoy the games on PS2 and prefer them to be on a certain par of quality that Nintendo DS CANNOT reach, and the PSP and 3DS have shown themselves to also come up short.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Right people have a lot of things in life that can interfere and make not playing side games possible. You can be a fan by just playing KH1 or from just reading some fanfics.

Then again hating on COM puts you on my shit list.

Ventus_

Awards

Under this logic, it shouldn't be acceptable to take a shortcut around playing the handhelds by learning their storylines solely through their cutscenes. Ergo, you, yourself by your own logic can not claim to be a fan.

Anyone who has completed at least the first game is a fan, why complete it if you are not? I wouldn't.
I believe the difference here is between those who take the time to learn and understand the storyline and those who are simply intrigued by the Disney aspect. To an extent, the latter are still fans because they like the game, they are still capable of making their way through it with an anxiousness to know what will happen next. I'm not saying that this is a high level of investment, but it's investment.

In addition, it must be granted that SE didn't properly establish the handheld installments as parts of the storyline. Such as calling KHII precisely that so that it's presented as chronologically coming directly after I and releasing Days after II with no clear establishment that it was pre-II.

When I first bought GBA CoM, all I thought was "yes, new Kingdom Hearts!" I actually didn't understand until long after completing II, sometime in the past few years, in fact, that CoM connected I and II.

With CoM in particular, the card system can be less appealing and when you add in that small GBA screen it can be quite unpleasant. I for had a difficult time judging my position in proportion with the enemy and it was difficult for me to see where exactly my keyblade was striking. For these reasons, I was turned off from it for quite some time (well that and I got stuck in areas).
It was more pleasurable for me to play it in Re, on the TV screen (I didn't know there was a PS version until after I already owned 1.5).
These are reasons folks might be reluctant to play the handhelds.

Though for me, personally it's lot better on the 3DS (I have Days). That's why I've just purchased DDD on Amazon so that I may learn it before III. It will be delivered Thursday thanks to my parent's Prime membership. The concept intrigues me.

Overall, I believe only each individual has the right to dictate whether or not they consider themselves a fan.

Last edited:

Precursor Mar

Investing hundreds of dollars into a bunch of different platforms just to play one game on each doesn't make you a fan, it makes you a retard.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Also in general I think the fans saying "they've been waiting 10 years for KH3" come from a different era in this series. They were around before any of the other side games (besides CoM) were made or even thought of; when KH1 and KH2 were about 5 years apart or less. All they had to go on for a future main title game was Mickey's letter in the secret ending, which wasn't revealed until the very end of Coded.

That, and they are probably most of all unsatisfied with the direction the series has taken since KH2, or even KH1. The bitterness comes from a place of feeling betrayed, and so feel "entitled" for KH3 to come and pay for its' sins.
Bull's eye. Honestly, I remember the wait for KH2 felt like torture. I wish present me could go back to past me and laugh in his face.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Investing hundreds of dollars into a bunch of different platforms just to play one game on each doesn't make you a fan, it makes you a retard.
The user literally talks about watching the cutscenes being a viable option instead of paying hundreds of dollars for different platforms just to play one title.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I don't think it's our place to decide what does and doesn't count as a "fan."

Of course, I don't have the right to point fingers to say that this person is or is not a fan, however, there is a definition for the word.

Fan: a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular thing.

So, following this logic, a fan would have a strong interest in the Kingdom Hearts series as a whole as opposed to Kingdom Hearts III. If you're devoted to a particular Kingdom Hearts game (say 1 and 2) then you are a fan of those particular games. But if somebody has an intrigue (you don't even have to like it, just have a sense of intrigue) for every Kingdom Hearts game created by Square Enix then that is what constitutes of being a Kingdom Hearts "fan" (at least from a strictly definitive perspective).

Kind of ironic that you use retard in a derogatory way, yet, I have not stated anything in regards to outright purchasing the games. Just watch the cut-scenes to understand the plot of the games for free. Sure, you're missing out on game play but it fixes the lore problem.

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards

That's just really unnecessarily rude…? You can defend your own opinion without resorting to childish name calling. Everyone is free to invest as much or as little of their time and money to a series as they want to. Who actually cares what someone else does, or calls themselves. If someone feels they're a fan, then it's not my place to say they're not. Why would I even care. Buy the games, just watch the cutscenes, or do none of those.

The only thing I find annoying about this are the ones who do none of those and still complain that they're missing on the story. It's 2016, you can watch everything on Youtube for free if you don't want to support the company. I don't like the console spread either, but they're free to do with their game what they want. SE doesn't OWE you to be able to play all the games on one console. The remixes are a pretty good compromise anyway, so I don't see the problem here.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The only thing I find annoying about this are the ones who do none of those and still complain that they're missing on the story. It's 2016, you can watch everything on Youtube for free if you don't want to support the company. I don't like the console spread either, but they're free to do with their game what they want. SE doesn't OWE you to be able to play all the games on one console. The remixes are a pretty good compromise anyway, so I don't see the problem here.

This is practically the main gist of it.
People are free to not follow the side titles for both the reasons of not having the money or not having the deeper interest.
They're still just as much a fan of the work as the dedicated ones.

However those have really no business to complain or bitch about the story when they can't be bothered to actually follow it as there are enough possibilities nowadays to get on par with required knowledge without needing to buy several consoles.
It has been stated more than once that these other titles are important to the overall story and that you can in fact NOT follow it by just playing KH 1 and 2 while being an (read this as a purposefully exaggerated statement) entitled elitist fan who decries any entry of the series not having a roman numeral and not being on a home console as "unneccessary".

---

On a side note on this "waiting for 10 years for KH III"-issue, that really comes over as ignorant and entitled because it was officially stated that there would be no KH III for quite a while.
This isn't like Versus XIII/FF XV which was announced and then descended into development hell for several years, making fans of that title arguably right to feel cheated and "betrayed" somewhat. KH III literally was not a thing which was stated more than once.

It is true that the handling of the handheld titles and also their quality leaves much to desire in some areas, as well as the mess that Versus XIII turned out to be resulting in a much bigger time gap I think even Nomura expected, but that still doesn't change the fact that these fans were literally "waiting" for something that was announced to not come several times during the time period 2005 to 2011/2012.
It was only around 2011/2012 that it was even confirmed that there would indeed be a KH III at all with Nomura speaking about some concept work and Re: Coded as well as Blank Points from BBS pointing towards KH III, but the official announcement was only at E3 2013 and strictly spoken that's the date one can earnestly start to count waiting time.
Anyone who was "waiting" for KH III in the years between 2005 and 2011/2012 was actually waiting for/chasing a non-existent phantom or a victim of wishful thinking. Any feeling of "betrayal" or similar is unwarranted simply because neither Disney, Nomura nor SE ever declared/promised anything that could be betrayed.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
People don't wait for games the moment they're "announced." They wait for a story to continue after they finish playing an entry in the series. And people who have been wanting the story to continue from KH2 have been waiting for a decade. Coded and 3D are the only games that've come close to satisfying that interest, but in the end they were just detours. Sorry if that's a difficult perspective to understand for some people...

I find it hard to feel sympathy for SE that they have a whiny fandom because they're to blame for the way things are. *shrug* Moreover, I can't really go off on people who haven't watched cutscenes for free that bitch about the story because I've played the games and it's still a mess.

redcrown

Awards
People don't wait for games the moment they're "announced." They wait for a story to continue after they finish playing an entry in the series. And people who have been wanting the story to continue from KH2 have been waiting for a decade. Coded and 3D are the only games that've come close to satisfying that interest, but in the end they were just detours. Sorry if that's a difficult perspective to understand for some people...

I find it hard to feel sympathy for SE that they have a whiny fandom because they're to blame for the way things are. *shrug* Moreover, I can't really go off on people who haven't watched cutscenes for free that bitch about the story because I've played the games and it's still a mess.

question: is it true or just a rumor that Disney had forced Nomura to add the King's letter scene at the end of KH2 (because Disney loves making sequels and hooks, and Nomura actually wanted to wrap up making KH games) or else they wouldn't let him make the game with their Disney properties? Sounds silly yet slightly plausible.

And yes I agree that people don't wait for or listen to official announcements for sequels. They go by the end of the current or previous titles in that ever hinted of a sequel to come, which KH2 did.

I personally haven't been dying for KH3 the entire time I've been a fan, moreso since just DDD. I didn't take the King's letter scene in KH2 that seriously. But I can understand people's frustrations of waiting for KH3 since then.

Last edited:
Awards
question: is it true or just a rumor that Disney had forced Nomura to add the King's letter scene at the end of KH2 (because Disney loves making sequels and hooks, and Nomura actually wanted to wrap up in making KH games) or else they wouldn't let him make the game with their Disney properties? Sounds silly yet slightly plausible.
I don't think that's true. Disney expressed interest in a sequel after KH2 was done, I believe, and Nomura already had concepts for BBS in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back